Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 July, 2016, 10:48:57 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 July, 2016, 09:24:08 AM
Edge of Tomorrow, which we really, really enjoyed. It's a total blast, not sure why it seems to have passed under the general radar to some degree.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought it was great fun.

If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend Sicario for another helping of Emily Blunt being awesome.

Noted thanks, I'll check that out!

Satanist

Quote from: NapalmKev on 25 July, 2016, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 02:28:07 PM
I really can't teach myself to like Bond, after successive disappointments i'm struggling to find a single instalment I found anything redeemable about.

On Her Majestys Secret Service is a favourite of mine, although many seem to hate it. The greatest ever Bond film is Live and let Die.

Bond films aren't as fun as they used to be!

Cheers

Live and Let Die has the best theme but as its Roger Moore it can never be the best film.

I also like OHMSS

Goldfinger is ofcourse the correct answer  ;)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

I always liked Roger Moore best - he's the only one who treated it as the ridiculous fantasy that it is.
My favourite is 'The Spy Who Loved Me' but 'Live and Let Die' is also ace. 'The Man with the Golden Gun' and 'A View to a Kill' have the best baddies.

Hawkmumbler

It's all tacky, out dated tripe IMHO. Which is even more disturbing in Scepter because lord would have hopped by 2015 the chauvenism would have been dialled down a bit!

Professor Bear

Bond has covered so much ground that I would go so far as to say that if there isn't a Bond for you, you're possibly determined not to find one.  My nieces adore Die Another Day, for instance - and yes, they've heard the theme - as well as Skyfall - again, yes, they've heard the theme.

I did a chronological watch-through a few years ago and I probably like The Living Daylights most of all, as Dalton doesn't really get much credit for it, but he isn't afraid to play Bond as a cold, unlikable thug in contrast to Moore's camp superhero.  Also he teams up with Taliban heroin smugglers at one point, a plot element which has dated about as well as one might expect.

Hawkmumbler

I just don't care much for the character, or what kind of institute he represents, finding it crass, boring and out modded. I tried, honestly, I go into these things with an open mind, why do you think I watch so much exploitation cinema and come out genuinely enjoying myself? But Bond? There's nothing there for me.

paddykafka

So can we assume that you were shaken but not stirred? :lol:

Professor Bear

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Satanist on 25 July, 2016, 05:50:41 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 25 July, 2016, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 02:28:07 PM
I really can't teach myself to like Bond, after successive disappointments i'm struggling to find a single instalment I found anything redeemable about.

On Her Majestys Secret Service is a favourite of mine, although many seem to hate it. The greatest ever Bond film is Live and let Die.

Bond films aren't as fun as they used to be!

Cheers

Live and Let Die has the best theme but as its Roger Moore it can never be the best film.

I also like OHMSS

Goldfinger is ofcourse the correct answer  ;)

Goldfinger is clearly the best. Although I have always enjoyed Dr. No. It's less about cars and gadgets, instead it has Bond gathering intelligence, talking to informants and doing reconnaissance and general spy stuff which is largely absent from every movie that followed.

The Man with the Golden Gun is also great, but that's mostly down to Christopher Lee.

I read years ago Patrick McGoohan turned down the role of Bond.  That would have been something to see.
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

While I think it probably should be You Only Live Twice or Spy Who Love Me I'm going to go against the grain and say Goldeneye. Brosnon is horribly under-rated due to getting increasing poor films, but he started with a really bang. Its so glorious aware that its Bond and all that Bond used to represent, while acknowledging gleefully that it, and indeed us, should know better. Its the summation of Bond movies. Its Bond distilled to purest form.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 25 July, 2016, 05:50:41 PM
Incorrect. Live and Let Die is the best film (and song) by miles, therefore Moore is the best Bond.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Okokok but can we all agre Die Another Day is hilarious?! :lol:

Professor Bear

I have a theory that Die Another Day is two really great Bond movies that don't gel in any way: one film of the Connery school in which Bond is wounded, hurt and framed as a traitor to his country by a mole in MI6, and another film that takes its cue from the Moore era, with ice fortresses, invisible cars, orbiting death lasers, a supervillain with a face made of diamonds called Mister Kill, and a final fistfight with Iron Man inside a burning plane heading for North Korea.
Either of these films would be awesome on their own, but for entirely different reasons, so when mushed together they just alienate both schools of Bond fans: those who like it silly and those who like it gritty.

futureimperfect

Central Intelligence

Going in I wasn't expecting much. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan and The Rock is....well lets just say I've only really seen him in the Fast And Furious films....'nuff said on that then.

Anyway, the film. I found myself laughing out loud several times. In fact I was even in tears at one point. So many reference jokes. A lot of which seemed to go over the audiences heads going off the reactions. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and while the plot is fairly predictable there are a few unexpected turns it takes, plus the addition of a cast member who was not shown in any trailers that brought a smile to my face [spoiler]Yeah Bitch![/spoiler]

If you are going to the cinema for the sake of going out and nothing tickles your fancy, give this a whirl. Also it's a good one to take the wife/girlfriend to. The Rock minus clothes always gets a reaction from the female audience

7/10

Apestrife

El Topo

Saw it last night. Hadn't seen it in a while. Reminded me a bit of a good Lee Hazlewood song: equal bits cowboy and psychadelic.

Oddly touching in all it's weirdness. Especially when El topo hooks up with the dwarf woman. It has a certain dignity to it.

Very much recommended.