Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I'm probably in the minority here, but personally I've been enjoyed Saul even more than Breaking Bad. It's fantastic!

Theblazeuk

Stranger Things on Netflix is really good, at least 4 episodes in. It's caught our attention in a way that Preacher et al have kind of struggled to do.

TordelBack

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 July, 2016, 10:12:43 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but personally I've been enjoyed Saul even more than Breaking Bad. It's fantastic!

I love Breaking Bad, but there's a lot to be said for the confident relaxed pacing of BCS, and the less cartoonish characterisations. The complexity and sheer monstrousness of Chuck is as terrifying as any Gus Fring. Like everyone else, i think Mike is just magnificent, but for me Slippin' Jimmy takes the prize: what a complete character.

Dandontdare

Since discovering I'd accidentally paid for a whole year Amazon Prime back in February, I've been trying to get my money's worth. I've watched Preacher up to date (review on that thread: https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=39623.msg922679#msg922679)

I've also been watching Lucifer and man in the High castle.

I don't know what top say about Lucifer. They've taken a dark and complex graphic novel full of theology and metaphysics and turned it into a mismatched-buddy-cop comedy.  :o As far as such things go, it's not bad, and every now and then they seem to remember what their source materiel is and we get Mazikeen being a bit evil or a threatening angel showing up, but it's a pretty piss-poor adaptation of one of my favourite series.

Man in the High Castle on the other hand has been fantastic. I've devoured all 10 episodes in a week and want more now! I don't think I ever read the book, so I was a bit confused about some of it. [spoiler]I couldn't understand why the trade minister seemed so intent on helping Juliana when he clearly know who she was, and why he has her necklace, when she left it for Frank to find. And then that revelation in the last 5 minutes of the final episode - WOW - is that the first time he's done that or has he been dimension hopping all along? Was he in love with a Juliana counterpart in 'our' world? Is he the Man in the High Castle? I guess these are all things I'll have to wait for season 2 to answer.[/spoiler]

It's a brilliant production, visually arresting and all the casting seems spot on. Love it.

Satanist

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 July, 2016, 10:18:23 AM
Stranger Things on Netflix is really good, at least 4 episodes in. It's caught our attention in a way that Preacher et al have kind of struggled to do.

We watched 5 eps of this last night and will prob finish it tonight. Its that good. I'd sum it up as Speilberg makes a Stephen King show in the 80's.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Theblazeuk

Just finished it last night. Devastated as we've got nothing more to watch and it was thoroughly enjoyable...

Trent

Finished 11.22.63. Really good, what I like was how King thought of the idea 40 years ago but as with much of his work the whole initial hook turns out to be a shaggy dog story that comes down to a poem read at the end with the overarching message of accept and make the best of what you have.
Typically bittersweet ending with James Franco making a much better everyman than the miscast Christopher Walken in the otherwise excellent Dead Zone (normally love the guy). The whole essence of the lead characters were that they were thoroughly decent blokes in extraordinary circumstances and Franco caught that and a joie de vivre perfectly.

Tiplodocus

Have been poorly so bunged all ten episodes of THE PACIFIC  over the last two and a bit days.

Despite similar production team it's completely different in tone and style to Band Of Brothers; really goes out of it's way to show up the brutality of this theatre of war and the impact it has on minds and at home (issues only skirted around in BOB). The Okinawa episode (9, I think) being the stand out for me - I don't  think I've seen historical events so accurately and grusomely rendered. Well worth ten hours of your time (but be warned it has soapy elements and even... women).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Well I finished Stranger Things last night and loved it. Great wee series which I may just watch again with the kids.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Magnetica

Better Call Saul versus Breaking Bad. For me it's no contest - got to be BB.

The problem I have with BCS, and it may well just be me, is we know how it ends up and more to the point what doesn't happen i.e. Jimmy doesn't end up with Kim and given the amount of time spent on that, for me it's a problem. We also know he doesn't end up as a hot shot lawyer at a big firm, so when he gets the job at Kim's firm we know it must all end, just not how.

Having said all that, I still watch it and enjoy it.

(On the other hand, I never had a problem with the Strontium Dog stories set before Johnny's death, but I guess that just shows what a great writer John Wagner is.)

Mardroid

The Wrong Mans on Netflix.

Don't let the name put you off. And don't let the fact it co-stars James Corden* put you off. I haven't finished the first series yet (although I'm just about to watch episode 5) but so far I have found this a very amusing , twisty turny series. Essentially it follows the concept of a guy finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and trying to extricate himself and [spoiler]later do the right thing[/spoiler], along with his annoying if well meaning mate. Served with plenty of black (and yes some silly) humour I think it's really worth your time. Unless you really hate James Corden that much*. He does pretty much play his usual type of character, but I think it works here.

* I actually don't have a problem with the guy myself. In fact I rather like him, but from comments I've read elsewhere, I get the impression, many don't like him. Or maybe it was just a couple of vocal people.     

Professor Bear

The Chris Gethard Show - available in its entirety on Youtube from its cable access beginnings to its Wayne's World-style shift to a regular network - is a chat show for non-conformists described as "sad" and "the epitome of hipster bullshit" by it's own host, an improv comedian with occasionally-apparent anxiety issues.
I'm not a fan of chat shows, but this is surprisingly good fun.  The raw earlier episodes from the days when the show was little more than something you'd expect to see run up by teenagers in a local technical college have a rough charm, but the "official" episodes from the Fusion network are reminiscent of The Graham Norton Show, or what that would be like if there weren't any mean jokes and the host wasn't smug and judgmental about the public.
If you work at your computer, try putting it on in the background for a while.

Tiplodocus

FARGO Season 2 on Netflix.

Enjoying this and the episode that looks like it is shaping up to be Assault on Precinct 13 is one of teh best bits of telly I've seen in a long time; full of brilliant tension, great dialogue, cracking character bits and unexpected plot twists and turns.

And this followed by a great Miller's Crossing referencing scene in the next episode (it *must* have been deliberate choice to use Danny Boy on the soundtrack).

It's deliberately larger in scale than other Fargos; instead of one little crime/mistake spiralling out of control, this one has two plots feeding off each other and getting bigger and better.

The casting and performances are all great including an aged Ted Danson.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 July, 2016, 12:21:21 PM

Enjoying this and the episode that looks like it is shaping up to be Assault on Precinct 13 is one of teh best bits of telly I've seen in a long time; full of brilliant tension, great dialogue, cracking character bits and unexpected plot twists and turns.

Yes. All of this. Quite brilliant... just fantastic television from start to finish.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 July, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 July, 2016, 12:21:21 PM

Yes. All of this. Quite brilliant... just fantastic television from start to finish.

Oh nice, UK Netflix? I only caught a little of season 1 but have been meaning to get around to it. Have heard nothing but strong praise for season 2.

EDIT: (Just had a look for meself, and it is indeed UK Netflix)