Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Tjm86

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 July, 2016, 10:13:48 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 18 July, 2016, 09:58:37 PM
How many worlds have you lot been to 😂

Pete is from Sunderland you know. Anything else is going to look ordinary in comparison.

Hey, could be worse, he could be from <shudder> Suffolk </shudder>!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 18 July, 2016, 09:58:37 PM
How many worlds have you lot been to 😂

Arh but that's kinda the point see I've only been to one and so when I see a Starie Wars movie (or Doctorie Who) I don't want it to look like that one.

Professor Bear

Apparently it's been shot with lots of shakycam to make it look like a war documentary.

Presumably to differentiate it from all the other sci-fi stuff of the last decade.

Mardroid

I'm happy for them to do things a bit different, as long as it doesn't contradict the parts of the larger story already told. And they keep shaky-cam to a minimum.

One thing that troubles me a bit, aren't Rogue Squadron meant to be fighter pilots? The majority of the stuff I've seen suggests they're more like a commando squad in this film. I suppose they could be both, like navy seals. Two things at once I mean. I'm not suggesting Navy Seals are also fighter pilots.   

I'm glad for some ground-based stuff, as a film just filled with dogfighting could get old quick, but I've seen precious little from the footage, although my memory isn't great on that score.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 July, 2016, 10:34:42 PMOne thing that troubles me a bit, aren't Rogue Squadron meant to be fighter pilots? The majority of the stuff I've seen suggests they're more like a commando squad in this film. I suppose they could be both, like navy seals. Two things at once I mean. I'm not suggesting Navy Seals are also fighter pilots.

I'm presuming the titular Rogue One is a code name that only refers to one person, the main character or her father, rather than Luke's own Rogue Group from Empire - I believe the exploits of the alternately named Rogue Squadron now occupy the purgatory of SW Legends and have yet to be elevated to whatever canon is these days.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 July, 2016, 10:13:48 PM
Pete is from Sunderland you know. Anything else is going to look ordinary in comparison.

"Sunderland. There has never been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy..."

Mardroid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 July, 2016, 10:51:06 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 19 July, 2016, 10:34:42 PMOne thing that troubles me a bit, aren't Rogue Squadron meant to be fighter pilots? The majority of the stuff I've seen suggests they're more like a commando squad in this film. I suppose they could be both, like navy seals. Two things at once I mean. I'm not suggesting Navy Seals are also fighter pilots.

I'm presuming the titular Rogue One is a code name that only refers to one person, the main character or her father, rather than Luke's own Rogue Group from Empire - I believe the exploits of the alternately named Rogue Squadron now occupy the purgatory of SW Legends and have yet to be elevated to whatever canon is these days.

Hmm. I wondered if the fighter pilots of the novels were a purely EU invention. I couldn't remember if they'd been mentioned by that name in the films. I do remember 'Red' and 'Gold' being mentioned so I guess they were the canonical fighter pilot teams. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 July, 2016, 11:25:54 PMHmm. I wondered if the fighter pilots of the novels were a purely EU invention. I couldn't remember if they'd been mentioned by that name in the films. I do remember 'Red' and 'Gold' being mentioned so I guess they were the canonical fighter pilot teams.

If I remember correctly, Luke is named Rogue Leader in the Hoth attack.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 July, 2016, 12:09:22 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 19 July, 2016, 11:25:54 PMHmm. I wondered if the fighter pilots of the novels were a purely EU invention. I couldn't remember if they'd been mentioned by that name in the films. I do remember 'Red' and 'Gold' being mentioned so I guess they were the canonical fighter pilot teams.
Given

If I remember correctly, Luke is named Rogue Leader in the Hoth attack.

Yep, the snowspeeders in Empire are Rogue Group - the first time we hear the 'Rogue' callsign is Rogue Two (Zev) when he finds Han and Luke. Luke is later 'copied' as Rogue Leader. Given the nature of the Alliance, a diversified brief for a combat group seems logical. And of course Luke's Rogue Group could well be named in honour of the non-pilot group of Rogue One, whose success with the Death Star gave him his opportunity to shine.

Goaty

Goaty

Colin YNWA

Yep I'll say looks fun. Love the developing Star Wars theme, prefect for the story being told and while it looks like a fairly typical putting the ban of misfits together story all seems to have been done with a deft hand.

Yeah I think this looks good, fingers crossed.

shaolin_monkey

It looks like The Dirty Dozen in space. That works for me!

Goaty

I loved that Death Star eclipse of the sun scene.