Main Menu

IMDb Top 250 - The Quest!

Started by Buttonman, 05 December, 2007, 05:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

M is brilliant.

When he realised he has the M print on his back is classic.

Peter Wolf

Its a bit odd all the fuss about Shawshank Redemption.I thinks its a great film that i have seen 3 times now.

Its a 2 in the list.It wasnt a particularly successful film on release but since then it has had a life of its own and has a huge devoted fan following.

I would recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it and it has a very positive message to it but i cant quite see why its as popular and has such a huge fanbase as it does.

I would recommend The Green Mile [no 124] as its on very similar lines to Shawshank.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Buddy

Aliens higher than Raging Bull!

You have got to be fucking kidding me!

davidbishop

119 definites, probably another 20 I can't recall if I'm seen them from end to end.

Mardroid

Aliens higher than Raging Bull!

You have got to be fucking kidding me!

I don't think think I've seen Raging Bull although the name is familiar.

I have seen Aliens though, and that's got to be one of the best sci-fi action/horror films there is.

vzzbux

89 definates of those titles for me and I am surprised how diverse my viewing is. Probably a few I am not sure about. I have a few on DVD which I have yet to watch and probably never will as they are in the missus's selection.

It does bring in to context how much time is wasted watching films and TV but what the fuck if they are enjoyable.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Buddy

I have seen Aliens though, and that's got to be one of the best sci-fi action/horror films there is.

I must have seen a different Aliens to everyone else, 'cause the one I seen was a steaming pile of shit.

AlexF

Button, you're a man who pursues many noble quests, and this is one I share. I've whittled my tally down to 45 left to see, but of course the list keeps changing; new films especially seem to launch into the top 100 sometimes and then disappear rapidly. Not surprisingly it's the old and foreign stuff I haven't seen.

My pick of the more obscure titles would be
'The Wages of Fear' and 'Les Diaboliques'

I'm never going to complete this quest though as I absolutely refuse to watch 'Life is Beautiful'.

Judge Olde

Looking at the top 50:-

I can't see why any Star Wars films are in there to be honest. I really like Shawshank, but how its at number two I don't know . . .

As for The Godfather at number 1... it is a very good film, but two is better still . . .

Floyd-the-k

I've only seen 104 of them. Mind you, there's some odd choices there - I guess it's a list of popular movies, not automatically of great ones.  I tried to watch the Lord of the Rings movie and could never get past the first ten minutes, likewise with the snore inducing fourth, fifth and sixth Star Wars film.
  I loved 'Wings of Desire' myself. I'm enjoying Seven Samurai now, watching it in bits.
  Most shameful admission?  Umm, that I haven't seen 'Double Indemnity'.  
  Sadest quest; well, I'd very much like to read every James Bond book ever written, even the bloody awful non Fleming and non-Amis ones. Does that count?

WoD

100 give or take.  Probably a few more.  Some weird positions though as you get on most of these types of charts.

worldshown

Seen 83 of those.

Shockingly, only seen three of the top 10 (Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction and Empire Strikes Back).

Bad Andy

Yup, it's one of the very few films that actually justifies the emotional payoff at the end.

I seem to be the only person who hates It's a Wonderful Life because of the ending. MILD SPOILER - IMO he doesn't change his mind because of the good he has caused, he does it because he is scared that no-one recognises him.

I've clearly missed the point and blame Dave Lister for raising expectations.

I've watched 87 on that list, but I have no respect for it as a good 20 per cent of the films are not classics. I don't know what they are doing on there.

SamuelAWilkinson

My score's 96, discounting any that were just on in the background and that I didn't pay much attention to.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Tiplodocus

I did see a sketch once that had it's list ending with:

STAR WARS
THE SIMPSONS
WHATEVER I SAW LAST WEEK

My sad quest was to travel in every mode of transport that James Bond has.  It's got to be specific - car isn't good enough but Aston Martin DB5 would be.

Obviously I'll never get into a Space Shuttle or Little Nellie but I've managed a few like driving down a cliff hanging off the top of a landrover, one of those overpowered jet boats, bungee jumping, freefall and been on (but not travelled in) submarines.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!