Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 October, 2016, 07:23:57 PM
Okay turns out we'd finished Better Call Sol series one, we just hadn't realsied. Which is kinda weird. Cos we get it on our Lovefilm thingie I'd not been paying attention and assumed it was like 12 or so episodes so we waited for the next disk and nowt shown up. Looking back i can kinda see how where it ended was kinda an ending, but it clearly lacked impact.

To me Better call Saul's first season is a bit like Breaking Bad's first one. Not bad at all, but best seen together with the second. Each season also seem to bleed into the other even more than before. Season premiers beginning beginning straight off where the last season ended.

Really like that it's a different beast than Breaking bad. A good change up.

My only grip is that I feel it relies a bit too much on Breaking bad at times. Would'v liked a bit more organic arc for some of the characters. The reveal of [spoiler]Tuco[/spoiler] more or less relies on that I know who he is, and similarly [spoiler]Mike's[/spoiler] story arc. Still great. I like that it doesn't feel the need to be as dramatic as BB.

Tiplodocus

Recently binged Belfast set serial killer drama THE FALL starring Gillian Anderson.

Goodness it likes to go at it's own glacial pace but still manages to be very tense. Not sure if Anderson's performance and  delivery drives the pace or vice versa.

Some great reversals of serial killer expectations, seemingly full family stuff pays off ten episodes later, a fantastic supporting characters that broaden your interest and make the whole thing better (like The Simpsons supporting cast) (and well cast; Richard Coyle as an ER Doctor was particularly good).

And is it just me or are the women well written. (Though there can be some ogling).

I reckon you could do worse than spend 12 hours in Love film and IPlayer catching up with this. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

The latest season of Black Mirror arriving on Netflix finally spurred me to go back and watch the episodes I had missed of season 2, before delving in to the brand new episodes. Thoughts:

White Bear
I thought this one was just fine, though a bit far fetched and heavy handed. The best part of the episode (as is often the case with BM) was the mid-credits stings.

The Waldo Moment
Genuinely unsettling. You don't need to be a genius to see the parallels between the events of this episode and what is happening right now with Trump. In many ways the events portrayed are actually a lot more tame than what is happening right now. One of the strongest episodes yet. Chilling.

White Christmas
Somewhat of a mixed bag, but stronger overall than I'd been led to believe. The first and third stories were stronger by far than the middle section, and the ending was superb. Deliciously bleak.

The National Anthem
I'd actually already seen this one, but decided to rewatch. I remember the reception to this one being a bit mixed, but I think it's unequivocally great. Ballsy, uncomfortable and darkly hilarious. An amazing mission statement for the series as a whole.

Nosedive
Another fantastic one, and a great 'opener' for season 3. As with a few other BM eps, it dances right on the line of being a little bit too literal and heavy handed, but it works. Amazingly well put together on (what I assume) is a fairly limited budget. Bryce Dallas Howard gives an amazing performance. Adorable and heartbreaking.

San Junipero
Another very, very strong episode, and something a little different from the usual BM milieu. Excellent performances from the two leads - I believe the actress that plays Kelly has a role in Star Wars Episode 8. Good - she's incredibly talented and charismatic. The other actress I'd seen in things before (Halt & Catch Fire) and I think she's great too.

Overall, I've been fairly blown away by a series that I'd neglected (probably due to hearing mixed things about). This series is also a treasure trove for Game of Thrones fans, who get to see Maester Luwin, Osha, Edmure Tully and Talisa Stark again!

Hawkmumbler

You know, Ultraman (1966) has a lot to offer for fans of a certain classic Doctor Who vintage. The 39 episode series see's the SSSP fight of Japanese variations of many of the Hartnell era aliens, only with giant men in rubber suits wrestling at the end of each episode. Formulaic, maybe, but also tremendous fun. But nowhere  is streaming Ultra Q, the series prototype!

Tony Angelino

I've been watching Planet Earth 2 on BBC.

I haven't seen the first series though so I'm not really sure what's going on.

radiator

Genuinely gutted that I can't watch Planet Earth II right now, being in the US. I don't think it's available here until January. Would be the perfect thing to watch right now to take my mind off all the craziness.

Dandontdare

I think the discovery of this parallel earth is very exciting news, and kudos to Attenborough and the BBC for being the first to document it.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 27 October, 2016, 05:45:38 PM
The latest season of Black Mirror arriving on Netflix finally spurred me to go back and watch the episodes I had missed of season 2, before delving in to the brand new episodes. Thoughts:

Did you skip Ep2 & 3 of season 3? I thought 'Shut up and Dance' was classically dark, though my least favourite so far. 'Playtest' was very interesting as I had spent the afternoon prior to watching in my work's gadget room, showing off VR technology and testing out new kit. Still beyond that slightly eerie link it was a bit slow to work up to the real horror available in the concept, and sort of rushed rapidly through all the best bits.

Hawkmumbler

So what do I do when i'm bored stiff packing? Catalog all my BD's/DVD's online. Oh aren't I exciting...

This isn't everything, mind. Still have a lot of stuff to add.

Mardroid

I don't think I'd call it an addiction, but I've been watching the anime Cowboy Bebop for the first time on Netflix and quite enjoying it.

Essentially science fiction about bounty hunters with strong Western imagery, so it has a lot in common with a certain 2000AD property, but it is very different too.

It's kinda cheesy in places. The characters sometimes seem a bit over the top in , quite funny in places.

Theblazeuk

That soundtrack, that style. See you later Space Cowboy....

Mardroid

Currently watching The Expanse on Netflix. Good stuff so far.

HdE

Quote from: Mardroid on 21 November, 2016, 02:52:01 AM
I don't think I'd call it an addiction, but I've been watching the anime Cowboy Bebop...

It's kinda cheesy in places. The characters sometimes seem a bit over the top in , quite funny in places.

That's anime of that period for you, though. Stick it out - it is indeed very funny in places (Mushroom Samba always brings a smile to my face) and the show does some really interesting things later on. It has one HELL of an ending, too. Prepare to be made emotional mincemeat out of.

Any Shinichiro Watanabe stuff is usually a good bet if you want some solid to outstanding anime. The guy has a pretty solid grasp of storytelling. Kids on the Slope in particular is outstanding.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Bolt-01

I've begun a re-watch of Westworld. So very, very good.

Theblazeuk

Hawks - Samurai Champloo, or Cowboy Bebop?

I'm torn. (And yet to see Kids on the Slope but its on my list now)