Main Menu

Red Dwarf XI

Started by Goaty, 29 August, 2016, 09:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxlen

Didn't like ep 5 at all...was bored, infact.

CrazyFoxMachine

Catching up with this - episode 5 was alright I thought. Nice low-key Kryten continuity and a bit of utterly ludicrous but daftly sweet universe-chattery. Also after all my talk this one had a functional ending - not perfect but it worked. Underrated bit of RDX and RDXI - the casting of new "in universe" characters is always really good - from Rimmer's brother in the first of X to differKryten here they always fit well.

auxlen

Episode 6 was a belter...IMHO

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Liked episode 6, and loved the female cat, but overall I am a bit disappointed with series XI.

All the episodes were re-hashes of better, earlier stories. I'm hoping XII isn't more of the same more of the same.

Magnetica

Just watched the last 3 episodes and they were pretty good - like Dwarf back in the day.

Overall this was the best series in ages. Officer Rimmer was my favourite and I would definitely like to see more.

One thing it lacked though- where's Holly? I guess there was an incident previously I have forgotten where she went permanently off line. It would be good to bring her ( or him!) back.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Magnetica on 07 November, 2016, 11:11:26 PM
One thing it lacked though- where's Holly? I guess there was an incident previously I have forgotten where she went permanently off line. It would be good to bring her ( or him!) back.

Genuinely even with Red Dwarf's flimsy continuity I don't think there's an in-universe explanation of where Holly went. Norman Lovett was in Bristol doing a pro-Corbyn rally recently and has been tweeting about Dwarf in a positive way so maybe it's an amicable "thanks but no thanks" situation.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 November, 2016, 12:10:15 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 07 November, 2016, 11:11:26 PM

Genuinely even with Red Dwarf's flimsy continuity I don't think there's an in-universe explanation of where Holly went.

It's early in 'Back to Earth' - something about Lister leaving a bath running for nine years and nobody noticing until several tons of water crashed down through the decks and wrecked his/her drives.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Thanks guys - that one definitely passed me by. If they couldn't get
Norman Lovett, then it's a shame they didn't get Hattie Hayridge. I always preferred her version anyway.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 November, 2016, 12:20:08 AM
It's early in 'Back to Earth' - something about Lister leaving a bath running for nine years and nobody noticing until several tons of water crashed down through the decks and wrecked his/her drives.

AH. Of course, Back to Earth doesn't dwell in the mind. Bit jarring that Lister is so broken up about Kochanski when he essentially murdered Holly  :o

Dark Jimbo

Well I missed the first four episodes while in America, but caught the last two. Krysis... did not overly impress. Nothing terrible, just a touch silly for my tastes, and the talk with the 'universe' seemed to trash twenty-something years of carefully constructed alien-free science-grounded space shenanigans. It felt almost a bit fourth-wall-breaking, what with the Morgan Freeman impression an' all. Loved the Butler character though, and generally impressed all round by the 'look' of the new series - it's flippin' gorgeous!

Thankfully I also saw Can of Worms which was just superb on virtually every count. Lovely to have a bona-fide Cat episode. Plenty of nods to past glories but still managing to feel like its own beast, bringing something new to the table. If there was a downside it was that the 'emotionless Lister' sub-plot made zero sense and just wasted time. Really looking forward to picking up the DVD at Crimbo and getting to see the rest!
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

I got the steelbook edition of the Series XI blu-ray today, which has a rather interesting set of misprints on the card holder -  I can only assume the titles of the Series XII episodes have been printed in place of the Series XI ones. So, if you're interested, the next series may feature:

[spoiler]Here No Evil, M-Corp, Siliconia, Time Wave, Mechocracy, Star Knot.[/spoiler]

It's interesting how the episodes of XI fare on a rewatch - Krysis improves (it has the best ending of any episode in the series), and Can of Worms, which was always a bit of a mess, starts to look even more of a wasted opportunity and very Series 6-8-like in its attempts to do too much within the time available. In fact, the more I think about Can of Worms, the more it annoys me - I'd like to finally see another Felis Sapiens for real, like they were going to do in series 7. (I do like the birth scene though.)

Officer Rimmer may just be the best episode of the lot - Rimmer-centric episodes are frequently superior - but I think there's nothing this year to beat 'The Beginning' from Series X.

Dandontdare

So it was only six episodes? The series ended in the same way as most of the episodes - no satisfactory winding up, just stopped suddenly!

Greg M.

Any time the last episode of a Red Dwarf series looks like it's going to have a big impact on the show (2, 6, 8), the resolution is invariably fudged or dispensed with entirely at the start of the next series. Not bothering with climactic conclusions is probably for the best.