Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

The pieces I managed to blag at the 40th.

An unused cover showing an older, wiser, stouter and more follically-challenged (I can relate) Dante.

According to Simon meant as a companion piece to this classic.

And beautiful Purity, pursued by the shadows of Termite and a lovelorn Grobbendonk (which sold it for me)

"Trust we"

Colin YNWA

Well those two are absolute beauties Dunk they really are. The Dante one isn't one I spoted when I was looking through Simon's stuff, maybe ypu'd snapped it up first? Absolutely fantastic. Did Mr Fraser say why it wasn't used?

As for the Purity -WOW. Are the Torq and Terminators in grey water colour?

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 February, 2017, 10:19:53 AM
By the way- Colin, Spikes, Ming, Hippy, can't believe I didn't get a chance to chat with ye on Saturday, we were probably centimeters apart at the bar...

Yes, it would have been grand to meet up with you Rich for a pint and a good old chat about art.
I missed quite a few forumites, and a good few droids in the end. Too much going on, not that I'm complaining. Gonna have to be a 2 day affair, for the 41st anniversary convention.

And this IS exactly what I'm on about, in regards to the art folder that Mr Redondo brought with him. Dunk, and Colin those pieces you have are absolute crackers.  :thumbsup:

Colin YNWA

Last one from me and while this one isn't quite as strong for me in some respects it is the piece I was most astonished and pleased to pick up. See I do make that mistake of assuming just 'cos something is stupidly significent to me doesn't mean it to others. But this page, in terms of impact, ranks up there with Dredd shooting himself in Apocolypse War, or the defeated Dredd at the end of DoC... well to me

Its the page (well kinda I'll come back to that) where Dredd blasts through from his own strip into Simping Detective and the cross over is born (well okay I didn't click until about 2 pages later! But the smart amongst us...). I will always remember the massive impact of this issue and specifically this moment. The awe with which we all watched it. Going to Thought Bubble shortly after and it was the talk of the town. Just brilliant and this is the page (kinda) that brought it all home. So when Simon Coleby said he had (I'd just passed him my copy of 1809 to sign I only have Uncle Pat to go for the full set) it I hurriedly and excitedly skipped through his glorious collection of originals to find it and snapped it up...

... but as you can see ... well if you have Tordelback like memory, its actually 'wrong'. Simon explained that he wasn't happy with the original figure of Dredd kicking the door in. Redrew the top half (tracing the image but completely redoing Dredd) and then cutting the bottom panels out and pasting them up. He sent the corrected version to Tharg, who, for reasons unknown to Simon, went with the original one he wasn't happy with.

Cool story huh.

And cool page. I love the story, love the page and ADORE the fact that I seem to be the only one who is daft enough to think this is one of the most significent pages in Dredd's history. So happy with this one... now if anyone has the proceeding Henry Flint page I'd like to talk to them...

Fungus

Thanks for posting these all. The Purity Brown and Dredd/Simping Detective are just great. Every bit as significant as you say, Colin.

Dunk!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 February, 2017, 05:38:11 PM
Did Mr Fraser say why it wasn't used?
No, just that they went with something else. I kinda like it's unpublished status.
Are the Torq and Terminators in grey water colour?
Yeah, thick watercolour or gouache (corrected from gauche :)
Great art btw Colin.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Spikes

So from the 40th bash;

Hammerstein by Ian Kennedy

A pre-drawn (2011, by the looks of it...) Dredd by Simon Fraser

A few more sketches for my Sketchbook. Amongst them a Rogue Trooper by Mr Gibbons.

And the only interior page bought on Saturday. Been hoping to snag a Simon Coleby piece for literally yonks, and now I have one.

Colin YNWA

Man I wish I'd had the money to snag one of those Ian Kennedy sketches. Not like I did bad but man they are great!

Link Prime

Quote from: Spikes on 16 February, 2017, 09:26:49 PM

And the only interior page bought on Saturday. Been hoping to snag a Simon Coleby piece for literally yonks, and now I have one.

A beautiful Jaegir page- I had my eye on it, but went for a better one!  ;)

seanharry

Lot's of fantastic pages available at bargain prices from the artists last weekend at the 2000AD event.

I picked up one page for myself, Anderson by David Roach.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1374691

Link Prime

Quote from: seanharry on 20 February, 2017, 08:48:51 PM
Lot's of fantastic pages available at bargain prices from the artists last weekend at the 2000AD event.

I picked up one page for myself, Anderson by David Roach.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1374691

Lovely.
Mr. Roach was selling some great artwork at very low prices at the event.
Would have loved to pick up a page from Nemesis Book VIII.

Skullmo

He found some Nemesis pages he had forgotten about - lovely work.
It's a joke. I was joking.

JaHawkDroid

My hunt for some original artwork has somehow ended up in me commissioning an original piece from King Carlos. This has happened completely by accident but I am incredibly excited by the prospect.

Link Prime

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 21 February, 2017, 11:23:58 PM
My hunt for some original artwork has somehow ended up in me commissioning an original piece from King Carlos. This has happened completely by accident but I am incredibly excited by the prospect.

Starting in at the deep end- excellent.

Dunk!

Have to say the biggest revelation from the 40th weekend for me was Jesus Redondo. Seeing a page of his work on Nemesis Book 2 up close at the Cartoon Museum exhibition (Think it belonged to Wake, many fine pieces at that show had his name on them) and the art he had in his folio and his personable attitude even though an interpreter, really made me re-evaluate him.

Now as an O'Neill Nemesis page eludes me (as it does many) I've set my sights willingly on a Redondo page.

Dunk!
"Trust we"