Main Menu

Judge Dredd cover painting, prog 1150

Started by lusignon, 04 January, 2013, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betel_uk

I know nothing about original art but there are some learned people commenting here so I would listen to them...

Having said that, selling can be a lottery and if the right buyer comes along, you might achieve closer to what you hope for. If you really want to sell at or near that price lusignon, I'd continue to list but with the "Or Best Offer" option and see what happens. Worst case scenario: it'll confirm you're way off the current market value, but you'll be able to enter a conversation with interested potential buyers and who knows where that might lead? And you've done all the hard work preparing the listing so what will it cost you to keep relisting? 40p a month or something? If it's not listed that buyer that NEEDS this piece because it was the first time they ever saw Dredd (or whatever) probably won't find it when they look...

Nice piece btw and LOL at Commando Forces!!!  :lol:

hippynumber1

Quote from: Skullmo on 07 January, 2013, 05:28:37 PM
Definitely! Any more wisdom? As a n00b to 'the physical appreciation of comic art' this is all very helpful.

Always ask people who 'know more than you' before buying if you're not sure... The people on here and CAF have guided me well - looking at you Judge Jack, Ming and fatboydale!

ming

All the rubbish below just refers to 2000AD art and not general comic art or 'fine' art collecting; duh.

I'm fairly new to the art game (started early in 2010 and already winding down now I've ticked most of the stuff that's most important to me) but from where I'm sitting, the bottom line has already been stated: art is only really worth what it's worth to you

I suppose that goes for selling as well as buying, although I'd find it easier to draw a line as to a price I was prepared to pay for art compared to selling it.  Watching stuff on eBay over the last few years, there are pieces I've picked up for peanuts (relatively; £50 for a nice Gibson Dredd page, f'rinstance) and occasional instances where I may have paid over the odds to secure something I felt was worth it - to me.  Most of the time (especially these days) I just watch stuff sail by and sell for more than I'm prepared to pay.  All fine be me, to be honest - I've picked up more than my fair share of great art over the last few years.

A few suggestions, though:

Know what you like.
Focus as much as you can and stick to your guns.  Art collecting is a slippery slope and it's all too easy to start off fast and haul in so-so pages just because they're available and cheap-ish.  Then, unless you're made of money, a really nice - and pricier - piece comes along and you can't jump.  If you favour certain characters, or artists, or periods, you'll have an easier time of it when confronted by lots of pages on eBay or elsewhere.  Prioritising helps.

Take your time.
Yes, art is a finite and dwindling resource (especially 'classic' period art), prices are rising and there is a lot of competition from other collectors, BUT you'll probably be better off spending a little time (or a lot) getting to know other collectors, likely prices and how the game is played.  There are various sites online selling art, plus eBay, the artists themselves and dealers, ranging from money-grubbing scalpers to Respectable Gentlemen like Dale and Wake.  Ask around, state your interests and start up some conversation - much of the little I know came from naive question-and-answer sessions with established collectors, none of whom turned out to be complete dicks.

Art's great, but collecting it can be a sickeningly addictive habit you're probably better off not touching with a shitty stick.  And I hate it.  And I love it!

:)

hippynumber1

Quote from: ming on 07 January, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

Focus as much as you can and stick to your guns. 

And that's the hard part!

Skullmo

Because I'm like that (and because I'm stuck in a hotel) I was looking at the classifieds for 10 years ago. 7 page full colour Brett Ewins Dredd strip, £500.

Excuse my while I just go and cry . . .
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Quote from: ming on 07 January, 2013, 07:16:36 PM
All the rubbish below just refers to 2000AD art and not general comic art or 'fine' art collecting; duh.

I'm fairly new to the art game (started early in 2010 and already winding down now I've ticked most of the stuff that's most important to me) but from where I'm sitting, the bottom line has already been stated: art is only really worth what it's worth to you

I suppose that goes for selling as well as buying, although I'd find it easier to draw a line as to a price I was prepared to pay for art compared to selling it.  Watching stuff on eBay over the last few years, there are pieces I've picked up for peanuts (relatively; £50 for a nice Gibson Dredd page, f'rinstance) and occasional instances where I may have paid over the odds to secure something I felt was worth it - to me.  Most of the time (especially these days) I just watch stuff sail by and sell for more than I'm prepared to pay.  All fine be me, to be honest - I've picked up more than my fair share of great art over the last few years.

A few suggestions, though:

Know what you like.
Focus as much as you can and stick to your guns.  Art collecting is a slippery slope and it's all too easy to start off fast and haul in so-so pages just because they're available and cheap-ish.  Then, unless you're made of money, a really nice - and pricier - piece comes along and you can't jump.  If you favour certain characters, or artists, or periods, you'll have an easier time of it when confronted by lots of pages on eBay or elsewhere.  Prioritising helps.

Take your time.
Yes, art is a finite and dwindling resource (especially 'classic' period art), prices are rising and there is a lot of competition from other collectors, BUT you'll probably be better off spending a little time (or a lot) getting to know other collectors, likely prices and how the game is played.  There are various sites online selling art, plus eBay, the artists themselves and dealers, ranging from money-grubbing scalpers to Respectable Gentlemen like Dale and Wake.  Ask around, state your interests and start up some conversation - much of the little I know came from naive question-and-answer sessions with established collectors, none of whom turned out to be complete dicks.

Art's great, but collecting it can be a sickeningly addictive habit you're probably better off not touching with a shitty stick.  And I hate it.  And I love it!

:)

Thank you for this - it was very interesting and captures a lot of my thoughts on it. Like when I saw the Rogue Trooper prelims, they were good and if I had bid I'm sure i could have got them at a low price, but they were not 'my thing' and I'm sure you like them a lot more than I ever would have :-)
It's a joke. I was joking.

opaque

I bought some prelims as I didn't think I would ever have the chance to get his 'proper' artwork. Still maybe never do.