Main Menu

travel advice?

Started by mimikeke, 15 December, 2016, 02:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimikeke

Thanks guys for the advice!

I guess by castles/nature I meant we were more interested in seeing countryside/ruins/hiking/old villagey type stuff rather than shopping/city tourist trap type stuff. Mostly b/c it'll be very different from what we have here in the US! Even if some of it is countryside tourist trap :D (I really wanted to go to Ireland a few years back for that reason but it fell through.)

However, I'm to believe that it'll be hard to reach a lot of it/everything will be closed anyways during Feb?? I'm a bit torn as to make a day reservation for a car since that particular day could be complete crap weather, and I only know how to drive automatic (I know, I'm terrible)...so might be difficult to obtain one day of.

I will def be checking out the British museum or something similar.

Any Indian/local food or pub recs in London? We have pretty good access to intl food here in San Francisco esp sushi but I've yet to find a really good Indian place. We are pretty big beer drinkers too.

This trip will also overlap Valentine's Day if anyone has some ideas for a vaguely romantic noncrowded(probably impossible) thing to do/place to go during my stay in London. Doesn't need to be a $500 steak dinner, maybe somewhere with a fireplace or view?

@grugz: heh, I didn't do my nails myself so they'd probably get something really poor from me! :D I also can't believe a french fry sandwich exists but it sounds delicious.

Grugz

oh,it is, non of those skinny ones,mind, thick cut double,if not triple fried to get that perfect soft on the inside crisp on the outside, loads of butter on the bread tomato ketchup optional.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2016, 09:14:19 AM
Possible day trip, depending on travel arrangements/possibilities: Stonehenge and then Salisbury (beautiful place, and a copy of the Magna Carta in the cathedral). I see a few places do day trips that encompass Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor, which if you've the money and inclination would be good as well.

If you're doing Stonehenge and Salisbury then you have to also go to Avebury, and have your lunch in a pub in the middle of a village which is itself in the middle of a stone circle!

sheridan

Quote from: mimikeke on 15 December, 2016, 05:51:56 PM
Thanks guys for the advice!

I guess by castles/nature I meant we were more interested in seeing countryside/ruins/hiking/old villagey type stuff rather than shopping/city tourist trap type stuff. Mostly b/c it'll be very different from what we have here in the US! Even if some of it is countryside tourist trap :D (I really wanted to go to Ireland a few years back for that reason but it fell through.)

However, I'm to believe that it'll be hard to reach a lot of it/everything will be closed anyways during Feb?? I'm a bit torn as to make a day reservation for a car since that particular day could be complete crap weather, and I only know how to drive automatic (I know, I'm terrible)...so might be difficult to obtain one day of.
I was going to suggest Richmond Park - watch the deer!

I will def be checking out the British museum or something similar.

Any Indian/local food or pub recs in London? We have pretty good access to intl food here in San Francisco esp sushi but I've yet to find a really good Indian place. We are pretty big beer drinkers too.

Brick Lane is famous for curry, but I'd also recommend Drummond Street, between Euston Station and Regents Park (sort of).

This trip will also overlap Valentine's Day if anyone has some ideas for a vaguely romantic noncrowded(probably impossible) thing to do/place to go during my stay in London. Doesn't need to be a $500 steak dinner, maybe somewhere with a fireplace or view?

Me and my girl are doing something romantic for V-day - taking a trip to a certain event in Hammersmith :)

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 15 December, 2016, 11:17:58 AM
London Museums - Natural History (The Cathedral of Science!), Science Museum (Babbage's brain in a jar!), V&A are all very close. You can do them in a day, although if it's school holidays the NH will be packed (esp. the Dinosaurs) - I suggest going in at around 4-4.30, as most families will have gone home by now.

The British Museum (Rosetta stone, Mummies!) is also worth a visit

You can't do all three museums in a day, unless you run around them without looking at anything :P

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 15 December, 2016, 07:08:57 PMIf you're doing Stonehenge and Salisbury then you have to also go to Avebury, and have your lunch in a pub in the middle of a village which is itself in the middle of a stone circle!

This, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_White_Horse

Although last time I was there, you got to it by walking through a field of angry sheep who'd shat everywhere.

Quote from: sheridan on 15 December, 2016, 07:15:32 PMYou can't do all three museums in a day, unless you run around them without looking at anything :P
Last time my wife and I went to the NHM, we did the dinosaurs (obviously) and a couple of very specific areas. British Museum: after several half-day visits, we've barely scratched the surface. The Science Museum is, I find, something you can get round in much less time, but even so you'd need a day to properly see everything.

Best bet: go armed with a set of things you definitely want to check out, ensure you catch those, and then randomly amble about looking at some other stuff. (Another possible: the new Tate's Turbine Hall.)

blixab

Quote from: sheridan on 15 December, 2016, 07:08:57 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2016, 09:14:19 AM
Possible day trip, depending on travel arrangements/possibilities: Stonehenge and then Salisbury (beautiful place, and a copy of the Magna Carta in the cathedral). I see a few places do day trips that encompass Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor, which if you've the money and inclination would be good as well.

If you're doing Stonehenge and Salisbury then you have to also go to Avebury, and have your lunch in a pub in the middle of a village which is itself in the middle of a stone circle!

Yes, the wonderful "Red Lion" in Avebury - had many a drink there.

mimikeke

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll!

A lovely lady on Twitter suggested to me that I take a train up to Peak District area, then do a little tour of that area via car (Ilkley Moor/Bolton Abbey) to York. 

It turns out my husband can only take off before the event so I'll be there mostly the week before (happens to be my bday!). Perhaps I'll be celebrating the last hours of my 20's on a plane to London x.x I'll be old and wise by the time you see me at the 2000AD event  :lol: :lol:

Dandontdare

If you want historical ruins set in lovely countryside, Bolton Abbey is a good choice. Take care booking trains though as it is NOT in Bolton!

COMMANDO FORCES

And Leeds Castle is not in Leeds, it's near me on the outskirts of Maidstone. It's a beautiful castle by the way!

Goaty

Heh I can understand people confused of Leeds Castle.

Dunk!

If you're staying in London then my home county of Kent is on your doorstep.

Leeds Castle is glorious as mentioned.
Hever Castle childhood home of Anne Boleyn.
There's Rochester and Chatham for all your Dickensian needs.
and just an hour & a bit on the train plops you in my home stomping ground of Canterbury with ruins galore and a ruddy great Cathedral dominating the city - the place bleeds history.
Plus if you drive, just outside C'bury is the village of Chartham which is basically the most picturesque Kent village going - as seen in various episodes of Poirot, Miss Marple, Lovejoy and the Powell Pressburger classic A Canterbury Tale.

Dunk! - not from the Kent tourist board.
"Trust we"

Theblazeuk

Go to Drummond Street over Brick Lane, get a Thali (like a kind of Indian mezze/tapas) - lovely stuff.

As for 'Valentine's Day' in London, near to HAmmersmith is this little tea room http://www.bettyblythe.co.uk/ . Basically it's all 1920s themed, my wife loved it and it has that 'afternoon tea' bit of Britishness tat. Cosy basement room and I guess you'll be somewhere around there.

(I'd offer you a tour of the BBC but it's actually real real boring now they closed the classic building)

sheridan

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2016, 12:57:23 PM
Go to Drummond Street over Brick Lane, get a Thali (like a kind of Indian mezze/tapas) - lovely stuff.

As for 'Valentine's Day' in London, near to HAmmersmith is this little tea room http://www.bettyblythe.co.uk/ . Basically it's all 1920s themed, my wife loved it and it has that 'afternoon tea' bit of Britishness tat. Cosy basement room and I guess you'll be somewhere around there.

(I'd offer you a tour of the BBC but it's actually real real boring now they closed the classic building)
We'll have to check out the Hammersmith tea room (I wonder what it is about tea rooms that they have to be called "Betty's"?)

Which BBC are you in?  I've only ever been in the radio centre - which had a dalek and the TARDIS last time I visited.

sheridan

Quote from: mimikeke on 15 December, 2016, 08:38:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ya'll!

A lovely lady on Twitter suggested to me that I take a train up to Peak District area, then do a little tour of that area via car (Ilkley Moor/Bolton Abbey) to York. 

It turns out my husband can only take off before the event so I'll be there mostly the week before (happens to be my bday!). Perhaps I'll be celebrating the last hours of my 20's on a plane to London x.x I'll be old and wise by the time you see me at the 2000AD event  :lol: :lol:

Happy birthday (for February)!  As there are two Yorkshire lasses in the flat I live in, I have to to advise you to take a hat if you go to Ilkley Moor :)