2000 AD Southern Contingent Summer Gathering - 16th July - 2016

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 26 June, 2016, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

ZenArcade

Pity you couldn't get both the McBride Judges to attend as well. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Another great showing, and with welcome interlopers from the Northern Contingent and the Dredd Screening Drinking Club!

p.s. 167 cards down, 133 to go - thanks CF (though I am waiting for that delivery I told you about)!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just arrived back home from a superb gathering. Will post pictures up later but gotta get some sleep, as I'm taking Caz out today, as it's our anniversary :D

COMMANDO FORCES

Pete Wells

It was a disgusting affair. It was a good job that someone civilised showed up to add some class to the whole sordid gathering.

COMMANDO FORCES

The queue outside GOSH was about 20 long when I turned up at 11:30, with the signing starting at 13:00 :lol: I managed to grab two books and one print. The extra book and the print for a fellow forumite. As I waited I saw numerous other members of the contingent add themselves to the growing queue and at 12:45 they started early but it took ages to get moving. Max of 3 items signed went straight out the window.
I also met the delightful Steven Austin, Art Droid extraordinaire and had a wee chat before I moved inside to get my stuff signed.

COMMANDO FORCES

Once inside Mick asked if I had brought loads of models for him to sign and I reassured him that I hadn't but I warned Brian that I will have some stuff for him next year at LSCC. I had my items signed and then handed over the Green Giant for Brian to sign and it was a first for him and awkward to sign. After which I had to get a picture with them both.

I then moved out of the way and took a few pictures of them at work entertaining the fans.

COMMANDO FORCES

It was then off to the pub for a great laugh followed by an Indian (am I allowed to say that). Whilst in the pub two members of the DSDC lot came along from the Star Wars event (Dredd Screening Drinking Club), some lunatic from the North East and Deborah popped in, as she was having a day out in London with the children and she decided to surprise us all and it all made for an absolutely lovely afternoon.

And Pete became a member of the 2000 AD Southern Contingent and he was so happy :D

COMMANDO FORCES

Many pints were drunk, many stories were told and a great laugh was had. The weather was extremely sunny and that made for a perfect drinking climate.

We were all upstairs in the pub, just in case you don't recognise it and it was a wee bit cooler up there.

Must add that the signing was extremely enjoyable and it must've went on till way gone 15:00 as they had to stop the queue at one stage. So well done to GOSH and especially Mick and Brian for being so bloody gracious with their time. Now rumour has it that Molch-R was there as others saw him but I think he was in hiding when I came through the door. I did notice a weird looking tall lamp which might've been him in disguise!

I'll end on a BIG thank you for all the contingent who were there, old and new. Sorry for the members who couldn't make it, till the next time!

Don't forget folks, these are fun events, so make sure you try to get to your own one, or organise one around such an event. It's great to put faces to names that you chat to on the web and have a great day out, just relaxing :D

SuperSurfer

Annoyed I missed the signing and gathering. I finished work and was toying with the idea of catching up with folks as I figured some of you would go for a meal. Then I fell asleep and woke up 23:45.

Might head into town and buy the Cursed Earth later today.

sheridan

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 July, 2016, 10:45:42 AM
It was a disgusting affair. It was a good job that someone civilised showed up to add some class to the whole sordid gathering.
Was that before or after the bar manager / possible other punter told you us to put our shirts on (even though only one person didn't have a shirt on, and while you were putting a shirt on)?

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 July, 2016, 01:30:44 PM
Annoyed I missed the signing and gathering. I finished work and was toying with the idea of catching up with folks as I figured some of you would go for a meal. Then I fell asleep and woke up 23:45.

Might head into town and buy the Cursed Earth later today.
Good luck finding it anywhere - sold out appears to mean sold out (though do tell the board if you find any in Forbidden Planet or Orbital).

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sheridan on 17 July, 2016, 02:08:59 PM
Good luck finding it anywhere - sold out appears to mean sold out (though do tell the board if you find any in Forbidden Planet or Orbital).
Blimey. Sold out means sold out in comic shops. I didn't ask at Orbital as I thought I was bound to find it in other comic shops. FP say they had only 9 copies! Gosh had 200.

But it's not only comic shops that sell GNs. None in Foyles though I didn't ask. Tried Waterstones on Piccadilly. They didn't have it but helpful staff member said there are a few copies about in Covent Garden and Trafalgar Sq branches. I reckon I nabbed last one in Covent Garden branch!

Sorry if I'm busting this page with massive image but doing this on phone.

Spikes

An absolutely cracking day, was the signing.
Got to Gosh at around 11:45, and already the queue was considerable. Asked if this is where the queue ends, only to then be told it carries on across the street....!

Brian and Mick are 100% 2000ad royalty, and so was brilliant to get stuff signed, and also to have a wee chat, with them both.
Great to meet up again with the forumites in attendance, and also to meet up with newer faces (Hi, Geoff!).

Got to see some jaw-dropping original art in a nearby pub... (Bolland Eagle covers.... McMahon Prog cover.... oh my....)

Had chance to listen in on the recording of the new Mega City book club podcast (Eammon, and Julius)

Super red hot day, so much refreshments was needed. And a cracking curry to round it all off.

This...

Followed by shed loads of this...

Perfect day.