Main Menu

Anyone know how to charge for hand-painted lettering?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 July, 2016, 04:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the 'Help' thread; but I reckoned there'd be more people in the know frequenting this thread.
Anyway one of the services my business offers is signpainting - usually chalkboard menus.  The thing is I have no idea how much to charge or how to charge - though I use printed templates, it's difficult and painstaking work and I try to outsource it whenever possible.
Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Buttonman

Suppose it comes down to how long it takes and charge a rate commensurate with the skill involved. If a tradesman can get £40 an hour I use that as a starting point.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks Buttonman; will definitely use that as my starting point - also makes me realise I've been seriously undercharging until now!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

$ ain't a bad idea right now. Grab those greenbacks Jaysus. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

Old Tankie

My rate would depend on how much I wanted the job.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Old Tankie on 11 July, 2016, 09:14:17 AM
My rate would depend on how much I wanted the job.

Yep, these days I am more than happy to outprice a potential client - the ones who want a good job done on the cheap are not good for business anyway.  It still makes me angry when I think of how certain clients exploited my naivete when I was starting off; but you live and learn.

TordelBack

Hmmm, I know x2.5 is a well-tested rule of thumb for professions, but you'd be lucky to get it in most trades, including I imagine sign painting. On the flipside, you'd be lucky to get an average 40 chargeable hours, so you definitely need to factor farting around getting clients and suppliets as part of your OH.

james newell

HAND-PAINTED LETTERING is more of a specialty these days, most sign writers in the business in my area use vinyl cut letters by machine, because it is faster in the long run after forking out for the vinyl cutter, if you are hand painting letters and you are good, that is a craft that not every one can do these days, so I would suggest to start at £40 an hour as button man suggests, but really sell the fact this is traditional hand lettering. 

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks a million, guys - I've given them a price based on your advice.  It's not quite 40 an hour but it's much more than I used to charge.  It's some painted chalkboards - I'm no expert to be honest but I use printed templates to stencil it down so it looks pretty professional. Still waiting for a response from the client.