Main Menu

They did WHAT to your Prog???

Started by Bat King, 14 June, 2016, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 June, 2016, 03:06:04 PM
I have no one but myself to blame for early prog abuse: Not only did I cut out all the games and standees and put all the star scans on my wall, I mutilated the stories themselves to make scrapbooks or stick pictures on my school folders. Very few of my pre-250 progs are complete

I made the Trucker Dictionary from Ace Trucking and cut it so many times trying to get it neat that I ended up shaving into the words. Still got those progs, minus the back cover, plus replacements
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

I have no one but myself to blame for early prog abuse: Not only did I cut out all the games and standees and put all the star scans on my wall, I mutilated the stories themselves to make scrapbooks or stick pictures on my school folders. Very few of my pre-250 progs are complete
Very much this. Except it's well into the 400s before you'll find a complete Prog with its front cover still attached in my collection. Even then, the Tomb Of Terror scorecard is probably filled in.
We never really die.

TordelBack

I have no one but myself to blame for early prog abuse:

That's not abuse, that's use.  Nature abhors an undisplayed poster. 

Colin YNWA

Yeah I have history of past Prog abuse. And my brother, Cursed Earth games played, Flesh card top trumps (whatever it was). Later the aforementioned Ace Trucking Dictionary taped up. Star Scans aplenty on bedroom walls.

None of which would matter as every few years the Mum Monster would swoop and and demand to know which of these old comics needed to go. Alas often great chunk of 2000ad would fall victim in my brothers seeming will to scarifice everything to keep his Doctor Who weekly and monthlys. So I would go along with it. I would be party to these crimes. But I was only following orders. Only following orders...

Magnetica

I used to regular put the posters up on my bedroom wall. I especially remember one of Johnny Alpha with a massive Westinghouse blaster giving it the full number 4 cartridge treatment (not sure what Prog that was from, could even have been Starlord) and the magnificent Bolland wrap around cover from Prog 236.

I also remember making the Justice 1 mobile from Progs 178 and 179, and cutting out Starlord's Guide to the Galaxy and the Truckers' Dictionary

I also cut out the coupon for a free packet of Griddles from Prog 233 which ruined the last panel of Robo-Hunter on the preceding page. That is the sort of thing I just wouldn't do these days.

A quick flick through Barney was informative- the Future World's poster from Progs 200 to 205 - I definitely cut that out and possibly even stuck it on to some card, but hadn't given it any thought in decades. But the Galactic Olympics micro-guide from Progs 174 to 177 - I have no memory of that one.

Fungus

I guess some of the earliest prog covers and posters made it onto walls as they're definitely missing... but it's hard to see this as anything other than healthy  prog love. What the wear and tear did was lead to the double prog buying that continued till the trial separation that occurred in '95. Working it out, the 'doubles' started about 9 months after discovering the prog. Dunno how odd the newsagents felt about that  :|

That Judge Dredd board game has got to be in near mint condition though. Who plays board games ?!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 June, 2016, 10:54:10 PM
I used to regular put the posters up on my bedroom wall. I especially remember one of Johnny Alpha with a massive Westinghouse blaster giving it the full number 4 cartridge treatment (not sure what Prog that was from, could even have been Starlord) and the magnificent Bolland wrap around cover from Prog 236.

My favourite was Artie Gruber bursting out of his grave

Steve Green

Hmm, wondering if there's scope for a book or folio of classic posters...

shaolin_monkey

Every time I moved house I mistakenly left progs behind, in boxes, under beds, in the attic etc etc.

Not prog abuse, but letter page prize abuse - I once had a letter printed under the pseudonym 'Basil' (the name of my pet rat) while I was away for a few months in Romania.  When I got back I found my prize 2000AD baseball cap in Basil's cage, gnawed and covered in rat wee and droppings.

I asked my flat mate why this was, and he answered simply 'The parcel was addressed to Basil, so I gave it to him.'

D'oh!

Bat King

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 June, 2016, 09:48:38 AM
Hmm, wondering if there's scope for a book or folio of classic posters...

I think there muddy be a market for one
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 June, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
Every time I moved house I mistakenly left progs behind, in boxes, under beds, in the attic etc etc.

Not prog abuse...

The Basil the rat story while hilarious is indeed not abuse - however this clear neglect is just a variable of abuse and so you are as damned as the rest of us.

DAMNED I TELL YOU! DAMNED!!!!!!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Not prog abuse, but letter page prize abuse - I once had a letter printed under the pseudonym 'Basil' (the name of my pet rat) while I was away for a few months in Romania.  When I got back I found my prize 2000AD baseball cap in Basil's cage, gnawed and covered in rat wee and droppings.

I asked my flat mate why this was, and he answered simply 'The parcel was addressed to Basil, so I gave it to him.'

D'oh!

How did you react?

Did you put Basil in the ratatouille?
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

D'oh!
BASIL!

Leigh S

So am I the only one who used to colour them in with Caran D'ache coloured pencils?

Echidna

When a friend of mine left home his dad threw all his progs out. It did indirectly lead to me becoming a reader, though, so every cloud...

Quote from: My first post on 30 October, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
A friend of mine is a former 2000 AD reader with particularly fond memories of ABC Warriors and for his birthday last year I decided to get him some old progs to replace the collection his dad threw out when he left home (Judas!). Figuring out which issues to buy him involved subtle questioning and extensive internet research. While scouring Barney, Dredd Reckoning and Paul Rainey's Prog Slog, I caught the bug - there's something very compelling about 37 years of continuity to immerse yourself in - and found myself buying not only progs 750-759 and 780-791 (Khronicles of Khaos, Button Man) for my pal but progs 650-700 (The Horned God II, Song of the Surfer, The Dead Man, Necropolis) for myself.