Main Menu

1985 covers

Started by jannerboyuk, 15 June, 2016, 09:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Another lovely year as detailed in the latest 2000ad thrill mail.

Better than even 1981 for me, possibly because I was 14 at the time and properly into 2000ad. Lots of lovely cliff Robinson and Glenn Fabry covers but my favourite is 440. A great Cam Kennedy cover with two tonne tony! Sums up the humour and pathos of 2000ad and just sticks with you. Fat chance!

pauljholden

I think this was the year I dropped 2000ad aged 14 because I felt like I couldn't read it any more (Peer pressure made me feel like I was too old for comics, but I longed for those issues). So this was bitter sweet.

-pj

Colin YNWA

Weird one for me but one that goes to show how personal these things are. Its Prog 431. Not cos it the best cover techincally, or the most dramatic or 'owt but cos it was the cover that get me to pick the Prog off the shelf just before going on holiday that year and a great love was rekindled. Always will love that cover.

In fact a got the afore wittering Mr Holden to have Tharg holding it in a picture he once drew for me and he kindly added a scan of it to the image. (a picture that still stand watch over my Progs to this day).

colindean

The cover for prog 440 is a definite favourite of mine ... though it reminds me that my copy has a rip in it.  :'(

ming

Here (hopefully) is a link to the 1985 Prog covers...

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=covers&page=progs&FirstProg=399&LastProg=450&MaxProg=1913

Another amazing year cover-wise and we're very much spoiled for choice.  For me, Cam's beautiful Supersurf 7 cover for Prog 428 is just pipped at the post by Ian Kennedy's legendary wraparound to Prog 446.  Himmel, etc.

Fungus

Hm, Cam turned in a few great covers but my favourite three (all 'fun' ones, it turns out) are:

430 (Ace Trucking, Belardinelli)
407 (Ewins, Dredd)
433 (Ron Smith, Dredd)

433 pips it, Ron Smith's colourful covers are just perfect Mega-City One.

credo

This is just before I started reading/collecting, but holds so many memories due to the Quality Comics reprints and Best Of collections from just after this time.  For that reason, my nostalgia covers are 410 (Rogue); 411, 420, 448 449 (Slaine); 413 (Halo Jones) and 403, 414 and 443 (Dredd).

Some iconic Dreads from Bolland, Robin Smith and Cliff Robinson, and just some stupendous stuff from Fabry.

'86 and '87 are going to hold such memories for me (Bisley, Yowell and Hinklinton wonders, yes).

Edit: I'm skipping a year there - Bisley isn't until '88. Also forgetting the coming wonders of Brett Ewins Bad Company covers, and that Yowell didn't do most of the Zenith covers!

auxlen

Prog 401 i traced it so often with Grease proof paper i could eventually draw it from muscle memory.