Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 May, 2016, 10:31:32 PM
Any potential cheese issues aside it still functions as a classic Gilliam piece, brimming as it does with humanity and imagination.

I love TFK, not least for "Free the little guy!" a phrase my family have learned to dread.

Fungus

The Jungle Book, in a 95% empty cinema.
Went with reservations (Her Indoors choice, not mine...) and adored this film. From early on the CGI makes it plausible, not remotely showy or distracting. It's captivating.

Only comments I'd encountered were damning (I'd also have questioned a remake), including ridiculing of Christopher Walken's anti-singing. More reluctant than ever to listen to opinions...  :os

With this and The Force Awakens recently (another people are fond of slating) I may be developing a cinema habit. Who'da thunk it.
Recommended.

I, Cosh

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 May, 2016, 10:31:32 PM
The Fisher King...Any potential cheese issues aside it still functions as a classic Gilliam piece, brimming as it does with humanity and imagination.
I confess it may be ten years or more since I last watched it but it was certainly my favourite of his films that I've seen. Not least for managing to walk the schmaltz tightrope so well.
We never really die.

Michael Knight

i really enjoyed Bullet to the head! Thought it one of stallones best in years. The expendables trilogy were a bit of a disappointment for me. Enjoyed them but pretty forgettable. 

Dandontdare

Bit of a Jennifer Lawrence fest this weekend with the fisrt two Hunger Games films on telly and X-men:Apocalypse - she was very good in all of them.

I'd always ignored the Hunger Games as being teen-girl fare, but the films were pretty good, as long as you don't think too deeply about the plot and politics of that world. Excellent performances from everyone concerned, and entertaining action and effects.

X-men: Apocalypse was a lot better than I feared - not as good as first class, but much better than X3. The strength of these movies has never been the plot but the casting - Macavoy and Fassbender are great and the young versions of Storm, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Jean etc were all well judged. Not sure about remaking Angel as a drunken German thug rather than a millionaire playboy, and Psylocke was something of a blank slate, but I did like Caliban a lot. Lots of good moments - the Quicksilver super-speed sequence was done in the last movie, but it's always a lot of fun, and we get to find out [spoiler]How Charles lost his hair[/spoiler].

As is often the case, the villains plot didn't make a whole lot of sense ([spoiler]Just what was Magneto supposed to be doing towards the end? - "Okay - Angel, Storm and Psylocke, guard me while the the transference takes place, Magneto, I want you to float about creating a spectacular but pointless metal-storm"[/spoiler])

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Tordelback on 22 May, 2016, 11:32:42 PMI love TFK, not least for "Free the little guy!" a phrase my family have learned to dread.

Robin's half-arsed attempts (literally!) at angling his thigh so as not to expose himself to camera just add to the fun once he's in full Williams swing.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Satanist

Sabotage with Arnie - Pure pish  :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Satanist

oh and also watched Superman vs Batman and it wasnt as bad as I feared but wasnt as good as it should be.

Though Batmans thoughts about supes do seem more suited to Luthor and the actual Luthor just acts like a tit throughout.

I did laugh that every time theres a big fight someone always states that "everyone went home for the day/the buildings abandoned/its a bank holiday" just so that you know the heroes arent killing hundreds of people. again.

and then they fight a cartoon.

Its no Civil War thats for sure.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 May, 2016, 09:19:38 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 12 May, 2016, 08:44:45 AM
As for the Hulk films,.I found the Ang Lee Hulk film rather pretentious. I liked the portrayal of the Hulk himself though. The way he moves is probably the closest to the comics we've ever had.
Yeah, the Hulk himself is a fantastic creation - his leaping about in the desert is hypnotic, great stuff.  As for the rest, pretentious twaddle covers it. Like most of Ang Lee's work, IMHO.
I knew I remembered someone talking about Hulk recently. I've no particular interest in the character and I'm not keen on the director either but caught this on tv last night and ... really liked it. Liked the slow start establishing the characters; loved the use of inserts and split screen to visually mimic a comic page while handling things like reverse shots; liked the bouncy Hulk; liked the couple of references to the old series; really liked the weird inversion of the typical superhero father-son dynamic; laughed like a drain at the bit where he punches the Hulked-up bulldog's teeth clean through the back of its head; wasn't really paying attention for most of the running time.

Colin Farrell provides a solidly blank, straight-man performance at the heart of The Lobster. I admire them taking a completely serious approach to an absurd topic again (here, single people are given a few weeks to form a couple before being turned into an animal) but this is nowhere near as good as Dogtooth and runs out of steam half way through.
We never really die.

NapalmKev

Grimsby - full of plotholes and not exactly Highbrow art but it is astoundingly funny!

Definitely worth a watch!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spikes

Yes, I enjoyed Grimsby for what it is, as well.
Not the biggest SBC fan, but did make the effort for this as I'm a Grimsby lad.

He can't do the accent, though.

Mardroid

Guardians of the Galaxy

Great sci-fi movie . A lot of fun. It might be my new favourite Marvel film. And so soon after seeing Civil War too. (Yes, I got to this really late.)

Also watched X-Men: Apocalypse a couple of days ago too. While not great, I rather enjoyed it. 

Hawkmumbler

Thanks to Arrow Video and 88Films recent slew in Giallo out put, i've watched quite a bjt of Itallian murder mystery recently. Starting off with Spasmo, a more psychadelic and quite tame instalment in the pantheon of gialli, it none the less oozes style and charm. Probably one of Umberto Lenzi's best films. Following on from that was The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave. This was an odd one, as it bordered more on western slasher material than a "whodunit" seeing as the movie is told from Evelyn's perspective as she enacts revenge on her would be killers. Rather boldly shot as well, but a poorer movie than it's sister production The Red Queen Kills Seven Times. Probably one of the best instalments of the genre i've seen thus far, it's all a bit ridiculous in the best wya possible but lavishly shot and smartly written. Cracking stuff! Finally was Milano Caliber 9, a cult hit if ever their was one. I highly recomend this to anyone who enjoys a crime thriller, Fernando Di Leo hits all the right notes and has formed an italian gangster story to rival many of the more highly regarded american attempts at the genre.

Steve Green

Warcraft - out of curiosity really.

It's not as bad as the reviews have made out, but I can't see much in the way of crossover appeal.

I just found it a bit odd, and surprisingly po-faced for something based on a game. The orcs were more interesting than a good portion of the human characters.

I've never played Warcraft, and only have passing knowledge because of my background in 3D so I'm sure some of it went over my head.

I just find the concept of game > movie translations a bit weird in general.

Hawkmumbler

Following swiftly on from last weeks Brit Crime marathon me, Dan and Emily sat down to watch three superhero movies...

Batman (1966, dir. Leslie Martinson) is the camp movie to go with the camp TV show. But it's oh so charming and fun any short comings can asily be forgiven.

Mystery Men (1999, dir. Kinka Usha) was brought up some time back on thesehere boards but i've never actually seen it. Based on The Flamming Carrot however so I have an inkling what i'm getting us into...

Kick-Ass (2010, dir. Mathew Vaughn) is juvenile twaddle from what I remember but Dan and Em stand by it insisting it's better than I think...my memory say's otherwise!