Main Menu

John Smith's Vampirella????

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 July, 2010, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well when meadering through the world of the internet I stumbled across the fact that that John Smith wrote a little run of Harris' Vampirella comic in the early 2000s? Now Vampirella is a character I know nowt about aside the two obvious points but I love me some John Smith. So the question is has anybody read these and are they worth tracking down?

Any info gratefuly recieved.

Emperor

There are also Millar and Morrison's Vampirella stories that I haven't read but have been collected a number of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Morrison_bibliography#Other_US_publishers
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JAMESCOR

From what I recall the Morrison/Millar ones were rather fun with nice art don't think I ever saw the Smith ones I did however pick up two Devlin trades today in a £2 bargain book shop in the Euston rd today total bargain as much as I love Smith I had stopped reading the Prog and Meg while most of them were running and ace Yeowell art on some of it too!

HOO-HAA

The early Vampirella stories make for really good, old-school horror fun. I've found more recent output (although I can't be sure of the writers involved) to be less impressive.

john_s

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 July, 2010, 06:04:31 PM
Well when meadering through the world of the internet I stumbled across the fact that that John Smith wrote a little run of Harris' Vampirella comic in the early 2000s? Now Vampirella is a character I know nowt about aside the two obvious points but I love me some John Smith. So the question is has anybody read these and are they worth tracking down?

They're fucking shite.  Don't bother.

Emperor

Quote from: john_s on 03 July, 2010, 11:04:45 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 July, 2010, 06:04:31 PM

They're fucking shite.  Don't bother.

Well there is your answer Colin. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Colin YNWA

Arh now you see that could but just modesty? Couldn't it...!

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 July, 2010, 08:41:26 AM
Arh now you see that could but just modesty? Couldn't it...!

Or he is trying to buy up all the issues on eBay so he can sell them on at great profit later ;)

Trout

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Console yourself, John, that you wrote one of the bext issues of Hellblazer there has ever been. The one in the laundrette.

Brrr...

- Trout

john_s

I've got loads of copies.  You can have some, if you want.  The artwork is... well, quite pretty in a photorealistic way.  The story's a dog's dinner.  Worst experience I've ever had on a comic (except maybe for "Scarab").  Apart from the fact that Vampirella is an inherently stupid and one-dimensional character, it was written before/immediately after 9/11 for a mediocre craven New York-based company that forced me to pull all its teeth out.  My pitch was: Vampirella as Andrea Dworkin/Valerie Solanis/S.C.U.M. manifesto (Society for Cutting Up Men).  Make her every heterosexual males' worst fucking nightmare.  (Have you *seen* the readership of that comic?  It's 100% the dirty mac brigade.)  Vagina dentata in high heels.  Etc.  Instead, I was forced to write a toothless parody that sucked big time - pun intended.

One example: I had a supporting character called Harry Krishna who wore a turban.  My editor:  "God, no!  We can't do that!  Those filthy murderous Arabs wear turbans!"

And believe me, that's a relatively MINOR example of the sort of censorious bullshit and constant rewriting I had to put up with every day.  The pay was good but it really wasn't worth the hassle.  It was soul-destroying hackwork and I feel embarrassed to ever have been associated with it...

Does that make it any clearer?

Trout

john_s

Quote from: King Trout on 04 July, 2010, 05:12:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Console yourself, John, that you wrote one of the bext issues of Hellblazer there has ever been. The one in the laundrette.

Brrr...

- Trout

Thanks!  You're not the only one, apparently:

http://mindlessones.com/2008/04/06/dee-do-dough-don%E2%80%99t-dee-dough-or-why-hellblazer-51-is-the-title%E2%80%99s-best-issue/

I really should have a shot at that comic again.  I've got some great ideas for it!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: john_s on 04 July, 2010, 06:36:35 PM
I really should have a shot at that comic again.  I've got some great ideas for it!

Some of have been saying this for quite some time. See if you can rescue Sean Phillips from the desk he's chained to in Ed Brubaker's cellar while you're at it. :-)

Failing that, how about a bit of Peter Doherty?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

john_s

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 July, 2010, 07:11:22 PM
Quote from: john_s on 04 July, 2010, 06:36:35 PM

Some of have been saying this for quite some time. See if you can rescue Sean Phillips from the desk he's chained to in Ed Brubaker's cellar while you're at it. :-)

Failing that, how about a bit of Peter Doherty?

Cheers!

Jim

Yeah - Pete would be ace on "Hellblazer"!  He can draw brilliant monsters and he does scruffy and squalid really well!  ;-)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: john_s on 04 July, 2010, 05:20:02 PM
Does that make it any clearer?

Yep!

Well its certainly good to get it from the horses mouth before I spent a load of time trying to track them down. Thanks for the (brutal) honesty.

I'll just echo what others have said, and indeed I've said myself here before love to see you have a run at Hellblazer. Fingers crossed.