Main Menu

Paddington and certificate ratings

Started by Magnetica, 30 November, 2014, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Weren't the original Star Wars films given a U certificate?

They contain:
Severed bloody limbs
Smoking holes in bodies
Burnt skeletal human remains
Monsters eating folk
Monsters trying to drown folk
Falls from a great height
People dying horribly in exploding spaceships
Burning teddy bears

Etc etc

IAMTHESYSTEM

Paddington should embrace class consciousness;lead the masses to victory over the Bourgeoisie state and then succumb to Power becoming a Stalinist grotesque exterminating everyone in an orgy of death lust. Finally he dies alone raving at the futility of existence. Oh the humanity!

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

Judge Olde

I went to see this with my girlfriend, we both enjoyed it. Packed screening & only one child (who was annoying running about at the end), it was a really good enjoyable fun film. Rating wise, I've an open mind. A really good, must see film!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Magnetica on 30 November, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
Well as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating - my little boy did find it scary.

How old's your son, Magnetica?

I'm thinking of taking the family to see this, although the idea of someone wanting to capture (and kill?) Paddington does sound rather removed from kind of things that happen in the books.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

It did feel a little....off. But honestly I think you would struggle to capture the imagination of a wider audience if you stuck to the book 100%. I saw it on Christmas Eve and I rather enjoyed it.

Magnetica

Dash, my son will be 5 in a couple of weeks. I think the point is different children react differently - my three year old daughter had no problem with it all.

And indeed my son can watch other films which would think have more things in them that he might find scary but he is fine with them.

I think the reason was that he has really bought into Paddington as a character and did want to see him come to harm, where as with other more "cartoony" stuff that isn't the case.

The main point I was trying to make was that an adult isn't necessarily the best judge of what a small child might or might not find scary - the best judge of that is a small child, or really a group of small children.

I don't want to put you off taking your family to this  as it is generally fine, it is just that boy did find it scary.

Magnetica

Did NOT want to see him come to harm I mean.

ThryllSeekyr

:lol:

I just noticed Bear's Avatar Picture.

radiator

Baffled at all the fuss tbh. Saw the movie over Christmas and didn't see anything even remotely risque or scary. PG seems downright harsh if you ask me.

Also caught a bit of Raiders on telly (also, IIRC, rated PG) and there's a bit in that where a bloke gets shot right in the fucking face at close range.

QuoteI think the reason was that he has really bought into Paddington as a character and did want to see him come to harm, where as with other more "cartoony" stuff that isn't the case.

I think that may be a large part of it. So much of kids entertainment is just cynical garbage - we had to sit through about 5 trailers for kids films before Paddington and they all looked absolutely insufferable, whereas I'd personally rate Paddington on a par with Pixar's stuff which tends to have more of an emotional punch.