Main Menu

New Readers Start Here!

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 September, 2012, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samson_k

I would suggest the epic that is Nikolai Dante for new readers as the saga encapsulates everything that makes 2000AD great - an exceptionally well formed cast of characters in a story that has a beginning, a middle and an end and one that has action, comedy, pathos, darkness, light, romance and brilliant writing and art throughout.

I would also recommend Dafoe because it is probably one of the few zombies story in recent years that has done anything particularly new and anything that has Marty Feldman cast is a winner in my book.

If you like exciting takes on zombie stories then Zombo is one of the other stories that does something exciting and interesting.

If you can track it down then Zenith is as good a superhero story as you will ever read.

sharkeyfinn

hi guys,its been (sadly)quite a few years since i regularly read 2000ad,but its always been one of the few true loves of my life.
i guess like a few folks now,having seen the new movie(i thought stallone relly pulled it off......erk ;-)
i wanted to reconnect with people i would assume are around my age but are also still mentally challenged and refuse to give in to old age lol.truely loved the new movie(although i do have a couple of quieries for you guys at some point) and really did think carl urban did a cracking job. so hello to you all,your what i like in life,true dedicated loyal people. hats off to you guys.
All time faves:
chopper
abc warriors(joe pineapples being my hero)
strontium dog( wish ferral had come to more)
duram red

scribbler

Hi All, it's great to find a place for Dredd Heads! I first picked up a 2000ad prog back in 1989, i remember it had a cracking cover with Dredd looking more grumpy than usual holding a pair of explosive Y fronts, anyone remember that issue? I was hooked from then on, i loved Necropolis and judgment Day. I have fond memories of Strontium dog, Nemesis, and Durham Red from the early 90's.
I'm sad to say i stopped reading after the Stallone debacle. I got back into comics after reading the Scarlet Traces books and am now a happy 2000ad reader again after buying prog 1798 on a whim. My only regret is missing out on Dredd's day of Chaos stuff. Gutted!

orinAGN

Hey everyone! 
Apparently this is the place to say hi.  So I'm doing it.  A few of you are on IMDB, it would seem.
I was led here by Samson_k. 

So, yeah.  As for Dredd, I only have a couple issues/progs.  I need to start ordering the Collected Case Files and Restricted Files.  Apparently none of my local comicbook shops carry 2000 AD.
I've been told to get - "Origins", "America", "Democracy"/"Democracy Now", the "Dead Man" stories, all the Judge Death stuff.  Also, all the Anderson/Psi Division stuff.

And as for non-Dredd:
I'm looking to get into -
Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog and ABC Warriors, Ace Trucking Co, Babe Race 2000, and now, all the stories you mentioned.

Glad to be around so many Dredd-Heads.

Dandontdare

welcome - I understand imdb can be a liitle more.. um.. robust in it's discussions. We're a gentler lot here.

SmallBlueThing

AlpineNewt: ten years away means youve missed Clint Langley on both Slaine and ABC Warriors. Thankfully, most of it is now available in gorgeous hardbacks (and yes, you do want them in hardback, as the paperback versions are slow arriving)- immediatlely buy yourself:

SLAINE: BOOKS OF INVASIONS Vols 1-3

SLAINE: THE WANDERER

ABC WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR Vols 1-4

You also need to pick up the new adventures of STRONTIUM DOG- starting with THE KREELER CONSPIRACY.

SBT

chairhead

Just got the latest Megazine here in Canada. Loves the Pack story and the Hondo-City stories. I've picked up some case files and masters books as well. Loved the movie. Long time fan, now as an adult I can find all the Dredd to read I can handle.

Mabs

Just a question about posts.

How long before a newbie can post on the main forums? Is it a matter of time, or depending on post numbers? Because its a little frustrating not being to share in some of the discussion! Especially to post my reviews of The Meg or Progs.

I'm sorry, I know you've probably answered this before but I cannot find it!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Annick

Big hi to you all. 61+ and 30 yrs of Mags in attic (so forecast floods won't get').

Andy Smart

Non-Dredd Recommendations:

Nemesis
ABC Warriors: The Black Hole
Any Strontium Dog, old or new

Semi-Dredd Recommendations:

America
Return of the Taxidermist

templar

Quote from: Mabs on 29 September, 2012, 08:30:40 PM

How long before a newbie can post on the main forums? Is it a matter of time, or depending on post numbers? Because its a little frustrating not being to share in some of the discussion! Especially to post my reviews of The Meg or Progs.

Not to jump on but I was wondering that myself. Bit of a fish out of water over here. Can't seem to add a profile pic either.

Hoagy

Annick! 61+ That is amazing! Welcome sir.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Richmond Clements

Quote from: templar on 21 December, 2012, 05:05:35 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 29 September, 2012, 08:30:40 PM

Done.

Not to jump on but I was wondering that myself. Bit of a fish out of water over here. Can't seem to add a profile pic either.

Sideshow Bob

Hi Guys,
I've been a reader on this site for a while,  and have now decided to join in ...

I'm a long time 2000AD fan, which has led me into other Comics, Graphic Novels then Figures and original artwork... It's a slippery slope once you start ( and it just seems to get slippier !!)..

The reason I've decided to put up a post, other than introducing myself,  is just to say thanks to those people who discussed the Mongrol figure from 3A in one of the other forums......It kind of caught my eye, and I was amazed that I had missed this figure when it came out originally.....I know it had a kind of limited release but it completely passed me by.  Then when I saw the photos of it on here...Wow !!....... Long story short, my wallet is now considerably lighter, but I now have a ThreeA 1/6 scale 'original' coloured Mongrol sitting on my desk !!...Awesome.!!...Anyone involved in the production side of this must be commended,  as it's a work of art in itself...Just wonderful.  A truly fabulous creation and I now can't wait for Hammerstein.   Big thanks to you guys on the forum, and of course to Ash and all his Team...

My collecting side started when I visited my brother who stayed outside London in the 80's,  and we went to a Comic shop in Covent Garden which just happened to be selling some artwork.  This included 2 pages of Devlin Waugh by Sean Phillips from the 'Swimming in Blood' storyline that I saw in 2000AD.    Well, the old credit card got hammered that day to the sum of £300 for 2 full colour interior published pages, and I've never looked back...Well, I have I suppose ( driving etc ), but I have never regretted it....
Sean Phillips, in my opinion is just an amazing artist.  I met him at Thoughtbubble in Leeds in 2012 and he was a great guy to meet, chat to and was so friendly...He ended up doing a Devlin Waugh sketch for me ( in about 5 minutes----amazing ), chatted away and was really friendly...Meeting him, John McCrea ( Hitman, The Boys etc ) and Marc Waid really made my weekend there....And don't get me started on the costumes...Some absolutely fabulous costumes, some pretty crap ones as well though, but the majority were great...What a fabulous experience....Highly recommended to everyone..     
And I got my photo taken getting arrested by two Judges..There to promote the Judge Minty film.....
I would include some photos but I'm still a newbie,
but thanks anyway..
Cheers,
Bob

" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Dredd Head

Hi everyone

I'm a new reader just picked up Judge Dredd case files 01 and loving it, I also got day of chaos the fourth faction was just wondering what's everyone's favourite Dredd story and secondly thinking about picking up strontium dog where do i start. Thanks