Main Menu

Your Favorite Prog Covers!

Started by Rogue Judge, 20 March, 2017, 05:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Yes. Mean Arena was great.

I have to say I'm surprised at the support for the McCarthy cover to #473. Doesn't appeal to me at all. Bit of an explosion in a paint factory that one.

Rara Avis

Sounds interesting. Which Extreme Edition did it appear in?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rara Avis on 24 March, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Sounds interesting. Which Extreme Edition did it appear in?

It appeared in Extremes 26, 27 and 28

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=covers&page=reprints&choice=EXTREME In Barney we trust.

Have to say I read this recently and while it starts off fine it doesn't hold up for too long.

Colin YNWA

I've avoided this as it too hard but there always two covers I return to when I think of this question

and

But realise its easy to get sucked into plugging for the older more recognised images so thought about more modern ones that are as powerful and this one meets that grade in such a different, more modern way

As ever I reserve the right to change my mind at the drop of a hat!

Rogue Judge

I have mixed feelings regarding the McCarthy Rain cover - the art is wonderful but the coloring is a little chaotic/muddy looking...

Lots of other great covers here prog 1880 is an amazing painted cover (is that for Slaine?) and that Dredd Flesh/cursed earth cover is awesome. And that Nemesis cover is so...weird!

Found a cool ABC Warriors one too (Just finished reading this lately)

Andy Lambert

I look at the cover of Prog 1508 and all I can see is Ozzy Osbourne... I can even hear him shouting "SHARON!"

Excellent choices there, Colin - definitely some I would have chosen myself.

I'm going to submit a cover that really caught my eye when it was in the shops. I had stopped reading 2000ad for some time, but I saw this and it really made me curious to see what it was all about inside, so I bought it right there and then.
That's the purpose of a good cover, and it certainly succeeded where I was concerned...

Andy Lambert

This is another cover that caught my eye during my 'wilderness years', convincing me to buy it...

Dog Deever

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 March, 2017, 09:50:50 PM
It appeared in Extremes 26, 27 and 28

All of which are available from Tharg's shop for a mere £2.99 apiece.
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/specials

QuoteHave to say I read this recently and while it starts off fine it doesn't hold up for too long.

I suppose, the lesson from t'other thread about bad stories is that it's all subjective really. The violence builds to a crescendo throughout, along with the body count. There are some interesting theme's around the expendability of even the greatest players- all churned up for the greed of the profiteers, their death and maiming eagerly and callously consumed for 'entertainment' by those who call themselves fans.

There's something of the original 'Rollerball' film in it that pisses all over the tedious football strips of the day (you know, the pedestrian crap that was in pretty much every other dull comic around that era, with endless pictures of balls pinging around between tiny figures which never had a hope of recreating the drama and tension of real football games). Money, drugs, violence, murder, corruption, vengeance and vendetta, it had it by the spade load.

Though I can see why some might feel the arc with the Mother Vlad's Vampires team is silly, why should 'realism' matter in a scifi-fantasy-action strip any more than Harry (fucking) Potter or Batman (as if there isn't anything utterly ridiculous about either of those)?
I can suspend my disbelief for a rollicking good yarn and a tall-tale is as good as any other (for me). Love it- action, ideas and larger than life characters- many of them utterly psychotic, even Tallon's own team is full of unlikable bastards who initially despise him and fear he is using them in his quest for revenge, which he is. Thought-provoking subtexts and some pretty atmospheric art from Mike White, as well as a great run on 'season 2' with the Jensen Gang from Steve Dillon.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Rara Avis

Sold!

2000AD should have a warning label on the front that it is extremely habit forming.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dog Deever on 24 March, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

I suppose, the lesson from t'other thread about bad stories is that it's all subjective really.

Yeah excellent point that I made myself serveral times. There is some pretty great art throughtout... well there should be I'm a big fan of Eric Bradbury but just don't think his art works here for reason's that completely escape me.

Andy Lambert I promise I'm not just saying this to return the complement but when I was looking through Barney for exemplary modern cover that cover from 1819 by James Harren almost got my vote as did the cover of 1852 Ian Culbard first person beastie jumping at you. Both are so striking and superbly designed.

Tjm86

Quote from: Rara Avis on 25 March, 2017, 07:12:17 AM
2000AD should have a warning label on the front that it is extremely habit forming.

I think Tolkien has a similar warning.

Magnetica

Probably Prog 61 for me.

I have actually never owned the actual Prog, but I have had the T-Shirt twice.

http://www.2000ad.org/covers/2000ad/hires/61.jpg

(BTW I don't know how to post the actual image - any tips?)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 March, 2017, 09:13:10 AM
(BTW I don't know how to post the actual image - any tips?)

4 simple steps:

> Upload to an image-hosting site such as photobucket
> copy the "Direct" link for the image
> click the "insert image" icon on a new post or reply
> paste the link between the brackets.

Voila!

Spikes

Mmmm, this is a toughie...

I think Prog 61 will always be my absolute favourite cover, but Prog 178 kinda gets me in ways that no other cover does.

I've brilliant memories of that period.

And it came with a free gift - very important that, Tharg should bring them back.... 

And it always strikes me as being the start of the first golden period. Though in truth, I think it started a few progs before.

Rara Avis

Surely that should read extremely hobbit forming?  ;)

I'll see myself out ...

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 March, 2017, 08:58:11 AM
I think Tolkien has a similar warning.