Main Menu

Martin Eden's - The O-Men

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 August, 2012, 08:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well this is creeping closer and closer up my 'too buy' pile, to the point where I keep putting it in and out of my PP basket.

Payday tomorrow, I can decide then.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 November, 2015, 07:52:47 PM
Well this is creeping closer and closer up my 'too buy' pile, to the point where I keep putting it in and out of my PP basket.

Payday tomorrow, I can decide then.

Go see him (Martin) at Thought Bubble - he's lovely and I'm sure he'll sell you some goodies at a very decent price.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Oh! Excellent, I shall deffinelty be doing that.

I've saved a small fortune for TB so this'll deffinetly be getting the thrice over!

Colin YNWA

I should point out I'm making an assumption that he'll be there. He has every year I've been and so, like Cinebook, just assume he always will be!

Hawkmumbler

He shall be, I checked the floor plan just now, Royal Armouries table 80.

Colin YNWA

So the question is did you get any of the good stuff Hawkmonger?

Hawkmumbler

Oh! Yes, I did, and the good man himself Martin Eden is a delightful guy. Had a nice long chat about the various Image books we where picking up, and managed to get him hooked on Copperhead. So it was kind of an OK day!

Despite beind the outragiously cheap price of £5 each I only nabbed the first two collected volumes of The O-Men, too many other comics demanded my attention but 400 pages for £10 is a real doozy. And they are gorgeously presented things as well, especially for small press.

But how good ARE they? Dunno, they're next on the reading pile after Hunterkind though so expect a report back sometime soon, but I REALLY enjoyed Spandex #1, he seemed to be shifting these single issues to make way for the same kind of trades he's done for TOM, so those will be on my to buy list as it's really quite wonderful and intruiging stuff. Also, PUNS! "They Watch Men" almost made me bust my appendex with ironic laughter. Genius stuff, but I shall report back once i've devoured thise 400 pages.

Hawkmumbler

Well that was jolly good stuff indeed. I can only echo Colins many praises for this series. A little rough an ready around the edges, and in early issues wares it's influences a little too much on it's sleave but quickly developed into it's own beast, and quite a fantastical mish mash of Sandman, X-Men and our own Zenith. Quality stuff, and it really does show that so long as you practice anyone can improve, and comics aren't something you graduate into straight away. Small press at it's very best, volumes 3 and 4 are on the must buy pile!

Scary thing is though, O-Men started publication when I was but a wee nipper, and it's still going strong.

Hawkmumbler

Welp The O Men vol's. 3 and 4 arrived today. Wont get around to reading them until after Christmas but i'm anxious to do so, as it's shaping out to be a corcking series. But is it just me or are their a few members of SPANDEX on the cover of volume 3? Wasn't aware it was a spin-off...

Hawkmumbler

OK quadroople post and necromancy yaddayaddayadda but I just wrapped up volume 4 of The O-Men, one of the few comics I left out of being packed away, and oh my goodness it's just some of the best comics can buy. The metatextual and analytical nature of the thing in exchange for brawny brawling is only really comparable to some of the best comics of the genre, Zenith Phase 4, The Maxx, and (Moore's) Swamp-Thing. It really is just crazy good, and you all should be buying it in droves.

Colin YNWA

Have you done Spandex yet? Its just as good.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 April, 2016, 01:55:37 PM
Have you done Spandex yet? Its just as good.
Only issue 1 (dat cliffhanger!) but I'm undecided weather to splash out on #2-#6 or wait in the forth comic omnibus (same format as the O-Men books I believe).

Colin YNWA

So this one has been a while. Just done a re-read of The complete O-men for which included for the first time the final volume 5 - which is only available digitally and well nothing new needs to be said about hiow good the first 3 volumes are BUT

Volume 4 and 5 together are just another level. They involve Season 2 and 3 ( 3 which is a short mini-series that wrap ups the lose ends and really ties things together wonderfully.). Series 2 is the meat here and its wonderful. Starting after the Anathema War when Kelly Connor - Vixen reforms the O-Men for reasons that are central to this series. Its tighter and leaner to the wonderfully epic Season 1 but lack none of the twists, turns and sense of power and scale. Its also epic stuff but feels more filtered and direct.

It wraps up so much, though never really closes doors and is just superb. Available digitally (I'm not sure if Martin still has physical copies, though I think volume 5 was only ever digital). Look just check these comics out they are aces.

Re-reading Spandex next...

Colin YNWA

And good as O-Men is and much as you can revel in its epic story Spandex is better. Fittingly it squeezes so much into a tight package but looks damned good doing so. Its lean, funny and utterly enthralling. Can recommend it highly enough.