Main Menu

Never-Before-Seen Encounters In Superhero Comics

Started by Stephen Parry, 30 March, 2016, 11:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Parry

Super-Villain Team-Up was a missed opportunity for me. I enjoyed the Doom/Namor arc, but it was all we saw for a while (until later issues when likes of Red Skull and Magneto showed up). It should really have been called "Namor & Doctor Doom". I wanted Doom/Goblin, Kingpin/Octopus, Loki/Dormammu, etc. Bit of a misnomer, I felt.

I do remember Acts of Vengeance. Didn't quite live up to the hype but it was great to see encounters such as Alpha Flight VS Scorpion, Strange VS Hobgoblin and Thor VS Juggernaut.

By the way, just who would win out of Destroyer and Juggernaut? It truly would be the irresistible force meeting the immovable object. I know Destroyer has mystical properties, but doesn't Juggernaut have some, part of that gem of Cyttorak 'thing'?

Hawkmumbler

Actually on the topic of super villain team ups i've been blasting my way through the Ostrander run on Suicide Squad recently and you know what, it's probably some of the best comics i've read, not just mainstream comics but this stuff touches on some deep political and ethical issues, all the while uphoalding a likeable cast without losing the focus on them being various shades of anti-hero and even outright villainous.

So yeah, go buy those trades while they're hot!

Colin YNWA

Always meant to check out the Ostrander Suicide Squad issues, (and his Martian Manhunter too) only read a few. Might wait for a digital sale when the film comes out (I reckon) or there are a couple of trades now as well I think?

If you like your Ostrander have you read any Grimjack. Immense fun. I'd not rate it as some of the best comic but really, really entertainly stuff.

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, I assume the digital Comixology issues will be on sale soon, but you can get the new trades for a great price now (3 available thus far, and 4 and 5 up for pre-order). It's bloody fantastic stuff, and you can really see how out of all the post Crisis titles it was one of the most influental.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suicide-Squad-Volume-Trial-Fire/dp/140125831X/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=61yter9139L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR106%2C160_&refRID=1NTA1KSM7CXC1SHSDXZ7

Grimjack was that odd space fantasy series from First, right? Been eyeing those omnibuses up for awhile now, shall promptly bump it up a few places.

richerthanyou

Lobo vs Bronze Tiger.

Keep in mind I haven't seen arrow so they may have made him completely un-badass

I'm talking about League Of Assassins day Bronze Tiger

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

jacob g

Quote from: Stephen Parry on 01 April, 2016, 11:33:01 AMI do remember Acts of Vengeance. Didn't quite live up to the hype but it was great to see encounters such as Alpha Flight VS Scorpion, Strange VS Hobgoblin and Thor VS Juggernaut.

Best thing in Acts Of Vengeance - Daredevil beating Ultron... with stick.
margaritas ante porcos

Professor Bear

Surely the most awesome moment would be when he scrambles up a mountain of skulls in a truck he then uses to run Ultron down?

Colin YNWA

Having recently read that very story on a reread of Ann Nocenti's magnificent DD run (go over to the DD fan thread for endless whittering on this and more by ME ME I) I can whole heartedly say it is a simply brilliant story. So wonderfully crafted and you can pull an individual moment out and make it sound so very, very silly and yet it holds together so well and has more creativity in that one story than most the rest of that cross over put together.

Glory glory Ann Nocenti.