Main Menu

Moebius!

Started by Rately, 29 April, 2016, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Have admired the man's art for years, and followed numerous tumblrs and blogs that have shared, dissected, celebrated etc. his art. Finally looking to add a few books of his to my collection, and was hoping you good people will give me some advice on what to buy, and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Hawkmumbler

Well firstly Dark Horse will launch a new Moebius library katter this year, which will fill a great deal of the masters work in english at last.

Until then? The Incal by Jodo and Girard, particularly the Humanoids HC. Masterful stuff, a classic.

Colin YNWA

Yep looks like Hawkmumbler beat me to it and I can't add much to that.

Its a shame that I can't as if Blueberry was more readily available I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. Alas still awaiting it getting a re-release in English.

Rately

Thanks fellas.

I'll definitely be making the most of the Dark Horse Moebius library, as i've rarely seen much in way of English translations toher than Airtight Garage and his short story with Dan O'Bannon.

Blueberry really appeals to me as i'm a massive fan of Westerns, and having seen bits and pieces over the years, i think its something right up my street.

Thanks again for the replies. More stuff to add to the growing wish list.

Rately

jacob g

I'll suggest any collection that contains The Long Tomorrow. While I love Airtight Garage - it's experiment, The Long Tomorrow in other hand is nice short story and amazing blueprint for looks of Blade Runner.

Great short story.

(And Blueberry ofcourse)
margaritas ante porcos

Rately

Quote from: jacob g on 30 April, 2016, 11:04:04 AM
I'll suggest any collection that contains The Long Tomorrow. While I love Airtight Garage - it's experiment, The Long Tomorrow in other hand is nice short story and amazing blueprint for looks of Blade Runner.

Great short story.

(And Blueberry ofcourse)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hawkmumbler

It's a great shame Moebius never got to work on 2000AD at any point, working on Metal Hurlant such as he did.

Geez, could you imagie Termight drawn by Moebius?! Dear lord that would have been magnificent. :o

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 April, 2016, 10:45:54 PM
It's a great shame Moebius never got to work on 2000AD at any point, working on Metal Hurlant such as he did.

Geez, could you imagie Termight drawn by Moebius?! Dear lord that would have been magnificent. :o

Would have been amazing.

He would have been spectacular on pretty much anything in 2000AD. just imagine his version of the cursed earth!

Tjm86

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 April, 2016, 10:45:54 PM

In many respects the world of the Incal is very similar but yes, that is definitely a loss.  At least we had Colin Wilson on Rogue Trooper.  There are aspects of his work that are not wholly dissimilar.  Not completely surprising since he has done so much work in French, including on Blueberry.  Into the Shadow of the Sun: Rael is well worth a look at and not too expensive. The first in a trilogy that was unfortunately never completely translated from the French.  Although the plot is somewhat straightforward it is the perfect showcase for Wilson's artwork.

ZenArcade

Ok, now that my 2000ad collection is complete, I'm gonna attempt a complete Heavy Metal collection (I would love to try Metal Hurlant; but my french just isnt up to it). So guys, advice and tips?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ancient Otter

Quote from: ZenArcade on 01 May, 2016, 02:12:23 PM
Ok, now that my 2000ad collection is complete, I'm gonna attempt a complete Heavy Metal collection (I would love to try Metal Hurlant; but my french just isnt up to it). So guys, advice and tips?? Z

A complete Heavy Metal collection? Like all of the magazines?

Tjm86

Quick question Zen. Does that collection include Tornado and Starboard?  They aren't in the same league as tooth but Starlord comes close at times.  Also Warrior and Revolver are worth a look as is Crisis at times.  It can get a bit pretentious on occasions but there is some cracking stuff in it.  The pre ban action is also worth a read if only from a historical perspective.  Post ban it can be quite a slog at times.

I know you were thinking in a different direction but just wondered if you'd considered these as well.

BPP

Call me a heathen but the Crepax collection will be getting my shekels.

I found The Incal a curious experience to read - obviously it's as beautiful as bedammed but the story is very much s series of disjointed epsoides where characters simply spool through the danger with no development or consequence. And with none of them particularly engaging (I got bored of DiFool pretty quick) it became much less compelling. Unlike something like Fires or Indian Summer it's not a tale I feel interest in rereading beyond glimpsing some of the artwork.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd