Main Menu

SPACE:1999

Started by Tiplodocus, 25 September, 2015, 12:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 25 September, 2015, 03:23:26 PM
I don't know how many of you good people are reading my classic TV blog Fire-Breathing Dimetrodon Time, but I'm watching some great 1960s-1970s adventure shows with my four year-old.  I'm totally planning to drop "Dragon's Domain" on him when he's seven or so, and plan for him to sleep in our bed that night.

https://firebreathingdimetrodon.wordpress.com/

Considering you Avatar, when are you doing The Princes' Bride?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 September, 2015, 01:07:06 PM
Did the alien lady only appear in the second season?

Haven't you done enough damage with the Underware Thread?
DDT did a job on me

blackmocco

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 25 September, 2015, 03:23:26 PM
I'm totally planning to drop "Dragon's Domain" on him when he's seven or so, and plan for him to sleep in our bed that night for the following three years.

That one scarred me pretty bad...! Haha!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

von Boom

Spikes

Quote from: blackmocco on 25 September, 2015, 02:54:52 PM
I'd always remembered everything being washed out shades of white and beige.

It was merely black and white on our telly..  :P

But yeah, looking forward to re-visiting these 2 series of Space 1999.
Season One was released on Blu-ray a few years ago now, and it looked like season Two wasn't coming for some reason, but yes, it'll finally get here in a week or two, from good old Network.

Not really seen these since I was a nipper, but BBC2 did repeat at least some of these in the 90's iirc.

And whilst the Falcon is cool, it'll never be Eagle transporter cool.

blackmocco

Man, the second season is really bad though. I'll pick this up I'm sure, but just out of duty.

As for the Eagle design, it just looked (and still does) completely functional. Great lines.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 September, 2015, 12:33:04 PM
How completely stupid the concept is. But, fuck it, I ran with it.

Even as a nipper (watching the 90s repeats) I remember thinking how stupid it was. Which is not to say that I didn't think it was rather brilliant in its audacity.
@jamesfeistdraws

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 September, 2015, 12:33:04 PM
Annoyed that, twelve days back, I missed the 16th anniversary of our moon blasting out of orbit, I thought I'd check out some Space:1999 stuff ... any good "Making Of" documentaries that people would recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0vIxkS7LTs

And yes, the shape changer alien lady only turned up in Series 2 when they decided to dumb it down/make it kid friendlier (delete as appropriate)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I totally loved this show, also a close runner up to Dr Who, with Blake's Seven in the mix too.  I never totally understood the plots as a kid, but loved the production values and special effects. I was always totally envious of any friend that owned a toy Eagle. Very tempted to get that aforementioned Blu-Ray.

von Boom

Thanks to Tips starting this thread I pulled out the first series blu-ray and watched the first episode with my wife. She'd never seen it she says!

It's still a very decent show. The tech and the effects are dated, but the story itself is far more original and interesting that most of the drek they spew forth today and call entertainment.

Tiplodocus

Ordered Season 1 on blu-ray.

That fan documentary (focumentary?) was quite interesting. Is Gerry Anderson really that nice and polite?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

auxlen

I love space 1999.
there is a lot of crap but the design is beautiful and the score devine.
series 2 was a step in the wrong direction but there were some excellent episodes.
The Rules of Luton is a personal fave because i can smell the Roast dinner cooking in me mums kitchen whenever i watch that.
also the one where people from earth come to visit in a super fast space ship (a two parter). I had it on VHS called alien attack or something.

Tjm86

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 September, 2015, 05:03:08 PM
Ordered Season 1 on blu-ray.

When the announcement that they had finally decided to release season 2 came out I went looking at the season 1 price again.  Down to £25 so decided to take a punt.  They really have cleaned it up nicely with the added bonus that you can play all where the DVD had you watching an episode at a time.  The sound mix is quality too.  And as has been mentioned previously, the theme tune really does rock, especially with the remastering.

There have been attempts to remake / redo this for a good few years now and I believe there is a website dedicated to it.  Last I looked it didn't look like it had been updated in along while so I guess that one is not going to happen.  Shame!

Tiplodocus

What a lovely box set this is.

Up to Black Sun - science isn't going to be this series strong point is it? But I can live with that.

As an aside, when did the term Black Hole come into common parlance?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

From SF, I imagine: I think Larry Niven started using the (already widely used in Astro/physics circles) term in the early-mid 1970s, and it sort of spread from there.   Prior to that it was singularities and dark stars and collapsars and all sorts of things.  I'm dimly remembering something about it in the indispensible Trillion Year Spree?