Main Menu

High-Rise (2016)

Started by Goaty, 14 December, 2015, 10:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Ancient Otter

Looking like my most anticipated sci-fi film of next year so far, ahead of a a Denis Villeneuve adaptation of The Story of Your Life.

CrazyFoxMachine

Ben bloody Wheatley. That guy just keeps coming up with the goods. Grand cast, looks brilliant the 70s aesthetic is spot-on.

No word if Hawkwind's glorious song version will be included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7tNfyVbNnQ

ThryllSeekyr

TordelBack

That looks fab.  Hiddleston does a mean Fassbender impression.

Goaty

James Stacey

Those posters nail the feel perfectly.

Keef Monkey

Kermode gave it a shout out in his latest video blog, saw it at a festival and described it as a very divisive film that half the audience loved and half the audience really, really didn't. He was one of the people who loved it.

The fact it's so marmite makes me even more curious to see it to be honest.

Goaty

Theblazeuk

JG Ballard would approve of that poster I believe

Zanti Misfit

"Build high for happiness"

Goaty

COMMANDO FORCES

That reminds me of A Clockwork Orange!

Colin YNWA

Have to say that trailer makes it look nothing short of fascinating.

Zanti Misfit

Just seen this at the local flea-pit and.. what a pile of pretentious, indulgent... hah!.. just kidding, I loved it!
A few initial impressions;
Certainly not for everyone - a surreal, bizarre, bonkers adaptation of JGB's novel which many may find all show and no substance (and in part it makes little sense) but I stopped trying to rationalise and instead enjoyed the heady, decadent '70's vibe, and the lovely/grotesque images and music.
Smoking, (practically every character sparks-up constantly - like an episode of UFO) bonking and ABBA in abundance! (not to mention the very brief glimpse of a comic a lot of us use to read before 2000AD came along, and at times in the flick, I'm reminded of a certain Peach Trees city block).
Hiddlestone was particularly impressive, but why does every Reece Shearsmith role sound exactly like Ollie Plimsolls?
Colourful, violent, disturbing and dream-like, not one for dog-lovers.

I'd like to give a more in-depth/sensible response to this film, but alas, Friday night is drinking night so, maybe tomorrow.

(On reflection though, I still prefer 'Paradise Towers')