Main Menu

Is this It For Ghostbusters Two....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 February, 2016, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

IndigoPrime

Seems OK to me. Mind you, I don't get all of the bile being flung at this film. Lots of idiot fanboys threatened by women. Probably the same people who threw their toys out of their pram when they discovered the two Star Wars leads were going to be—SHOCK!—a black guy and a woman. (Personally, when I heard John Bodega had got the part, I was thrilled. He was excellent in Attack the Block.)

Radbacker

Well Ghost Busters is probably one of my favourite movies from my youth (along with Gremlins of course) and I'm actually pretty hyped for this, don't care that they're a bunch a whimin as long as it's got the humour of the first movie I'll enjoy it.  As for the villain they've chosen, interesting choice [spoiler]the Ghostbuster logo coming to life? maybe when some pencil dick comes in and shuts down the containment field this is what pops up[/spoiler].
It could be awful of course, but I've got hope.

CU Radbacker

von Boom

I have no problem with the cast being women. I just wish they were actually funny women.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2016, 10:43:02 AM
Seems OK to me. Mind you, I don't get all of the bile being flung at this film. Lots of idiot fanboys threatened by women.

Yeah, this is insane.  Someone should tell them women are allowed to have jobs now. And if that job is bustin' ghosts, that's fine and dandy with me!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: von Boom on 19 February, 2016, 12:35:41 PMI have no problem with the cast being women. I just wish they were actually funny women.
I'm not familiar with their stand-up, but McCarthy and Wiig have been perfectly decent in the films I've seen them in. I don't think the performances will be much of an issue; the writing's an unknown to me, since I've not seen anything Katie Dippold has penned.

ThryllSeekyr

Well, I call women for different reasons and still think the original team own it.

Even if Dan Akroyd seems totally on board with this.

Didn't write a rough draft for film about them being a squad of Space-Rangers who protected humanity from aliens and this became Ghostbusters????? I know I read this somewhere!

If Slimer was based on the late John Belushi, shouldn't do the same for Harold Ramis without making it official. I understand this could be seen as in bad taste, but that's what the ugly little spud was based on.

von Boom

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2016, 01:08:58 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 19 February, 2016, 12:35:41 PMI have no problem with the cast being women. I just wish they were actually funny women.
I'm not familiar with their stand-up, but McCarthy and Wiig have been perfectly decent in the films I've seen them in. I don't think the performances will be much of an issue; the writing's an unknown to me, since I've not seen anything Katie Dippold has penned.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find both Wiig and McCarthy very unfunny. I have no idea who the other two are. I didn't even consider the writing.

TordelBack

I find it hard to assess how funny a film will be in the absence of a single clip.  Ghostbusters is a very hard act to follow, as GB2 proves, so I don't have particularly high hopes and doubt whether a reboot was ever a remotely good idea*  - but I'll at least wait until we hear a single line of  dialogue before condemning it!

*Note that I said almost exactly the same thing about Force Awakens.

James Stacey

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 February, 2016, 02:17:57 PM
I find it hard to assess how funny a film will be in the absence of a single clip.  Ghostbusters is a very hard act to follow, as GB2 proves, so I don't have particularly high hopes and doubt whether a reboot was ever a remotely good idea*  - but I'll at least wait until we hear a single line of  dialogue before condemning it!

*Note that I said almost exactly the same thing about Force Awakens.
This nails my main issue with the reboot. It's nothing to do with the gender of the cast, it's just such a tough act to follow. If it's crap I'll just ignore it, it wont alter Ghostbusters in any way.

IndigoPrime

Right. The original is still there. Are reboots necessary? Sure. But I'll bet people were also saying the same thing about films where the reboot turned out to work every well, either as an improvement on the original, or as a different film that nonetheless is a kind of kindred spirit to the first.

I really like Ghostbusters. It's a great film. It's also over 30 years old. Why not let another bunch of people have a crack at the same concept?

I, Cosh

Personally, I consider Point Break to be a far, far better film than Ghostbusters.

I have managed to contain my old man's irritation at the needless remake by not reading about it or watching it.
We never really die.

Goaty

Dredd was better reboot cos Judge Dredd was shit!

And Ghostbusters was classic, why the point on reboot it? and those are not funny people. just shout and doing having shit or drunk in Bridesmaids. So what news to new Ghostbusters?

ThryllSeekyr

I still can't find any rumour of what Dan Akroyd's original concept for scifi-spoof that sounded like he wanted to pay homage to the 1950's sci-fi serials. Sounded a lot like what that X-Com game was base on to me. Then were altered to become Ghostbusters

Could you imagine how that may have panned out if they stuck with that concept. Unfortunitely, it 's looks like I'm wrong when finding this while trying to sift through other related pages of Ghostbusters related internet.  It does sound a bit more X-Com with a paranormal theme.

They might have done that and with the ladies, but maybe not those ladies and go for a more serious less comedic approach. I don't think the success of the original film is being wasted on this experimentation with their style of comedy passed on to those who might not do so well with it.

No, I don't think lightening will strike twice here.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 19 February, 2016, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2016, 01:08:58 PM

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find both Wiig and McCarthy very unfunny. I have no idea who the other two are. I didn't even consider the writing.

Given the cast there probably won't be very much in the way of writing. I find Wiig very funny (although I don't think Bridesmaids is the masterpiece a lot of people seem to) but anything her or McCarthy are in always seems to be from the 'just put them in a situation and point the camera at them, the improv will do the rest!' school of modern comedy which sometimes works great and sometimes not so great.

I don't particularly have a problem with the casting, and to be honest I'd somehow managed to avoid the fact that Wiig is in it and that's given me a bit of hope I might get a chuckle or two out of it. McCarthy I find much more hit and miss, and not familiar with the others.