Main Menu

Captain Britain Telly show... maybe

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 March, 2016, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well there's been quite a lot of nattering about the possibility of the Captain Britain telly show after an image of a Captain Britain suit design did the rounds recently. Turns out it was just work for a proposal, but seems to have some momentum and got a lot of press coverage.

Anyway Rich Johnson also showed up on Radio 4 talking about him on The World Tonight, its at about 40.00 on this linkie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074vtcq#play

Read all about it here

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/28/tonight-bbc-radio-4-covers-captain-britain/

Which also has links to how the story broke.

Hawkmumbler

Honestly, Captain Britain is hands down one of the most presitigious characters in Marvels pantheon. I can't honestly think if a bad Cap.B story i've read and Alan Moore's run is a justified classic.

However, having just got off of a marathon read on Captain Britian and MI13 i'm possitive that THIS must be the core material any addaptation would be based off of. It's just oerfect comics, utterly off the wall, and would open several new aspects to the MCU not yet toched upon.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 March, 2016, 01:31:51 PM
However, having just got off of a marathon read on Captain Britian and MI13 i'm possitive that THIS must be the core material any addaptation would be based off of.

No no no...it must be the Moore run.
Reece Shearsmith must fulfill his destiny and portray Mad Jim Jaspers.

Professor Bear

Aside from the early 1980s stuff by British creators where they tried to actually make him less embarrassing, Captain Britain seems to be some sort of ongoing experiment by Marvel in how shite you can make a character before people stop reading.  Even long before they got to stuff like rebranding him as Britainic, he just seemed to be a Jenga tower of stupid ideas on the verge of collapsing - like the US books taking it as gospel that the character was an alcoholic because when his sister was murdered he had a stiff drink.

I don't even know what Cap's deal is anymore: is he still powered by Merlin, is he still a Pendragon, or is he powered by British nationalism again?

Link Prime

Goaty

I remember read Captain Britain, but I find it dull, so how it would work on TV?

Steve Green

Greg M.

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 29 March, 2016, 01:45:03 PM
I don't even know what Cap's deal is anymore: is he still powered by Merlin, is he still a Pendragon, or is he powered by British nationalism again?

I think Cornell had him powered by self-belief, a bit like Gladiator of the Shi'ar.

CalHab

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 March, 2016, 03:37:09 PM
I think Cornell had him powered by self-belief, a bit like Gladiator of the Shi'ar.

Or Jose Mourinho.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 March, 2016, 01:36:38 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 March, 2016, 01:31:51 PM
However, having just got off of a marathon read on Captain Britian and MI13 i'm possitive that THIS must be the core material any addaptation would be based off of.

No no no...it must be the Moore run.
Reece Shearsmith must fulfill his destiny and portray Mad Jim Jaspers.

Yes.

But they'll probably have him played by Tom Hardy in a blond wig and re-imagine CB as a hopeless drunk obsessed with the stock market, nostalgia and being Captain America's bitch.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Stephen Parry

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 29 March, 2016, 01:45:03 PM
Even long before they got to stuff like rebranding him as Britainic, he just seemed to be a Jenga tower of stupid ideas on the verge of collapsing - like the US books taking it as gospel that the character was an alcoholic because when his sister was murdered he had a stiff drink.

Well said. You have a way with words.

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 29 March, 2016, 01:45:03 PMI don't even know what Cap's deal is anymore: is he still powered by Merlin, is he still a Pendragon, or is he powered by British nationalism again?

Let me know, please, if you find out. ;)

Colin YNWA

GordonR

No idea why the Beeb have ran with this nonsense again after it first surfaced back in March.  It still looks exactly like it did back then - a couple of chancers with no inside connection to Marvel and Disney drumming up publicity for their no-hope pitch.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumored-captain-britain-tv-show-actually-producers-pitch

http://screencrush.com/captain-britain-tv-series-rumor-debunked/

IAMTHESYSTEM

Britain as a country will probably disappear into history if the current lead by the Brexiteers continues. Not much point in planning an expensive TV series about a British hero around that prospect. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 June, 2016, 10:52:27 AM
Britain as a country will probably disappear into history if the current lead by the Brexiteers continues. Not much point in planning an expensive TV series about a British hero around that prospect.
No Zenith series anytime soon then?

Or the Jack Staff series by cosgrave hall i've always wanted either...