Main Menu

Anyone remember 'Bravestarr' - ther sci-fi western 1980'S cartoon?

Started by Michael Knight, 09 June, 2016, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Hi folks been chatting in the movie thread about modern westerns and just remembered if anyone remembers this! Showing my age I know.  :lol:
For the Uninitiated it was set on a future earth mining colony names New Texas and the star of the show was Marshall Bravestarr a native american Sheriff sent to the planet to keep the law. With his shamen spirit guide he could summon the animal powers - the eyes of the hawk, strength of the bear, and speed of the puma!
It was the last Filmation cartoon the same guys that created the masters of the universe TV series.
I was and still am an avid fan of cartoons such as thundercats, masters of the universe, transformers et al!I have to say though 'bravestarr' was my favourite with the whole sci-fi western setting and it was ahead of its time with its respectful depiction of native americans and the titular hero of the show!  :)

TordelBack

I was too old to really enjoy Bravestarr, but I loved 30/30. Who doesn't want a transforming cyborg horse with a laser blunderbuss for a best pal?

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Michael Knight

loved 30/30 the talking horse who was an alien robotic species or something like that?  :lol:

Michael Knight

Dandontdare

showing YOUR age? I'm with Tordelback, it's after my time, don't think I ever saw it. Now if you want to talk Battle of the Planets or Terrahawks....

Professor Bear

Another vote for 30/30 - more western heroes should have a laser blunderbuss-wielding talking horse as their partner.   Adventures with a time-traveling Sherlock Holmes are a step in the right direction, too.

The artbooks for the shows from that era are pretty great if you can get your hands on one - Masters of the Universe just had a coffee table hardback out that features some amazing work, as well as some pretty funny script annotations from the toy company to the makers of the MOTU live-action film that at some point stopped being thoughts on the optics and became someone with a red pen writing "NO" over the top of descriptions of rape threats and panthers being fed the decapitated heads of characters from the cartoon.

JamesC

Bravestarr was great - he also had 'ears of the wolf' of course.

There was another good sci-fi western themed cartoon called 'Galaxy Rangers' but I think it only lasted one series.

Other than those, the best cartoons were Thundercats and Dungeons & Dragons (I still can't go on a rollercoaster without thinking about that cartoon).

M.I.K.

Possibly not the first Space-Indian. Although not specifically stated, it's highly likely that the similarly named Blackstar was also a native American, predating Bravestarr by 6 years, and David Bowie's album by 35.

My brother and I had a couple of the toys.

Link Prime

Loved Bravestarr, very entertaining cartoon and fantastic toys too- huge sturdy action figures with great articulation.
Was Tex Hex the best action figure of the 80's? Gotta be a contender.

The cartoon was pretty good at delivering the life lessons too, I vividly remember the episode that starred some kid who was addicted to a New Texas drug (bizarrely absorbed through the palm of your hand).
It really made an impact.

I have a sizeable stash of toy Kerium somewhere in storage- anyone know what the exchange rate is these days?  :lol:

Michael Knight

:lol: I still have the bartender figure 'Handlebar'.
Galaxy rangers was great as was dungeons and dragons.
Tell you what scared me though - Terrahawks them robot rolling heads and zelda the baddy i think that was her name scared the living daylights out of me!  :)

HdE

HA! I remember this show.

Glad to see Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers get a shout out as well. That one fuelled my long abiding love of science fiction cowoboys. And talking robot horses. 

(Now how long before someone mentions Ulysses 31?)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Michael Knight

HDE! I am kinda obsessed with Ulysses 31! With ya brother! What a show!  :)

By-Jove

I remember that one as well as the others mentioned. I think it suffered after that He-Man film flopped. Even though it's setting was moved to modern day America to save money. Which might been the problem. What I mean is they don't make a lot of cartoon film like that except Transformers which I never enjoyed that much since they altered for reality.

Ulysses 31, I think was the best of those cartoons. if it wasn't part of Filmation, but Mighty Morphin Power Rangers got in the way and now that's supposed to be remade with Brian -Breaking Bad- Cranston as Zordon. So, I'm think it may be billed as -as a joke- Mighty Meth-Head Power Rangers. I saw the earlier film they made, and it wasn't that bad, but not stuff I could really survive on. Not talking about the bad evil drugs either.

Again with Bravestarr...who could he be today?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Re imagining Bravestarr? Tough one since it's mostly superheroes now a days but a bad ass Lawman in a Sci Fi future there's a lot of mileage in that. ;) Maybe he's the only honest Native American Sheriff in a Redneck town on some lousy backwater planet filled with scum, villainy and Corporate raiders keen to exploit the planets resources just to make a buck and dah, dah, dah. Trouble is Blazing Saddles got there first didn't it?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla