Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Arrival.  Ah yeah, that was a great little film, well conceived and well realised, with some really satisfying moments of revelation: like an M Night Shayamalan movie made by someone who actually has a clue.  Amy Adams gives a particularly strong performance, and the designs are refreshingly understated. Proper SF done right. Nice, nice, nice.

When I think about my recent family cinema-going, we've had Dr Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Arrival and in a only a few weeks Rogue One (all 49 digits crossed), it feels like 2016 might actually be memorable for something other than death and despair.

Apestrife

Oasis - Supersonic

Seen it three times now (once in the theatre, two on BD) . Best music film I'v since Spinal tap. A really good story that's topped of with a nice message. Really like that it ends just before I started to listen to the band, felt like things hit a full circle for me.

Mad fer it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 November, 2016, 04:11:31 PM
When I think about my recent family cinema-going, we've had Dr Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Arrival and in a only a few weeks Rogue One (all 49 digits crossed), it feels like 2016 might actually be memorable for something other than death and despair.

Nothing like a Death Star to bring hope to the galaxy.

Link Prime

Link Prime

I watched the fantastic Room at the weekend.

I'd managed to avoid spoilers, so went in completely blind.
A really thought provoking film with wonderful performances- highly recommended if you haven't seen it already.

von Boom

Arrival. Lovely to see an intelligent science fiction film that doesn't try to patronise the audience. More like this please.

radiator

Sing Street.

Well that was just lovely, a really sweet-natured, vibrant quasi musical packed with memorable songs and performances.

It's a little predictable, broad, at times corny, and the ending borderline jumps the shark, but as an unashamed crowdpleaser that goes with the territory, and whats come before is so utterly charming it doesn't really matter. It's also perhaps a little too briskly paced - the first act seemingly having been ruthlessly cut down to 5 minutes runtime, to the point that it feels as if some character development and subplots were lost along the way. And I say that as someone who regularly moans about films being too long.

But overall, a wonderful little film. 5/5.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: radiator on 04 December, 2016, 07:46:12 PM
Sing Street.

Well that was just lovely, a really sweet-natured, vibrant quasi musical packed with memorable songs and performances.

It's a little predictable, broad, at times corny, and the ending borderline jumps the shark, but as an unashamed crowdpleaser that goes with the territory, and whats come before is so utterly charming it doesn't really matter. It's also perhaps a little too briskly paced - the first act seemingly having been ruthlessly cut down to 5 minutes runtime, to the point that it feels as if some character development and subplots were lost along the way. And I say that as someone who regularly moans about films being too long.

My favourite film of the year (haven't seen Rogue One yet though)
Just lovely

Mattofthespurs

Sully. Good film but rather bogged down in the politics. Still, Eastwood does a good job with a movie we all know how it ends. 7/10

radiator

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 05 December, 2016, 09:11:10 AM
Quote from: radiator on 04 December, 2016, 07:46:12 PM
Sing Street.

My favourite film of the year (haven't seen Rogue One yet though)
Just lovely

It's on Netflix too - here in the US at least.

Also saw Disney's The BFG.

It's OK, but total CG overload for me. Very reminiscent of The Hobbit visually, where the artifice is kinda distracting, and even things they easily could have shot on location, like regular city streets, are clearly very fake looking greenscreen environments.

I kinda wished they'd either made it a full cg animated movie, or a more 'real' version with real actors in prosthetics playing the giants and real elaborate giant sets, because for me there was always a pronounced visual disconnect between the weirdly stylised, motion-captured BFG (who frankly looks like a videogame character) and the little girl. Your brain never fully buys that they are inhabiting the same physical space, and for a film that hinges on that relationship, that's a pretty major problem.

While it gets better as it goes, I also thought there was a hard to define problem with the first half of the movie. I dunno, maybe its just me, but I felt like they never go far enough to begin with to make the BFG likable and charming - maybe due to Rylances mumbly performance, he comes across as kinda weird and vaguely sinister until quite late in the film.

For all the visual razzmatazz, I came away thing that the Cosgrove Hall animated version from the 80s was a more succinct adaptation that captured the spirit of the book more.

2.5/5

Theblazeuk

Finally caught the 2016 Ghostbusters. What was all that fuss about?! It was alright, had its moments. Deteriorated into a bit of a superhero movie at the end and the slow-mo badass fight scenes don't really work for me (or anyone, really, other than the assumption of what kids need from a movie I guess). The bad guy is decent and Chris Hemsworth's schtick gets a bit annoying, but I did like the ladies. The cameos never really added anything though. I still think they could have made a better movie with the same basic idea but with the Extreme Ghostbusters set-up of a new team learning from the old hands. Hell you could have got Winston to do it.

Grugz

the visit... started ok but soon became predictable

when animals dream...enjoyed this but it seemed to spiral quickly after a nice sedate mystery ,might have been better as a series...and would have liked some explaination of the situation.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Keef Monkey

Thanks to All Night Horror Madness I saw Miracle Mile for the first time at the weekend. It was the last film of the night (started at about 7am) and I'd been struggling to stay awake for a while by that point, but despite all that I was absolutely riveted throughout. Fantastic film, can't believe I'd never even heard of it. Such an odd, unique wee gem of a film. Now that I'm trying to look up more info on it I see Charlie Brooker has quoted it a couple of times as a Black Mirror influence, which makes a lot of sense. It also had a great Tangerine Dream score which I hadn't expected. Got to spend some time with Edgar when we worked with him on something and he was a really fascinating guy, so it's always nice to discover more of his music (he must have done hundreds of scores and they're all absolutely brilliant).

So that was the highlight, other films were The Fly (still amazing, and the people around me who clearly hadn't seen it and were horrified throughout were quite entertaining), Happy Birthday To Me (found this a total slog, one of those slasher movies that ties itself in knots trying to point suspicion at absolutely everyone and dragged and dragged, although the ending was fun), Night Train To Terror (one of those movies that's so inconcievably bad that I can't understand how it came to exist. According to wikipedia it's assembled from several unfinished films, which I can believe. There is an incredibly catchy musical number that repeats several times, and we had a good laugh at the film's ineptitude, so was an entertaining movie for sure), and Day of The Dead which even on an old scratched up print with the sound dropping in and out is still an incredible film, and probably still my favourite Romero movie.

So aye, a good night, but Miracle Mile was definitely the topper.

Magnetica

Moana.

Took my 5 and 6 year olds to see this today.

It's a bit of a dark theme for a kids movie IMO:[spoiler] Demi God steals the heart of an island which eventually poisons the sea and earth. [/spoiler]Plus throw in a big scary lava monster.

Ok fine....it is a PG and SWE4ANH which is a U has charred corpses in it.... but I wasn't excepting that from what has been described in some quarters as the "new Frozen".

Goaty

Finally see The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

What a mess.