Main Menu

star wars battlefront "leaked footage"

Started by Grugz, 19 August, 2014, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Professor Bear

I can never shake the notion that by the time you've hit your third decade it's probably an idea to have moved past playing Soldiers, so I'll probably not bother with this - but it really does look the biz.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 16 June, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
I can never shake the notion that by the time you've hit your third decade it's probably an idea to have moved past playing Soldiers, so I'll probably not bother with this - but it really does look the biz.

I'm on my 4th decade, and love it!!  :D

What's the alternative?  Eastenders?

Satanist

Well those shit 80's films aren't gonna watch themselves  :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 June, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
Quote from: Drinking Problem on 16 June, 2015, 01:35:39 PM

I'm on my 4th decade, and love it!!  :D

What's the alternative?  Eastenders?

...actually being soldiers?

I've met a few and really it doesn't seem as fun as BF.

shaolin_monkey

Based on my performance on Battlefield 4 so far, I reckon I'd make a good Stormtrooper - can't hit anything, and am immediately gunned down by the opposition.  ;)

Professor Bear

Oh hey, online multiplayer was fun for a bit back in the day, but after twenty minutes going in circles shooting things, I wanted a bit more involvement, not just better graphics or more balanced reload times.  As good as this looks, it's really nothing more than a fancy mod.

radiator

Horses for courses and all that.

Aside from split-screen GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark back in the day I've never really seen the appeal of competitive deathmatch gaming - and when gaming started getting more and more online multiplayer focused is where I started to tune out of the medium. I always saw multiplayer to be more of a nice bonus, not the main event, and I broadly agree that running round the same old levels over and over again gets dull very quickly. I was always more into the exploration/adventuring side of gaming, whereas deathmatch is more akin to team sports which I have zero interest in to begin with.

The other problem I have with online is that you basically have a dozen overpowered one-man-armies running and hopping around which leads to combat so ludicrously fast-paced and frenetic it breaks any sense of immersion for me - doubly so in something set in the Star Wars universe.

I'm sure there's a game out there more suited to my tastes, but I haven't really got the time to find it. Maybe one day.

shaolin_monkey

The good thing about the DICE multiplayer games is the squad dynamic. If you get a bunch of pals playing different classes squadding up you are unstoppable. I can't shoot for shit, but I can heal, revive and plant mines like the best of them, so when in a team of assault and engineer,that communicates well, gameplay takes on a whole new dimension.

Plus DICE are good at the semi-destructible environments, meaning you can change tactics on the fly, going through buildings instead of around them to avoid hotspots and choke points.

Finally, the sheer variety of vehicles generally available on each map, all with strengths and weaknesses, add to the fun.

Every DICE multiplayer game I've played, and in particular played squadded up with buddies, has been an absolute blast. I've been playing BF4 on and off for over a year now, and still ain't bored of it!

I'm hoping Star Wars Battlefront has all of the above, plus new dynamics through a variety of sci-fi style classes, plus with what looks to be a totally incredible Star Wars skin.

In summary, I am probably more excited about this game than I am the new film.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 16 June, 2015, 07:09:48 PM
Aside from split-screen GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark back in the day I've never really seen the appeal of competitive deathmatch gaming - and when gaming started getting more and more online multiplayer focused is where I started to tune out of the medium. I always saw multiplayer to be more of a nice bonus, not the main event, and I broadly agree that running round the same old levels over and over again gets dull very quickly. I was always more into the exploration/adventuring side of gaming, whereas deathmatch is more akin to team sports which I have zero interest in to begin with.

The other problem I have with online is that you basically have a dozen overpowered one-man-armies running and hopping around which leads to combat so ludicrously fast-paced and frenetic it breaks any sense of immersion for me - doubly so in something set in the Star Wars universe.

I'm sure there's a game out there more suited to my tastes, but I haven't really got the time to find it. Maybe one day.

My mind has been read!  Even down to the Goldeneye!

It does look pretty but it does look very frantic to the extent that I almost couldn't keep track of what was going on - and the Co-Op mode on Tatooine seemed completely unrealistic in terms of the number of enemy troops and vehicles being killed and destroyed.

If I did play it, I would imagine I would manage about a dozen 30 minute to one hour blasts on it before giving up and going back to Resident Evil where I can explore and sort out puzzles and engage in slighly more realistic unrealistic combat.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rog69

I'm really on the fence about this one.

On one hand it looks incredible but on the other it is an EA / Dice game so it will be buggy as hell on release and probably pushed out the door whether it's ready or not. Then there will be the cluster-fuck of DLC that will fragment the player base.

I'll probably wait until the price drops and it's been patched up a bit before buying.

shaolin_monkey

One thing that is almost guaranteed is that the servers won't be able to cope on day of release. That's happened with DICE in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 4. Considering how many extra copies will fly out the door because of the Star Wars skin, I can't see how it would be possible not to expect problems.

That ain't stopping me though getting it though. :D

Goaty

Dr Feeley Good