Main Menu

Judge Anderson's hotdog run

Started by Alec Worley, 07 July, 2016, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 July, 2016, 08:03:40 PM
I like that this thread comes up on the home screen as 'Judge Anderson's hot...'
I came he for Anderson hentai and was very disappointed!

JayzusB.Christ

I find it odd that we, the Mick, pronounce 'Joseph' differently from how you, the Brits, do.  We use an unvoiced 's' while you use a voiced one, which sounds like 'Jozeph' to me (I chose it for my confirmation name when I was wee, and it annoyed me when my English mother used the voiced 's').  I don't know how the Americans say it - I think it's more like the Irish way but I'm not sure.

I never really thought of Dredd's name as being a short form of 'Joseph' before they started using it in the prog - I suppose I thought of it as some kind of future linguistic evolutionary process where 'Joe' was a full name in its own right.  Utter bollocks, of course, but there you go.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 July, 2016, 08:20:19 PM
I'll confess to being baffled by the whole Joe/Joseph debate. Only a handful of people have ever call me James -- it's what's on my birth certificate; it's my given name. Ever since I was born, however, my parents called me Jim, because it's a legitimate contraction of the name. Likewise, Joe is a contraction of Joseph. My dad's given name was David, but everyone called him Dave. I have no idea why this is a difficult concept for people to grasp.

Good point, Jimmy.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 08:28:36 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 July, 2016, 08:03:40 PM
I like that this thread comes up on the home screen as 'Judge Anderson's hot...'
I came he for Anderson hentai and was very disappointed!

You're welcome.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

It's pronounced Slaaaaawwwwwwn-Yeh.

Dandontdare

I used to think it was illegal to be officially registered as a shortened name - if you were Joe, your birth certificate must have said Joseph, if you were Jim, you must be James etc.

Then my best mate had a baby and  decided to call him Joe E. (The E didn't stand for anything)  ::)

My mum hated the shortening of the names she'd given us, and would refuse to take phone calls from mates: "No there's nobody called Phil here ... we do have a Philip, would you like to speak to him?"

Apestrife

Quote from: Alec Worley on 08 July, 2016, 11:21:14 AM
Sorted. Cheers, all!
Couldn't find anything online and was worried I was missing something obvious.
P.S. It's aaaaaall canon, baby! ;)

So, what's the story, hot dog run glory? Cass meeting her mum out in the rad land?

The Adventurer

I feel like Psi Judges might not get the standard 'ride out into the Cursed Earth' Hotdog Run. Rather something more... Exotic?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 July, 2016, 08:30:38 PM
I never really thought of Dredd's name as being a short form of 'Joseph'

I never really thought Dredd had a forename.

Rico isn't Steve Rico, Kraken wasn't Paul Kraken, and nobody ever called Nimrod Dave. Why would a clone need a forename to distinguish them from other members of their family, when they have no family?

Joe's a blandly anonymous name applied to someone when their name doesn't matter - like Joe Public or Joe Bloggs. It's what other characters call Clint in that film where he plays The Man With No Name.

JOE SOAP

Being 2 of the the very first batch of clone 'originals', the tradition of first names still applied to Joe & Rico (I) Dredd.

Fungus

Quote from: The Adventurer on 08 July, 2016, 11:13:49 PM
I feel like Psi Judges might not get the standard 'ride out into the Cursed Earth' Hotdog Run. Rather something more... Exotic?

Well, this. It's not even their supernatural abilities, but do Psi judges go out on patrol, ever?

Anderson worked as a touchy-feely foil to Dredd in Judge Death, way back when. And through personal sacrifice, of course. Not something I've cared for since. Has a Psi judge ever fired a lawgiver?

Psi-Division is a hard sell, is all I'm saying.

maryanddavid

QuoteRico isn't Steve Rico, Kraken wasn't Paul Kraken, and nobody ever called Nimrod Dave.

How do we know, they were all relatively short lived characters, Paul Kraken has quiet a ring to it! 

Dredd has had the name Joe since sub Prog 100.

QuoteWhy would a clone need a forename to distinguish them from other members of their family, when they have no family?

To integrate the clones with their peers and have an obvious difference in the class would be  one, and Rico as a first name, well,

JOE SOAP

Quote from: maryanddavid on 09 July, 2016, 01:03:58 AM
QuoteRico isn't Steve Rico, Kraken wasn't Paul Kraken, and nobody ever called Nimrod Dave.

How do we know, they were all relatively short lived characters

As with Joe, Rico the first has been Rico Dredd since his intro in Prog 30, but the second Rico - what's his first-name?

Is he Rico Dredd or just Rico?

maryanddavid

JOE SOAP