Main Menu

Judge Anderson's hotdog run

Started by Alec Worley, 07 July, 2016, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Rico II is just Rico - he chose the name himself. Before that he was just the Texas City Dredd.

Although if he was Noel he'd be 'N. Rico'. And if he was Che he'd be 'Rico, Che'

Greg M.

I've always wanted to know what Judge Giant Jnr's first name is - he's not a clone, he definitely has one. (His surname, of course, is neither 'Giant' nor Clay, but Dormer.)

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 July, 2016, 07:31:55 AM
I've always wanted to know what Judge Giant Jnr's first name is - he's not a clone, he definitely has one. (His surname, of course, is neither 'Giant' nor Clay, but Dormer.)

I've always had the distinct impression that it was Cassius, based on no evidence whatsoever.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

It'd be fitting alright, with the original Giant being Clay. That or Ali. Ali G. has a certain ring to it.

It's interesting to think about how many judges don't have first names: Cal, for example,

Frank

Dummies. Giant Jr's name is revealed in the eponymous title of his debut; his name's Young*, like Jay Z:

* Although, as a fan of nominative determinism, I'd have gone for Angry McMumdead.

Looking at that page has made me realise why Al Ewing favoured Giant as replacement for a retired/dead Dredd. Unlike Dredd, Giant has the kind of origin story, inciting incident, and motivation fans of US comics demand.

Dredd's non-origin story - he was born, then graduated - has turned out to be more interesting, but having Giant running around emoting to himself 'gonna punish perps, LIKE THEY PUNISHED MY MOM!!!' is obviously a much easier sell for writers.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 July, 2016, 09:32:51 AM
It'd be fitting alright, with the original Giant being Clay. That or Ali. Ali G. has a certain ring to it.

It's interesting to think about how many judges don't have first names: Cal, for example,

It's Brian* Cal.

I don't think Barbara Hershey had a first name till around the mid-90s - it was hinted at during the election after McGruder stood down, but I can't remember when it was revealed in full.

*Also my name.  I've often felt it an unnecessary encumbrance.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 July, 2016, 11:29:35 AM
I don't think Barbara Hershey had a first name till around the mid-90s - it was hinted at during the election after McGruder stood down, but I can't remember when it was revealed in full.

Hershey gets her first name during 'The Harlequin's Dance' by Igor Goldkind in 1993.

Lobo Baggins

Cal, for example,

Now, I reckon Cal's first name is Quentin, after the haircut he sports for a while because Brian Bolland hadn't seen I, Claudius but he had seen The Naked Civil Servant.

Or maybe Guy, after Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus, aka Caligula.

Or Vin.  Or Hob.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 July, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 July, 2016, 11:29:35 AM

Hershey gets her first name during 'The Harlequin's Dance' by Igor Goldkind in 1993.

Named by a phone in poll in the Megazine, if I recall.  For some reason.

Greg M.

I never liked 'Barbara' as Hershey's first name - there was a lack of imagination in that choice. Why give her an identical name to a present-day famous person?

sheridan

Dash Decent

Just as PJ Maybe has a girl's name  for his middle name, Cal's given names were Anna Tommy.

Other contenders for his first name include Illogi, Psychopathi, Atypi, Ras, Diaboli or even Monomania.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

The first Rico was Rico Dredd. Rather annoyingly, some writers and artists have appeared to think that Rico is his surname, which defeats Pat Mills's purpose in creating the character: he's Joe Dredd's brother. They would have the same surname.

The second Rico was originally just called Dredd, with no first name. At the end of his first story, he changed it to Rico, which is his surname (and as far as we know, his only name. Unless he kept Dredd as a first name. Making him Dredd Rico. But probably not).

Bat King

Judge-Tutor Semple's first name is Hadrianus... i know you bwere dying to know. As to the version of Judge-Tutor Semple in Mike's novellas I don't know... (at Lawgiver the Simp is Simple Semple).

All natural born Judges obviously would have first names.  Writers just aren't obliged to tell us what they are.  It helps the dehumanising of Judges ton simply have Surnames.

I assume that clones still have first and last names. Especially as they no longer know they are clint's since the Dolman incident. This is confirmed with Jessica Paris (see Foreseen by Michael Carroll).

Plus... no Anderson's Hotdog Run hasn't been detailed. I can't recall it being mentioned.

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Frank

It's Mills's early story, where Rico refers to himself as Judge Dredd* and Mills christens Dredd 'Joe', that's the anomaly. Wagner had to incorporate Mills's misstep into official lore, but he hasn't repeated it.

In almost forty years of comics, Wagner hasn't given another clone a forename.

Dolman's a great example; not a judge anymore, but nobody - including Vienna, who always refers to Dredd as Uncle Joe - ever calls him Kevin. Clones don't get forenames **.

* The family name argument doesn't stack up. Rico's not Dredd's brother; they're both the same person - Eustace Fargo.

** EDIT for BatKing: was that detail about clones no longer being told their origins featured in an actual story? And was that explicitly because of Dolman?