Main Menu

Judge Anderson's hotdog run

Started by Alec Worley, 07 July, 2016, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

QuoteRico's not Dredd's brother

Yes they're both clones of Fargo, but in pretty much every story Rico I is in they are still referred to as brothers -- including in the Wagner story in which Rico II first appeared. Their social relationship overrides the biological reality. And I would suggest that the line "he ain't heavy -- he's my brother!" at the end of the prog 30 story works better than "he's my clone" would.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 09 July, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
I would suggest that the line "he ain't heavy -- he's my brother!" at the end of the prog 30 story works better than "he's my clone" would

ARF! Mills stories, for all they built much of what became essential to the strip, feature a lot of stuff that was excised as the strip found its identity - the death belt, Dredd having pals, and the female victim in The Man Who Drank The Blood Of Satanus being Dredd's squeeze.

As you point out, every artist who's drawn Rico since has given him a badge that says RICO - it would have been better if Dredd as a family name had gone the way of other early apocrypha, like Megacity PD and all judges gripping their forearm as support when they shoot.

Bat King

Quote from: Butch on 09 July, 2016, 07:07:33 PM

** EDIT for BatKing: was that detail about clones no longer being told their origins featured in an actual story? And was that explicitly because of Dolman?

Can't double check my memory as I'm away from my  Progs... pretty sure it is in Foreseen by Michael Carroll Progs 1830 to 1835.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Richard on 09 July, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
QuoteRico's not Dredd's brother

Yes they're both clones of Fargo, but in pretty much every story Rico I is in they are still referred to as brothers -- including in the Wagner story in which Rico II first appeared. Their social relationship overrides the biological reality. And I would suggest that the line "he ain't heavy -- he's my brother!" at the end of the prog 30 story works better than "he's my clone" would.

Unless the terminology changes, Joe and Rico Dredd are brothers, as cloning is a form of artificial asexual reproduction of a single parent - Fargo.  That also makes Kraken another brother, as well as quite a lot of the other Judda (the only one we know for sure is a Fargo clone is killed at the start of Oz).  Rico II, Dolman, Nimrod and at least nine others are actually cloned from Dredd (as Fargo's genetic material was stolen by Judd), which makes them siblings at least with Dredd as the father.

Dredd also gave birth to a Starborn Thing, but that probably doesn't count as part of the bloodline.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Frank

Quote from: Bat King on 09 July, 2016, 07:36:57 PM
Quote from: Butch on 09 July, 2016, 07:07:33 PM
** EDIT for BatKing: was that detail about clones no longer being told their origins featured in an actual story? And was that explicitly because of Dolman?

Can't double check my memory as I'm away from my  Progs... pretty sure it is in Foreseen by Michael Carroll Progs 1830 to 1835

Thanks, Bat King: The Forsaken, prog 1834. It's a weird fudge; Sorvino says clones aren't told anymore, but Dolman states that in this case Paris was told - the facts of her conception just weren't 'made public' (for some reason). 

Bat King

Justv noticed that my phone autocorrected Foresaken to Foreseen both times I typed it. Annoying much...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Butch on 07 July, 2016, 05:40:29 PMMatt Smith wrote an Anderson series for IDW, which gave the details of her birth as 2080, at Stoprams hospital (Sector 6).

Anderson's date of birth was first suggested HERE.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 July, 2016, 11:52:39 AMNow, I reckon Cal's first name is Quentin, after the haircut he sports for a while because Brian Bolland hadn't seen I, Claudius but he had seen The Naked Civil Servant.

Or maybe Guy, after Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus, aka Caligula.

T'was my thinking too when I dubbed him 'Guy Pascal' for some fan-wank I writed wayyyy back when I took my fan-wank seriously.

These days I'd probably call him 'Wuncallis Shugafree'.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.