Main Menu

A small curiosity about the slang

Started by freedonadd, 26 July, 2016, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freedonadd

(Hello fellow thrill-seekers, I'm not a native english speaker so I apologize in advance for any errors)
So, I've been reading Judge Dredd comics for quite a while now, but only recently I have come across charachters saying the phrase "Jovis Drokk!". I know that "Jovis" is a substitute for Jesus and "Drokk" is used as a substitute for profanity, but since in this case they're both nouns, how do they go together? Do they have a "special meaning" when put together?

James Stacey

Not really. I think its largely down to to what the author thinks sound cool. Drokk does seem to just be used as a substitute for 'fuck' and is used in the same manner, and Stomm is usually used as an analogue for 'shit'. Then you have the obvious Grud and Jovis and the lesser used 'Dokk' but by and large if it sounds cool, it works.

I, Cosh

To continue with James's replacement idea there, it wouldn't be unusual to hear a British person say something like "Jesus fuck!" which doesn't make any sense if you try to think of it as a phrase and couldn't really be translated but would be immediately understood as an expression of extreme annoyance or displeasure.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 July, 2016, 11:23:05 AM
it wouldn't be unusual to hear a British person say something like "Jesus fuck!" which doesn't make any sense if you try to think of it as a phrase

"Hulk smash!"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 July, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
it wouldn't be unusual to hear a British person say something like "Jesus fuck!" which doesn't make any sense if you try to think of it as a phrase

"Hulk smash!"

"Mongrel Smush"

I, Cosh

"Hulk smash!"
Ha ha! I stand corrected.
We never really die.

Tjm86

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 July, 2016, 12:14:24 PM

"Hulk smash!"

A1!

"Mongrel Smush"

freedonadd

Thanks everybody! I had always assumed that it meant something along the lines of "Jesus Christ!" (since, while obviously drokk is used as a placeholder to f*ck, it technically could refer to any kind of profanity, so in that iteration it could be intended as exclaiming "Christ!). I guess the authors sometimes just like to put together cool - sounding words, then.

Dandontdare

I've often wondered about "Grud on a Greenie" - a green what?

freedonadd

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 July, 2016, 01:32:29 PM
It probably has no anologue exclamation in today's language, I've always felt it as something between "Oh my god" and "Goddammit"

James Stacey

I've always taken a 'greenie' to be a cadet. No idea if that has any basis in the comic though.

credo

Quote from: James Stacey on 26 July, 2016, 01:38:01 PM
I've always taken a 'greenie' to be a cadet. No idea if that has any basis in the comic though.

I remember Tharg giving this exact response some time in the '90s. It's a great 'Christ on a bike!' analogue.

Dash Decent

Didn't we have Anderson use the longer "Grud on a green bicycle" at some point or did I imagine it?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dash Decent on 26 July, 2016, 03:15:39 PM
Didn't we have Anderson use the longer "Grud on a green bicycle" at some point or did I imagine it?

We'll only take your word on 'Dash Decent' recollections.

auxlen

QuoteIt's a great 'Christ on a bike!' analogue.

Beat me to it!