Main Menu

DC Films thread

Started by Goaty, 19 January, 2016, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Some of posters out today for The Dawn of the Justice League and Wonder Woman.

I find it bit bland.

Hawkmumbler

Those are prity ugly alright. Not at all interested at this point for either title.

Professor Bear

A fat Aquaman is a bold move, but I'm not sure about that glow-in-the-dark knob helmet of his.

Is this definitely official artwork, and not something someone grabbed off Deviantart?

Goaty

Yep it's official artwork. Bad artwork as Marvel always great.

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: blackmocco on 20 January, 2016, 06:41:21 AM
Wonder Woman footage looks shite. IMHO.

'Desaturate that shit, goddammit! We can't have colour in there -- people might think it's like a comic book!"

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Tiplodocus

To be fair, we aren't exactly seeing it from the "golden source" so it might look brighter in real life.

So when did it change from Dawn O' Justice to The Dawn of the Justice League?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 January, 2016, 08:48:38 AM
To be fair, we aren't exactly seeing it from the "golden source" so it might look brighter in real life.

If you scroll down, there's the actual video, rather than someone videoing the video, if you see what I mean.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I don't want to judge things too harshly at this stage, nobody's setting out to make a bad film.
Gadot certainly looks the part and Chris Pine will do fine as Steve Trevor I'm sure.

Dawn of Justice look a bit like a dogs dinner at the moment but it may come together - fingers crossed.

My main gripe, as others have mentioned, is the lack of colour. The colour schemes of these characters are almost all red, blue and yellow but you'd never know it from the artwork or trailers. This means there's nothing for the dark characters like Batman and presumably the villains to contrast against.

Professor Bear

They're all dark gritty angsty characters now.  Batman and Superman aren't fighting because they contrast: Batman is fighting Superman because he doesn't like other races coming to America and blowing up buildings and terrorising the populace, while Superman is fighting Batman because he doesn't believe in people taking the law into their own hands and so sets out to bring him to justice because the police can't.  Wonder Woman is there because exploding buildings and dead children attracted her to come and make sure everyone knows that Superman was acting in self defence when he blew up that building full of kids in the trailer, and that they had it coming because they had catapults, and that anyone not buying Superman merchandise anymore because of those buildings he blew up doesn't know the full story and thus is basically ignorant and stupid.

My theory about the Wonder Woman footage being so desaturated is twofold:
1 - in going to extremes in their portrayal of the character, they've made this version camper than the 1970s version, but don't have any self-awareness to offset that so they're doubling-down because as any successful DC comics executive knows, when you want out of a hole, you dig harder and faster.
2 - to make it look more like the works of Leni Riefenstahl.

blackmocco

The "no fun" mantra at WB/DC is in full view here. Rather than taking the Marvel route and simply treating it as a, y'know, property based on brightly colored comic books instead we get muddy, laborious, laughably serious renditions that really don't have any bearing on the characters they're supposed to be. I'm not saying it's easy to bring these characters to the big screen and do it properly, but it's clearly far easier to do it all wrong. Pathetic. If this footage was supposed to get me interested, it's had the opposite effect. It already looks like a rental. Assuming there's nothing better on that night.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 20 January, 2016, 11:32:34 AM
They're all dark gritty angsty characters now.  Batman and Superman aren't fighting because they contrast: Batman is fighting Superman because he doesn't like other races coming to America and blowing up buildings and terrorising the populace, while Superman is fighting Batman because he doesn't believe in people taking the law into their own hands and so sets out to bring him to justice because the police can't. 

Really, I think Batman has more of a point, he's only human! Superman is a outsider. It's kind of rude that he believes the other man doesn't have the right to do what Batman does when he isn't even from the same planet and he should be thankful the sun grants him those powers of his!

TordelBack

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 20 January, 2016, 11:32:34 AM
2 - to make it look more like the works of Leni Riefenstahl.

The Prof wins this thread. Must confess that I'm still looking forward to Wonder Woman, in the hopes it's a sort of Captain America affair, but with better legs (than Chris Whichevans, if not Hayley Atwell). The rest, blaaah blaaah blaaah.