Main Menu

DC Films thread

Started by Goaty, 19 January, 2016, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

There's a thing. They have a big fight. The thing gets sorted.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Banners on 20 January, 2016, 04:48:30 PM
There's a thing. They have a big fight. The thing gets sorted.
Now you see, that formula doesn't have to be boring. But DC haven't got that memo by the sounds of it.

Goaty

Wonder Woman The First Avenger trailer...

http://youtu.be/w7xdGWk9BV4

Colin YNWA

Looks a bit muddled but not bad.

TordelBack

Looks lovely, but for the love of crimminey, somebody smile.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 July, 2016, 11:21:13 PM

I tried, I even wanted to while watching this. But...no. Sorry to let you down. Again.
You may quote me on that.

COMMANDO FORCES

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 July, 2016, 02:21:24 AM
Quote from: Tordelback on 23 July, 2016, 11:21:13 PM

I tried, I even wanted to while watching this. But...no. Sorry to let you down. Again.
About as many laughs as a funeral.

Theblazeuk

Enjoyed neither trailer though Batfleck s'alright, really. Guess I just enjoyed that last shot with cyborg.

WW... meh.

Goaty

Oh dear.

An open letter to Warner Brothers about their films and DC films.

http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/an-open-letter-to-warner-bros-ceo-kevin-tsujihara-about-layoffs-zack-snyder-and-donuts.php

Also it said about Wonder Woman; People inside are already confirming it's another mess

Theblazeuk

So my BVS viewing was broken into halves, because I can only stay in the bath for so long and more interesting things occupy me when I'm not lying still in cozy warm water (god bless ipads). Probably not the best way to watch a movie but honestly, did wonders for my patience with that steaming wreck of a movie...

Realise I am far behind the times on this but I could all too readily believe what I'd heard based on Man of Steel and lo, it did not disappoint in terms of disappointment. The worst part is that I liked elements - you could easily make a good movie with some of the things they threw in there. Or at least if you got rid of MOS you could do (make Superman an actual hero first rather than primarily a scary alien for instance). But here, all those good moments and scenes are unearned. They play on the ideas of heroism and the World's Finest whilst pissing all over those themes immediately beforehand.

Really, the only good scene was Batman in the warehouse (not including his strafing run) and Wonder Woman for about 5 seconds. Everything else was disjointed, cheap, and gloomy.

I am properly irritated when I think back on all those idiots who cried it was some sort of Marvel fanboy conspiracy. I am a total DC fanboy or at least, pre-nu52 I was. I watch the World's Finest animation at least once a year. I know the names of Kal-El's extended family. And this isn't about who is an authentic fanboy but saying, no sir, this is not Superman and it's barely, barely Batman. But my favourite thing about Superman (and Batman) is that they save people. And my favourite thing about Lex Luthor is that he is clever and cynical and uses society as a shield - not that he's the Joker meets Lovecraft (incidentally, Lex has never been portrayed well on the big screen. All of his plans are suicidal and rubbish, beyond the megalomania of the comics).

Really, Snyder's DCU is objectively not good. Not good movies, not good for actual DC fanboys who like superheroes for more than just OTT action. Unlike Marvel they are entirely unable to take several comic book stories and thread the best bits together to make an interesting movie.

I want a Superman reboot already.

Professor Bear

CrazyFoxMachine

Goaty

Colin YNWA

Well there's no denying their sticking to their guns with the look and tone of that one then.

Though that last scene at the end seems to suggest the DCfilmverse is finally realising that all grimdark, all the time might not be the way to go with their 4 colour wonders.