Main Menu

Fraggle rock

Started by Grugz, 11 October, 2016, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Steve Green

I'm surprised there's anything there to get a remaster, I always thought it was shot on video rather than film.

I wonder if there's anything that could be done with The Storyteller, seem to recall that was a lot of paintbox type effects.

TordelBack

WHICH Fraggle Rock, though? We used to get two versions, the British one where Fraggle Rock is a literal rock on which a lighthouse and its keeper the Captain are perched, but also an American version where it was beneath an inventor's lab. It may have been a dream, but I think I saw one once where it was in/under a bakery... Given that these are the portals through which Uncle Travelling Mat enters 'our' world, I think this matters!

Were there others? A BBC NI one where the Trash Heap says 'No!'?

soggy

Seeing as it is on HBO I presume the American version. Anyway it never went away, TG4 showed it recently over here, as gaeilge, but that just adds to the fun. It didn't look in need of updating.

maryanddavid

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2016, 08:07:59 PM
WHICH Fraggle Rock, though? We used to get two versions, the British one where Fraggle Rock is a literal rock on which a lighthouse and its keeper the Captain are perched, but also an American version where it was beneath an inventor's lab. It may have been a dream, but I think I saw one once where it was in/under a bakery... Given that these are the portals through which Uncle Travelling Mat enters 'our' world, I think this matters!

WTF! A lighthouse?  Maybe I was stuck in two channel land and you had the benefit of the east coast.

I have seen it as gaeilge, and it was bizarrely well done. One of the odder things on TG4 was in a Justice League Cartoon, Supes says to Batman, 'Cad a tharla Batman'

Anyway, Storyteller was great.

NapalmKev

I remember Fraggle Rock being set under a lighthouse. The Guy was McKay from Porridge and his dog was called 'Sprocket' I believe.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Nah, it was set under a shed on an island NEAR a lighthouse, I seem to recall....

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 October, 2016, 01:29:38 PM
Nah, it was set under a shed on an island NEAR a lighthouse, I seem to recall....

Nope! The show used to start with one man and his Dug, then the camera would go down through the floor and into Fraggle Rock. Drugs were strong in those days!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

I swear to god the opening started with a sweeping view of the ocean narrowing in on a lighthouse on a small island, before shifting to a shed on said island and ducking into the Fraggle hole..

Pyroxian

We all agree that the theme song was awesome though, right?

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 October, 2016, 01:45:18 PM
I swear to god the opening started with a sweeping view of the ocean narrowing in on a lighthouse on a small island, before shifting to a shed on said island and ducking into the Fraggle hole..

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2xdvkwoNU

Depending on how old people are, they'll have different recollections of the intro - the original UK one is the above, as they did additional inserts to add to the US series and that was mid-80s. But I believe that those episodes ended up lost, so when they re-ran the series in the UK in the 90s it was the original US version that was shown. I remember being really confused by the presence of Doc (the US human), instead of the The Captain (the lighthouse keeper - Fulton Mackay) when I saw an episode years back.

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

CalHab

Quote from: NapalmKev on 12 October, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
I remember Fraggle Rock being set under a lighthouse. The Guy was McKay from Porridge and his dog was called 'Sprocket' I believe.

Cheers

Fulton Mackay, who was later replaced by John Gordon Sinclair (Gregory from Gregory's Girl).

James Stacey

The lighthouse isn't actually on an island at all either. It's St Anthonys Lighthouse down near St Mawes in Cornwall. When I went there a few years ago, as we drew close down the path a large sheepdog that didn't look totally unlike Sprocket ran out of it, which made us giggle.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 12 October, 2016, 02:20:57 PM
Fulton Mackay, who was later replaced by John Gordon Sinclair (Gregory from Gregory's Girl).

Who was then replaced by Simon O'Brien:

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Satanist

Did any other kids sing the alternate theme?

Down at Fraggle Rock,
Grab a Fraggle by the cock,
Swing it round your head,
Now the bastards dead!

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?