Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 November, 2015, 11:18:59 AM
I think what TS is trying to say is: "You know nothing, Wikipedia".

I respect the pedia, but it's always good to get few more opinions and then use common sense.
Yet, in that case, I don't have a clue, it's girl born over there. Can't really argue about stuff like. Yet, sometime people lie about their background.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 26 November, 2015, 07:14:49 PM

I respect the pedia, but it's always good to get few more opinions and then use common sense.
Yet, in that case, I don't have a clue, it's girl born over there. Can't really argue about stuff like. Yet, sometime people lie about their background.

And get supportive people to help.

TordelBack

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 27 November, 2015, 02:31:00 AM

Sorry TS lad, was just making one of my famously weak puns on Ygritte's catchphrase.

Hawkmumbler

The Lady in the Van is probably the winter highlight for anyone over the age of 60. And it's remarkably great, as Alan Bennett weaves another tale about himself but seeds it with such gusto it's quite delightfully twee at times. Maggie Smith raises her A-game (she really is a national treasure) and pull's off an all at once funny yet tragic portrail as the little old homeless Mary Shepherd. Worse ways to spend an hour and a half.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 27 November, 2015, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 27 November, 2015, 02:31:00 AM

Sorry TS lad, was just making one of my famously weak puns on Ygritte's catchphrase.

No problemo...... 

Wikipedia is a great source of knowledge, but some things written there need to be taken with a grain of salt or a second, third, fourth, fifth opinion.

I once put my own edit on the Slaine's entry on that site, by stating that Medb and her later alter ego were the same person or not Robym her dwarf servant or something like that. Now, I wonder if that was put the wrong way to cover a spoiler.

radiator

Brooklyn.

I was thoroughly entertained by this gentle crowdpleaser about a young Irish woman (Saoirse Ronan, in a cracking lead performance) making a new life for herself in 1950s New York. Also stars Dredd/The Force Awakens actor Domhnall Gleeson on fine form - and a great cast all round.

Some may find it a little too broad and sentimental for their tastes, but I thought it was a beautifully-presented, charming little film that didn't outstay a second of its welcome, and one that struck a particular chord with me and my girlfriend as we find ourselves feeling a bit torn between our new life in America and our friends and family back home.

5/5.

radiator

Spy.

Made it to about the 1 hour mark.

I'm aware she's quite a divisive figure, but I've never seen a Melissa McCarthy film before and will always have a soft spot for Paul Feig due to his work on Freaks and Geeks (which I adore), so I was totally open to giving this film a chance, but just found it desperately weak and unfunny tbh. Can't quite believe how many positive things I'd heard about it via various movie podcasts and it 93% on Rotten Tomatoes - i honestly thought it dire.

And it did nothing to change my opinion of Jason Statham - i can only assume that his continually being paid to appear in films is all part of some clever postmodern joke I'm not in on.

Doesn't bode well for Feig's Ghostbusters film.

von Boom

You are spot on about Spy rad. And the new Ghostbusters film.

Theblazeuk

Terminator Genesys: .................. what a load of ol' CENSORED.

Jurassic World: What a load of ol' - hey now they've stopped talking and just started running, this ain't so terrible.

radiator

Tangerine.

A low-budget indie that's starting to appear on loads of 'best of the year' lists and is mostly famous for (allegedly) being shot on an iPhone 5. The plot, such as it is, follows two transgender prostitutes as they traverse the seedy underbelly of LA, heading towards a confrontation with their pimp.

First off, I think there's quite a lot of bollocks being talked about this film. Many critics have called it an out and out 'comedy' and 'the funniest film of the year', which to me is utterly ludicrous. At most there's a handful of bleakly humorous moments throughout, certainly nothing to raise more than a half-smile. It belongs far more in the category of 'gritty urban melodrama' than anything related to comedy.

Secondly, it's a tough watch. The first 30-40 minutes of the film - which honestly consist of little more than people screeching at each other interspersed with stabs of the most obnoxious kind of sub-M.I.A. blaring electro hip hop - is grating, and at times nigh-on unwatchable. I almost gave up on the film completely but thankfully it switches gears around the halfway mark and there actually starts to be some semblance of a narrative to follow.

It has a certain raw freshness and a frenetic edginess, and features some very good performances from unknown (non?)actors but in all honesty is to me one of those films that could be cut down to a 20 minute short and be all the better for it. That it was shot on a phone, which no critic fails to mention, is an impressive achievement but it's ultimately irrelevant when judging the quality of the film itself. To call it one of the best films of the year seems more than a little over the top - I doubt anyone will be talking about it this time next year, let alone in five years time.

2/5

TordelBack

The Deep (2012).  Wowsers, what a great little film. A true story of survival (and its aftermath) that actually feels like a true story, despite being utterly astonishing.  Underplayed, beautifully shot, moving and thoughtful. Best thing I've watched in ages.

Satanist

Flash Gordon - This film should be utter pish but isn't. Bad acting, terrible dialogue and SFX which must have been poor even at the time. As a comedy though its fried gold.

And the soundtrack is still fantastic.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

The Other Guys

So funny and very enjoyable as watch it again.

Terry: Thank you Sheila!
Sheila: Goodnight!
Allen: Goodnight!
Terry: Thank you Sheila!
Sheila: Bye Terry!
Terry: Bye Sheila, I'll never forget tonight!
Allen: Bye Terry!
Terry: Alright Allen, whatever go inside. Bye Sheila!
Allen: See ya Terry!
Terry: Bye Sheila! 

Mardroid

Immortals

I got it into my head this would be a prequel or sidequal to 300, told from the Persians point of view. Their warriors were referred to as 'immortals' after all. It turns out to be about the Hero Theseus, faith, and a war between literal immortals gods and titans.[spoiler] And it refers to immortality in heroic deeds living on after a person's death.[/spoiler]

Not bad. A lot of scenes were too dark (literally in that you have to turn the lights out to make things out). A bit pretentious, maybe. [spoiler]The gods had rubbish outfits and the titans weren't very big.[/spoiler]

So not great, but it was different. (Not in the unpredictable sense, more the look of the film.)

ThryllSeekyr

Immortals was thinking of this one, but could recall the name when I saw the trailer for the new Gods of Egypt film.