Main Menu

Please help identify these old stories

Started by xtramirez, 07 October, 2015, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtramirez

I 'm writing down a small index of the stories that appeared in Greek comic anthology "Agori" (Boy). The Comicsuk forum has been very helpful but unable to help me with these two. I 'm searching for the English title and creators (artist and, if known, writer as well). The first one 's greek title is "The little pioneer" and the second one 's is "The motorcyclist typhoon" (or tornado might be more accurate)...

SuperSurfer

Could Nick Carter the Typhoon Motorcyclist be from an Italian comic? There is an Italian comic character who goes by that name and the story is set in northern Italy I can just about make out, though that might just be coincidence.   

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 October, 2015, 05:29:28 PM
Could Nick Carter the Typhoon Motorcyclist be from an Italian comic? There is an Italian comic character who goes by that name and the story is set in northern Italy I can just about make out, though that might just be coincidence.

The Italian Nick Carter is way more cartoony in style than those comics. There is a US private detective character who appeared in some comics but it doesn't appear to be him either.

Look at the detail on those waves in the first image, though. Brilliant.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 08 October, 2015, 08:37:27 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 October, 2015, 05:29:28 PM

The Italian Nick Carter is way more cartoony in style than those comics. There is a US private detective character who appeared in some comics but it doesn't appear to be him either.

Look at the detail on those waves in the first image, though. Brilliant.
Yes, Italian version very cartoony. I did wonder if he was linked to US version. Seem to be a few interpretations of a Nick Carter comic character.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1124953&GSub=103145
http://www.bedetheque.com/serie-36166-BD-Nick-Carter-Aredit.html

maryanddavid

The last page looks like a DCT page, but they usually had coding on the page that could identify the comic, unfortunately  nothing showing.

xtramirez

Maybe we 'll be luckier with this one. It 's about a team that keeps losing until a mysterious Mr X promises a 100 quid bonus for every goal a player of his choice scores. The greek title is "The miraculous bonus" and it lasted 16 episodes...

Richmond Clements

I asked a few folks on the Facebooks if they could help with this, and was directed to this conversation: http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6713&start=60

xtramirez

Boy, it 's been a long time since I visited this thread. I didn 't find the origins of the first two strips, but the football story was identified to be the "Give it to Gregory" strip from Score 'n' Roar magazine.

Now, there 's another story which may have been printed in 2000AD in late '80s but I cannot be certain. Its greek title is "The president 's man" and only lasted a few episodes. Some pages can be seen here and here, so please give a hint about which story it could be...

TordelBack

That would be the first series of Universal Soldier, by Alan McKenzie and the great Will Simpson, 2000AD Progs 537-543 (1987).

xtramirez

Thank you Tordelback. That was quick and spot-on.   :D   So I 'll risk another quest, only this time I 'm sure the story has nothing to do with 2000AD. The greek title is "I fought with Morgan the pirate" and I believe that the artist is Jim Bleach. My aim is to confirm the artist and find the original title, and the magazine it came from. Pages can be viewed here and here...

xtramirez

It appears that the "Pirate Morgan" strip had been printed in Hotspur magazine...