Main Menu

About Some Old Warhammer 40k Book.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 24 May, 2016, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

You know I stated on a recent post I recall seeing Pat Mills being credited for writing or at least collaborating in some way on one of the earlier editions of book about the Priests of the Imperial Guard fromWarhammer 40k.

They were featured in the Dawn of War - Winter Assault game. A single unit that looked a lot like a balding mature aged man in brown monk robes wielding a chain-sword. They had the Gandalf like ability to enflame the hearts of their ally's.

I just can't find any immediate clue or evidence of this book anywhere on the internet, now. I do remember seeing this book being offered on Ebay probably about 8 years ago and seeing the credit for Pat Mils or was that some joke?

Somebody here might know of a old codex...as they are called.

I can only find 4th and 5th edition books on the Imperial Guard it self and no individual books on those Priests. I thought they were called Tech-Priest, but that's some thing else.

GordonR

Pat's only Warhammer 40Jk contribution was - as far as I know - co-writing the Redeemer comic strip, which was about a religious fanatic priest in the universe's Necromunda setting.  It had a nice old skool Torquemada vibe about it, and some great art by Wayne Reynolds.  Pat had a co-writer on it because he wasn't confident about knowing enough about the Warhammer universe, so I doubt he wrote any rulebooks for them.

Perhaps this is what - in your usual cooky way - you're thinking of?

Early 40K certainly liberally helped itself to enough ideas from 2000AD. Especially Nemesis.

TordelBack

I looked into 2000AD creators working for GW a while back, and I believe that Gordon is right: the Redeemer comic is Pat's only official contribution, although I'd be fairly sure WH40K would have been something completely different without GW staffers being raised on Nemesis and Dredd.

GordonR

They probably produced a game miniature of the Redeemer character - they did, with several characters I created for them - with rules about how to incorporate him into the game, but Pat would have had nothing to do with that.  (And certainly wouldn't have seen any money from GW for it.  I sure didn't.)

Again, this may be the faint real story behind TS's vague info.

ThryllSeekyr

Thanks...yeah, that like the one, I remember yellows strikes design, but thought it was on the cover of the book and not the chain-sword.

Don't know why it thought it was the same priest unit from the Imperial Guard...except I might have been playing Winter Assault at that time and thought they were the same thing.

Was going to ask Pat himself on Facebook but not sure how to approach him there. About the question and other things on my mind. That is where my courage run out on me.

ThryllSeekyr

I guess with Pat Mills unfamiliarity with anything Warhammer, then doubt I can draw those parallels between 40k/Fantasy & Slaine if Orcs and Elves were the old gods? Judge Dredd. I just read the general description for what a Hive-World is. Last night while trying to find this book above. Not accusing anybody of infringement, but would think their game system could accommodate both together (Even in the same universe or at both ends of the time line!) and besides, they already did Judge Dredd game along way back.

I now have less than twenty minutes before Total Warhammer Fantasy install loads & is ready to play.....

Thanks guys

Theblazeuk

Loved Redeemer.

Almost as much as Zavant and his little halfling (or whatever they are called in WH) friend. Cheers for the stories GR! Made me miss Inferno all over again.

ThryllSeekyr

Now interested in Toxic.

I wonder if they still have old issues of that one even though it got cancelled. Some interesting head liners there.