Main Menu

Need to upgrade grapihics card, help please

Started by Radbacker, 25 July, 2016, 01:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

Okay I stupidly purchased Total War Warhammer the other day on steam and after being a complete noob and spending 2 days trying to get it to work I discovered my graphics card isn't Direct X11 compatible (I know pretty dumb error).
I currently have a Nvidia GTX280, main processor is a I7 860 2.8GHZ, running Windows 7 Premium.  I only really want to upgrade my Graphics card as I don't really have much dosh at the moment, I want to spend about A$100 - 150 I can see a couple of GTX750's about that price but being a PC luddite (I'm generally more a console gamer to avoid these issues) I'm not really sure how compatible it'll be with my computer, I do know my I7 is a 1st gen its about 6 or so years old so it runs on the old style pin set up, will I de able to just pull out my GTX280 and put in a GTX750 easily? 
I know the GTX750 is Direct X11 compatible so I will be able to run Warhammer but do you think it'll run alright without also having to upgrade the processor (which would also mean a new Motherboard!!)

Any help from someone more PC knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated.

CU Radbacker

Theblazeuk

Can you run this https://www.piriform.com/speccy and post?

I am not a pro or anything but I know the basics. Sadly my suspicion is that a GFX card will not be enough to let you run Total Warhammer but I couldn't be sure. I do know that you won't need a new motherboard just to replace the GFX card as it's the same slot - but I think the big question will be your CPU's ability.

The Minimum requirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz/ AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz I think you are falling short here. An i7 supposedly runs more efficiently so more bang per hertz as it were, but it falls .2 ghz short of the minimum and yours is a 1st gen iteration of the chipset.....
Memory: 3 GB RAM Guessing you're at 4gb?

I would maybe return the game to Steam for now...

Radbacker

I have 8 gig on board (PC was originally purchased as a Multimedia machine) wouldn't think .2ghz difference would be a big problem if you put in a powerful enough Graphics card in it
:( says I cant download no support, I'm guessing my chip is the problem here too then, didn't know Steam had a returns policy looks like might have to don't think I can upgrade my main processor at the moment :(
this makes me sad, oh well at least I can still run MechWarrior Online.

Cu Radbacker

Theblazeuk

Yeah I don't think .2ghz will be a problem either, particularly as from what I gather ghz is a bit flexible in terms of abstract vs reality.

I'd get the new GFX card as honestly your rig seems perfectly fine (better than mine in some crucial ways). DX11 has been around since 2008 :-\ so I'm sure you can pick up something pretty cheap. Plus as long as it fits in your case and you've got a relatively robust Power Supply Unit, you'll be able to use your GFX card down the line if you ever upgrade the motherboard. And this does seem to be the real obstacle.

Also - just checked your CPU and unluckily, it's a 1156 chipset. Which means your Motherboard is 1156, which means you can't use those shiny 1151/etc CPUs which would give you more options for up-to-date tech. I believe the cheaper options on the 1151 would outperform most of the expensive options on the 1156. So yeah, you'll have to upgrade your motherboard + CPU.

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy if you couldn't download it.

Sorry for not replying earlier I didn't see you'd posted :( If you would like better advice from people who might actually know what they are talking about I recommend https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/