I've posted these before, but here they are again for anyone who missed them:

Bazooka Joe

The Lawmaster makes an appearance in the Eagle strip Computer Warrior

Ursula K

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 September, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2014, 07:13:56 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 20 September, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2014, 02:32:22 PM
Poor Charlotte Coleman, such a short life.

Instant happy n sad when I see images of Marmalade Atkins. :) :(

That was exactly my reaction.  I sometimes catch sight of her sister Lisa on Tracy Beaker, and think for a second that it's her.

Oh man, I had no idea! I just googled to see what you were on about . Now I am sad too. A horrible way to go too - I almost died of the same thing when I was 19.
Holy crap. I never knew she had passed. Her role (and the whole story) in Oranges are Not the Only Fruit had such a great impact on me when I was a teen.  :(

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 September, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2014, 07:13:56 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 20 September, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2014, 02:32:22 PM
Poor Charlotte Coleman, such a short life.
Instant happy n sad when I see images of Marmalade Atkins. :) :(
That was exactly my reaction.  I sometimes catch sight of her sister Lisa on Tracy Beaker, and think for a second that it's her.
Oh man, I had no idea! I just googled to see what you were on about . Now I am sad too. A horrible way to go too - I almost died of the same thing when I was 19.

Same here, with bittersweet feelings when I saw that post, made even more sobering for me as I have asthma too and in that I live ten minutes walk from the school she went to (and spent a few months in the hospital in which she was pronounced dead).

sheridan

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 21 September, 2014, 07:22:12 PM

Also - never forget Princess Bride... look at the shirt draped on the chair!

I knew it!  I was watching that film the other day and spent every moment of the grandfather and grandson moments trying to spot the JD (as I'd remembered noticing it in the cinema when it was released) - I couldn't remember if it was a poster or a Tshirt though and didn't see it.

Dash Decent

I can't recall reading Computer Warrior, but is Zak McKracken meant to be the guy from the old LucasArts C64/SCUMM engine game, "Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders"?  I don't imagine there are two of them but I'm surprised to see him in another story.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 September, 2014, 04:58:09 PM
I've posted these before, but here they are again for anyone who missed them:

Just bumping this after a conversation in the pub (Southern Contingent) where I thought Dennis the Menace had featured Dredd (until we realised Dennis is published by Not-IPC).

M.I.K.

Quote from: Dash Decent on 02 May, 2015, 10:35:16 AM
I can't recall reading Computer Warrior, but is Zak McKracken meant to be the guy from the old LucasArts C64/SCUMM engine game, "Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders"?  I don't imagine there are two of them but I'm surprised to see him in another story.

Yes. I think there was some sort of deal with US Gold. A lot of games they distributed over here got used in the strip.

Zanti Misfit

There's a brief glimpse of what looks like the back cover of a Xmas prog in the film Xtro (bizarre 80's sci fi/horror flick). About 47 mins in, if anyone wants to check this out.

Hawkmumbler

I must have seen Xtro about half a dozen time's (I love it! Awesome little under rated film) but never spotted that. Looks like an excuse for another viewing.

Zanti Misfit

Xtro: what a weird, wonderful film. (though I've never seen any of the sequels).

Bazooka Joe

Quote from: Zanti Misfit on 03 May, 2015, 06:31:10 AM
There's a brief glimpse of what looks like the back cover of a Xmas prog in the film Xtro (bizarre 80's sci fi/horror flick). About 47 mins in, if anyone wants to check this out.

I just had a look, it's the back of prog 192. Well spotted!

Richmond Clements

In the movie Robot Overlords a couple of the characters are reading the prog.

JayzusB.Christ

Oink comic featured a Dredd spoof strip called 'Judge Pigg' once.  Wish I could find it.  Also I remember an old Zig and Zag (are they known outside of Ireland at all?) book with a 'Judge Zag' strip in it, which was very funny in that it simply quoted Dredd word-for-word instead of adding any clever twist ('Drokk! It's the iso-cubes for you, creep!).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 May, 2015, 10:17:38 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 02 May, 2015, 10:35:16 AM

Yes. I think there was some sort of deal with US Gold. A lot of games they distributed over here got used in the strip.

For those who haven't read it - Wikipedia has a pretty good description (and the Zak game was indeed one of them):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Warrior

Whatever happened to that writer?