Main Menu

rebellion to reprint MISTY

Started by rogue69, 06 November, 2015, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: rogue69 on 13 November, 2015, 02:35:20 PM
[I am happy to say there will be another announcement shortly about another non-2000 AD collection, so keep a look out for that. Naturally when we look at material and consider if we can publish successfully, existing links with 2000 AD makes that task easier.]

Should be interesting to see what else they are trying to release

Sweeny Toddler and a complete collection of Bad Time Bedtime Stories!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: rogue69 on 13 November, 2015, 02:35:20 PM
[I am happy to say there will be another announcement shortly about another non-2000 AD collection, so keep a look out for that. Naturally when we look at material and consider if we can publish successfully, existing links with 2000 AD makes that task easier.]

Should be interesting to see what else they are trying to release

Please oh please with a styrofoam cup on top, Your Green Munificence, please be a bumper book of Ken Reid.

Failing that either Mind Wars, The Angry Planet or 80s Eagle Dan Dare would be tops.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Bojay1997

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has there been any update about this?  I believe the original media release talked about a September 2016 release, but the 2000ad trade and hardcover releases through January 2017 seem to be listed on Amazon and elsewhere and I'm not seeing any Misty material listed anywhere. 

AlexF

And while we're dredging up (slightly) old stuff, I'd like to add my voice to the crowd that wants to see new lettering in reprints of Misty and similar comics. The original type-set stuff looks horrible, just horrible, and it's not as if it's easier to read. Of course, I can see that the actual market for this material is probably not large enough to justify paying for a pro to do all that re-lettering. And I can well believe some buyers might be upset because there has been any change at all.

Good lettering matters!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 07 April, 2016, 09:06:09 AM
And while we're dredging up (slightly) old stuff, I'd like to add my voice to the crowd that wants to see new lettering in reprints of Misty and similar comics. The original type-set stuff looks horrible, just horrible, and it's not as if it's easier to read. Of course, I can see that the actual market for this material is probably not large enough to justify paying for a pro to do all that re-lettering. And I can well believe some buyers might be upset because there has been any change at all.

Good lettering matters!

Are you listening, Tharg? :-)

(Seriously, I'd be more than happy to tackle a Hookjaw-style re-lettering* of this material. I even do a creditable digital 'homage' to Tom Frame's classic style that would probably work a treat...)

Cheers!

Jim

*Which involved actually removing the original lettering entirely, rather than just trying to plonk new balloons over the existing ones.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

I don't think poor lettering would be a barrier to kids reading these stories - the lettering in the Phoenix YES IT'S STILL GOING is often atrocious to the point that some of the fan art they get from kids has done a better job.  It's so bad - and I swear this is true - they even have their own Tharg-like vulture in a fur coat who has his own section in the comic discussing the lettering mistakes and educating the readers in how the comic's creators should have done it properly, the last such instance that I recall being the vulture lecturing an underling on the differences between vocative commas and appositive phrasing.

I have my suspicions this vulture may actually be real and used to work for the Guardian.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 07 April, 2016, 10:12:37 AM
I don't think poor lettering would be a barrier to kids reading these stories

SHHHHHH.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

A Skype call from BBC Radio Four's Front Row programme forces The Guvnor to take a break from mistreating donkeys and working on his tan long enough to plug the Misty collection:

Grange Hill becomes Strange Hill (skip to the last 5 minutes)

Dandontdare

Sounded a bit like they'd just edited in a couple of snippets from one of Pat's long rambles, rather than him actually participating in a group conversation.

IndigoPrime

If it's anything like the BBC stuff I've done, these things are brutally edited. I once did a 20-minute interview that was hacked down to two or three.

AlexF

I was super excited to receive a copy of Misty as part of a goody bag from winning one of the 'covers of the year' sections in the Thrill Mail.

I've never read any Misty before and what's in here is great - except for that damn lettering (which is uncredited, probably rightly so)! In his intro, Pat Mills says the comic would've survived if he'd stayed on it and given it the love he gave to 2000AD, but I'm not sure anything could survive those text boxes.

I'm curious about the repeated tactic of using the basic story hook of an 18 film that children of the day wouldn't have been able to see. IN this case, Moonchild = Carrie (as Mills points out himself). At the time it's a great way to make inaccessible but popular material avialable to children. I guess there's no equivalent now as anyone can see/read pretty much anything if they really want to, age restrictions be damned.

Anyway, more Misty, please!

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 September, 2016, 07:58:38 AM
Sounded a bit like they'd just edited in a couple of snippets from one of Pat's long rambles, rather than him actually participating in a group conversation.

Given Pat's views on the BBC, some poor production assistant probably had to take the scissors to fifteen minutes of material on Jimmy Savile and the invasion of Iraq just to get the soundbites they used.