Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 November, 2015, 03:48:02 PM
Yeah, I was very disappointed by HG3, having bordered on the evangelical regarding the first two.  I kept waiting for something  that wasn't stupid to happen, or for a glint of the social satire or visual flair of earlier instalments. Instead there's the odd shot of massed ranks of suicide bombers emulating the game Lemmings, thatbbit from Rambo 3 with the helicopter, and two massive aerial bombardments that happen entirley off screeen. Terrible shame.

When you do see the final film, there's an obvious point where Mockingjay Pt.1 should end and Pt.2 begin, but, if they dropped the filler material from both there's a better film to be had by smushing the two together.

The Legendary Shark

That new Mad Max film.
A good middle and a strong ending but a crap start and a foolish antagonist. The film looks brilliant but the titular character is woefully underused, especially in that crap beginning.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

Still haven't got round to Hunger Games: Mockingjay parts 1 or 2, despite really liking the first two, main reason being I just didn't like the third book anywhere near as much as the first two so can't find the motivation.

As for The Guest, surprised to see it criticised for taking itself too seriously, I felt it was well aware it was a fun romp and thought the humour camed through strongly throughout.

Had a long flight earlier in the week (on me honeymoon!) so on the in-flight entertainment watched Fantastic Four. Thought it was quite dull and lacking in zing, but nowhere near as bad as reports suggested. Until the mid point at least, where another film seems to have been tacked onto it. The fight scene is ludicrous too, they really haven't thought of any meaningful ways for the powers to be used.

Went on the Doctor Doom ride at Universal yesterday which was way more exciting.

Also on the flight watched Spy, which had a couple of very decent laughs and a whole lot of that quite awkward ad libbing where you sense the script didn't include the jokes so the cast had to try and find some. The good laughs were indeed good laughs though. Was quite surprised to see the C word censored on the flight version, considering it was age restricted and a great deal of other swearing was intact.

ThryllSeekyr

My father was watching old black white films all day yesterday and some of them were interesting.

I think some of them were interesting, partically one about the children of war who were still suffering after it had ended and they had to looked after. Some of them still had homes to go to.

Aside from that one,  I didn't bother to spend more than a few seconds watching any more until a old , but coloured film set in the American-West called Geronimo.....

Starring the late Chuck Connors wearing a very good wig obviously.

And guess who he reminds me of here?

Except the hair style, but it's strange the people like Mohigans (And perhaps other like them!) may be otherwise were well known for doing very similar stuff with there hair. Like the Celts or at least cut their hair like some street people of over the last decade....

I know this is such a small detail though...because this fellow might have been the perfect MacMahon - Slaine in those days.

Or a very good Conan the Cimmerian.....

Sure, he doesn't have the musculature of Arnie, yet he had the right foundation for it.

Pity he's gone and there doesn't appear to be nay like him.

Before I continue any more.......can mod fix this forum ....I can't get all my images to appear and this appears to be more to do with blocking or some of type of meddling on this part.

Tiplodocus

Matthew Bourne's SLEEPING BEAUTY at the Theatre Royal, Glasgow.

I decided to treat the missus to something other than an explosion filled movie for date night so booked this but really wasn't looking forward to it.

It was fucking great. Chock full of gorgeous visuals (and visual story telling) and great music and fantastic dancing. I really want to see more now.

Almost as good as Fury Road.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

Nowt new, but a couple of recent Blu-ray purchases have allowed me to re-acquaint myself with some old faves.

Dr Terror's House of Horror (1965). As much as I love Hammer, and I do, you just cant beat those Amicus portmanteau films. Excellent.

And Donnie Darko (2001). Such a great film. Both versions are present on this release, and the theatrical cut got aired tonight. Bliss.

ThryllSeekyr

Is there a Moderator that still likes me enough to fix my last comments here. The images aren't working for me there...not completely.

ThryllSeekyr

Now is the time to talk about....

Crimson-Peaking is just great. I was very impressed, but also found it very unsettling in some parts. For personal reason and I know saw this film just about month ago now on the Monday.

I thought this would be some femme version of the Mountains of Madness yet, this Mexican director who's escapes me right now. Yet, he hasn't succumbed to female peer pressure completely and got into this film more than I thought I would and more so if I didn't take two toilet breaks during this viewing.

I think I missed something important and won't go on anymore about it.

Parting thoughts of this film.....

That red-orange clay that only reminds me of the red orange clay that can be resourced in Clock-Work-Empires. Now I wonder if that's really of the ground bleeding.

Back to the Last-Witch-Fighter After success fully getting all time top score in The Witcher Three - Wild Hunt. Vin Diesel/Kaulder, a young man living alone with his father Michael Cain/Dolan the 36th and younger brother Elijah Wood/Dolan the 37th in trailer park in one of the many back woods settings of the New York is visited by a strange man in a space-craft that looks a lot like a backwardly-upgraded Delorean that takes him back in time to 1955 where he marries his own mother....

Not really... but some of characters in this film wouldn't look pout of place in a film based on Slaine. There is bit of Irish and a bit of Norwegian and there is bit of a scene towards the beginning where he stabs a the Witch-Queen, through the heart and send her clawing back to El-Worlds (That's how I should have imagined El-Worlds too!) that spawned her and he doesn't really play that or any video game of any type either and isn't closely blood related to the two Dolans either, who aren't related to each other themselves.  Dolans???? are some type of secret order or priests (I assumed there might be another 35 Dolans and isn't that the surname of Brandon Routh's take on John Constantine and a another terrible film at that!) that look after and commission Vaulder (Or vice-versa!) a ageless Witch-Hunter who hails from a much earlier time because this Witch-Queen cursed him with immortality. Yep, what I way to suffer, must be horribly dull to never die and see the world progress at snails pace along side himself.

Maybe.... he just thinks that he is the Witch-Hunter and the Dolans are a long line of con-artists who fooled Smaulder that his is this immortal warrior when he really is some city vagrant in the right place at the right time playing some virtual reality Witch-Hunter game in a Irish pub run some lass that reminds me of the more Celtic version of Emma Watson and he does just that. This is the best way to experience virtual immortality and time-travel without actually do it.

Where some drug-addled gypsy is victimised and brain-washed into thinking she is some long dead queen of the witches and really just puppets of these team of cons who do this this more to entertain and see onlookers part with their wealth for the good show they put on.

[spoiler]Meanwhile, Elijah Dolan double cross's the other two in circumstances that I would give away here, expect that I knew it all along myself. Because his story of being rescued from being burnt down by a coven  sounds so much like the Bride of Crom that I assumed him to be Mebd in disguise and they both come to their demise towards the end of the film. [/spoiler]

Can't say any more except that Vin Deisel doesn't wear the long hair-top-knot and beard so well like he did in the second Riddick film.

I may have more to say about this, but can't think of anything for the life of me except that saw.....

A Girl Guide's Goes to the Zombie Apocalypse how I found the ending to that is so much like the end of Slaine - Tomb of Terror and my new theories about zombies in general  and how that also relates to Slaine

Yet, next time

ThryllSeekyr

Rose Leslie

Sound more like a Scottish girl than Irish (That sound really important too, unless the Wiki is a lie!)...as I said above!

Looks more like Isla Fisher......

Than Emma Watson....

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 24 November, 2015, 11:49:11 PM
Rose Leslie

Sound more like a Scottish girl than Irish

That might be because she is Scottish.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

ThryllSeekyr

Yeah, I wrote that incorrectly. I really meant that it reads that she is Scottish in her bio in her official wiki.

So, I assume she might be as well....yet, those things aren't always accurate.

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

TordelBack

I think what TS is trying to say is: "You know nothing, Wikipedia".

Professor Bear

It's "Scotch", not "Scottish".  They hate it when you get that wrong.

Spikes

The ginger hair and freckles was the give away.