Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: pops1983 on 18 November, 2012, 06:19:46 PM

Words eh? I'll never believe another film review again having read this classic!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

vzzbux

Finally watched GI Joe over the weekend. Bitterly dissapointed. Far too many Star Wars reference scenes in it for my liking.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

The Wolfman (2010).  That was splendid!  A movie with the courage of its considerable convictions.  A loving faithful mix of the original and elements of many of its successors, with a healthy dose of the Coppola Dracula for good measure.  Maybe a tad overlong, but gory, melodramatic and very satisfying nonetheless.  Arrooooooo! 

Goaty

RED

Just watch my parents blu-ray of it, they like Bruce Willis films...

Oh my... our Karl IS THE DREDD! as when he stand in the middle of street with all police cars arrive, camera went around his face... and oh my, hello Dredd!

And it's good and crazy film lol

Charlie boy

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 November, 2012, 11:05:20 PM
The Wolfman (2010).  That was splendid!  A movie with the courage of its considerable convictions.  A loving faithful mix of the original and elements of many of its successors, with a healthy dose of the Coppola Dracula for good measure.  Maybe a tad overlong, but gory, melodramatic and very satisfying nonetheless.  Arrooooooo! 
Yeah thought it was a bit of silly, harmless fun. The end got a little too much WOLF and AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON inspired tho. You made me (unintentionally, maybe?) chuckle by taking the time to put Coppola instead of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
"I have crossed oceans of time to be with you..."
Seriously, that was ridiculously far from Stoker's Dracula!

Emp

It was a bit of fun...and now sits in my shelf in the area of "might watch again if there is nothing else".....not quite made it into "let's never talk of it again"

Frank

Seraphim Falls (still available for two more days on iplayer), a proper old school cowboy film which plays like a potted history of the genre. It starts in the middle of the action, with the posse pursuit of Butch Cassidy leading into the wilderness survival of Jeremiah Johnson, before heading off into Josie Wales and Dollars territory, then resolves itself in the badlands of Unforgiven and El Topo.

Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan both look like they were born to wear wide brim hats and ride horses - which is something the casting directors of modern day westerns don't always seem to understand the importance of - and it wisely saves the metaphorical nonsense all cowboy films have to indulge in to some extent for the finalé. Until the last reel, it's all bullets dug out of flesh with knives, running into a succession of untrustworthy strangers, horses being gutted like Tauntauns, and a simple revenge story driving the film toward its conclusion.

Daveycandlish

Saw The Wolfman last night too. Del Toro didn't have much to do as Larry Talbot other than make sad eyes at Emily Blunt (who is always watchable, as is Hugo Weaving as the Inspector) but oh my, Anthony Hopkins just seemed to sleep walk through his role as the father. And when you've got one of the best latex guys in the business doing the werewolf effects why bother CGI-ing it up?

I think I shall have to go and watch Lon Chaney Jr and Claude Raines in the original version now - it's much better.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing

I dont know if the original IS better, to be honest. While i love Chaney Jnr's Larry, and BITS of his Wolf Man are briliant and powerful even now, much of it is slow and stilted. I think Universal did a fantastic job with the remake- it drops the ball with the ridiculous Anthony Hopkins plot and the final battle is as crap and stupid as that godawful Jack Nicholson thing with the jumping wolves- but for the most part it looks right, feels right and is full of wonderful setpieces that stay with you long after it's over. The medical theatre transformation scene, the gypsy camp and hunt in the stone circle, are all as good a werewolf sequence as you'll find anywhere. Del Toro does a bang-up job channelling Chaney Jnr, and the more i see this the more i grow fonder and fonder of it. It does lots wrong, and is hugely bloated and overlong as all movies are now, but if you accept all that, i dont think there's been a better hollywood horror film in the last ten years.

SBT

NapalmKev

The Big Labowski: seen this many times and it still makes me laugh. Jeff Bridges plays the part of jobless/stoned bum very well indeed, and the script is excellent. Great film!

"We are nihilists, we believe in nothing! Give us the money!"  Hilarious.

cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

radiator

Super 8.

Very disappointing, im sad to say. Glad I didn't buy the Blu Ray. A pastiche of 1980s Amblin movies that for some reason or other never quite hangs together the way the creators intended.
There's too many underdeveloped characters and there's a weird disconnect between the 1980s aesthetic and the 2010s pacing.

Some nice moments but overall the script felt a little undercooked and could have done with a lot more tightening up.

For my money Attack the Block covered the same ground far more successfully.

Spikes

Dawn of the Dead - 1978 last night, in its extended cut, on BBC2
Marvellous.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 25 November, 2012, 08:27:26 AM
Saw The Wolfman last night too. Del Toro didn't have much to do as Larry Talbot other than make sad eyes at Emily Blunt (who is always watchable, as is Hugo Weaving as the Inspector) but oh my, Anthony Hopkins just seemed to sleep walk through his role as the father. And when you've got one of the best latex guys in the business doing the werewolf effects why bother CGI-ing it up?
I think I shall have to go and watch Lon Chaney Jr and Claude Raines in the original version now - it's much better.
I'm with you that the original is much better but the Del Toro Wolfman is fun because it's silly; terrible CGI throughout and predictable, but sometimes you just have to watch a film like that. I've forgotten most of it already although I do remember thinking really early on in the film it would have been a much better 12A for the youngsters if the director hadn't insisted on in-your-face gruesome shots to try and dress it up as a movie for slightly older viewers.

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 November, 2012, 09:57:55 AMThe medical theatre transformation scene, the gypsy camp and hunt in the stone circle, are all as good a werewolf sequence as you'll find anywhere.

Yes indeed, the transformation in the chair was great, as was the American Werewolf shoot-out in London, and the kid in the cave was top-notch freaky too.  Yes, is very silly and the end is a bit flat and drawn out, but there's some great stuff in there and I thought it was one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a while.  And oh hell I'm agreeing with SBT about a film, must be time to up my medication. 

SmallBlueThing

Excuse me, "terrible cgi throughout"? I am literally boggling at that! The effects in TWM are BEAUTIFUL!

SBT