Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

Just read Clean Room by Gail Simone and drawn by Jon Davis-Hunt.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 20 April, 2016, 01:00:29 PM
Just read Clean Room by Gail Simone and drawn by Jon Davis-Hunt.
How is it? Love Simone as a human but find her body of work wildly inconsistent.

Old Tankie

I'm really enjoying it, plenty of horror with some great twists to the story, Simone is at the top of her game on this and I think JDH has really come on a lot with his art in this book.

Tiplodocus

STALINGRAD by Antony Beevor

As recommended on here and on the Thrillcast by Garth Ennis and purchased from a charity shop by my wife for Christmas.

Bloody hell! I'm about a hundred pages in and the Paulus' Sixth Army and Hube's Panzers have just arrived at Stalingrad but it's already grim reading. 

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge.

Cheese that lets you see the future; Wine that helps you both forget AND remember; An underground city where facial expressions are learned by rote and chosen at will; it's good. Mieville-lite but twice as readable.

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 May, 2016, 01:18:11 PM
STALINGRAD by Antony Beevor

As recommended on here and on the Thrillcast by Garth Ennis and purchased from a charity shop by my wife for Christmas.

Bloody hell! I'm about a hundred pages in and the Paulus' Sixth Army and Hube's Panzers have just arrived at Stalingrad but it's already grim reading.

It's a fantastic read. Probably the best I've read about the subject. Only my grandfather's (Soviet) stories were more chilling.

TordelBack

Beevor is really remarkably good at spinning a convincing, enthralling narrative. I know the subject itself is fascinating, but he does a great job of making you appreciate the vast complexity and confusion of events, while still keeping you clear on what is going on and why. A serious talent.

moly

Divinity 2 great read, trying to find the first run of divinity now

Colin YNWA

Just finished a re-read of Brubaker and Phillips' Fatale and I almost started a thread for the pair, but decided that pestering here was probably enough. Its bloomin' great and more than anything made me wish my re-read of The Fade Out
was coming sooner. Like all the best comices this nice little cthulhu noir leaves you immediately wanting to go back and read it again as you know there's more to dig out. It had me fishing back in its dark oceans at the end trying to work it all out. I have a story in my head but figure on subsequent reads that might change.

We'll see cos I'll defo be reading it again somewhere down the line.

Theblazeuk

I dropped off around book 2 and haven't picked it back up again yet, but yes Fatale is good stuff. I'll have to pick it back up again I think.

Rately

Just finished the first volume of Criminal by Brubaker and Phillips.

Absolutely loved it and have the rest of the volumes all lined up to be read on my kindle. Got each volume for £2.99 on Comixology.

Colin YNWA

Could have sworn there was a 'Star Wars Comics' thread or similar around these parts, but for the life of me can't find it so this will do.

Just finished the first part of my reading of a bunch of Star Wars comics I picked up on the Dark Horse digital sale just before Marvel pulled in the comics rights. Dark Empire, despite being very popular and having some astonishing art from Cam Kennedy and latterly Jim Baike is pretty bloomin' weak. It tries to do so much and felt awfully rushed. Didn't get on with it at all.

Star Wars Invasion by another art droid, in this case Colin Wilson working on a story by Tom Taylor 9whose since made a bit of a name for himself) is much more like it. A series of mini telling an ongoing story its really a ripping read. It gathers momemtum as it goes on and gradually gets better and better detailing an invasion by some big scary aliens about 25 years after the first (proper first) film. Alas just as it really takes off with the great mini 'Revalations' it ends it seems.Sales, creators moving on, who knows but it leaves a LOT dangling alas.

Which is a real shame as it does for me what The Force Awakens should have. Its alludes and has direct links to the originals (Han, Luke Leia all appear) but it doesn't dwell on them. It concentrates on the new characters it creates. And while thise characters have similarilty to the originals they are distinct in both the specifics and their relationship. It deals with family but is not a direct copy. Everything is clearly helped by Colin Wilson's simply perfect art but it had the courage to be its own thing. Not a brilliant comic, but like proper Star Wars immense fun.

Professor Bear

You had me at Colin Wilson doing Star Wars.

Apestrife

Hellboy in hell #10.

Really really liked this one. Beautiful. The sort of send off (that perhaps isn't one?) that I wouldn't mind if Dredd got one day.