Colin YNWA

Quote from: The monarch on 27 May, 2016, 08:55:49 PM
So scooby apocalypse....pretty darn good

I know i am shocked too

Really... really....

REALLY?

Do tell us more.

The Adventurer

To be fair, it is Giffen and DeMatteis. If anyone could make a questionable idea good, its that pair.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

I shan't be touching it with a 10 foot barge poll, but please do tell what floated your boat!

The Monarch

Think of it like the archie horror comics making something almost childish and reimagining it into a genuinly intering premise. Its giffen and demetteis so that kind of gives you an idea of the kind of dialogue.. i was really surprised by how good it was kind makes me wanna try that mad max wacky races book now

Professor Bear

The Giff and D-Matt do a good job as ever, but I'm not sure how Jim Lee sleeps at night saying this was his concept, as it steals Mystery Incorporated wholesale.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The monarch on 27 May, 2016, 09:09:04 PMkind makes me wanna try that mad max wacky races book now
As a Squaxx that should be perfect for you anyway, it's got Mark Sexton on art duties. Beautiful!

Ah, I also believe I said i'd follow ul my last pull post. Delated but here it is!....

Kicking the slog off was Cinema Purgatorio #1, which looked and felt like Moore and O'Neill having a jolly good horror romo and briught some friends as well. Perhaps not setting the world on fire but very enjoyable none the less and as I said, the star duo brought their A-game and that was worth the price of admittance. Following on from that was The Spirit #10, which is just pure magic. Wagners got it by the collar and is flinging this title around by the neck like a mad man and churning out quite the story to it as well, such a shame it won't last 12 issues more as it's really rather perfect.

Kennel Block Blues #4 wraps the series up in fine form and i'd happily have more of this delightful little series, or at least double dio for the trade to give it a second wind. Bloody great stuff, as is Badger #4. It's got Putin in all his characaturish, over the top and ridiculous self and hopefully he'll get his arse handed to him soon enough. Badger is delightful a mad man as ever. Following on from these was Future Quest #1, the star of my pull this week as it's quite superb. I'm not really familiar with any of these characters beyond Johnny Quest and Space Ghost but it's already a bloody fantastic comic. Really, really digged this first issue.

Next up was Spawn #263 which is...sadly just OK. As a first impression it works, I know who Spawn is (and who Angela is, oh yes I saw that snide jab Mcfarlone!) and where he currantly stand, but maybe after skipping the Satan Saga wars this wasn't the best jumping on point. We'll see. Invincible #128 is it's ussual sublime self, crazy fight sequences and god like art (Cory Walker is a gem) it's probably one of the best comics i'm reading right now. Grizzly Shark #2 is also pretty bloody great but in a far more base, schlocky way. It's pure fun with buckets of gore involved, and I don't need much else to justify reading it!

Colin YNWA

Oh comic hauls
Are wonderful
Oh comics hauls are wonderful
They're full of Sex, Moon Girls and Johnnys
Oh Goddamned comic hauls are wonderful

Sometimes ya comic haul just sings I tells ya, just sings and this is one such day. Not a duffer amongst them. AND it included Judge Dredd 6, which I've talked about elsewhere and enjoy it very much for what it is rather than what its not.

Can't be bothered trying to pick a Haulmaster General as they're all, all of um GREAT. Two real up turns, Cinema Purgatorio 2 is much closer to the comic I wanted it to be and Moore and O'Neill produce a strip worthy of their names. Quite brilliant. Likewise Cry Havoc 6 finally clicked fully, this has been dallying near cancellation corner for me BUT at last with this issue something, God knows what, fell into place and I hope this continues like this.

Two top Ennis war stories in top Ennis war story form Dreaming Eagle 5 and Johnny Red 7 both set up their conclusions perfectly.

Unfollow 8 should be followed by EVERYONE it continues to be superb, as does The Spirit 11 (weep next issue is the last) as is Sex 28 all great examples of great series.

Two new arcs starting very well Paper Girls 6 and Moon Girl 7 both wonderful (actually if I could be arsed thinking about it this might be comic of the haul). The ending to Moon Girl is one of the most bestest funnest things I've seen in a good long time and so bloody obvious. If you miss Rocket Girl (and who doesn't, the bloody idiots who didn't read it that's who!) read this joyous book.

The only thing wrong with my Goddamned 4 is I got a very inappropriate alternative cover, which is fun, but this comic does not do fun it does the most gloriously entertaining grimdark I've ever read.

Finally Nowhere Men 10 see this book back on top form with one of the best parts yet.

To be honest pretty much the perfect comics haul.

The Adventurer

I forgot I had backed Cinema Purgatorio, and had never claimed my digital copy of issue #1. So I did that.

I liked it. I thought the other strips were all excellent. Will probably keep up with it for the time being. I just wish Avatar had DRM-Free digital downloads.

I also liked Uber and Rover Red Charlie which had free issues with my backing. I might follow up on those.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Rover Red Charlie is the best post apocalyptic anything since One Boy and his Dog!

Yeah, it's a bloody good comic.

Hawkmumbler

Once again I gathered quite the haul this week so i'm going to have to blitz over some things quickly so I can get to where I wanna be...

Assassination Classroom vol.10 landed just now, looking forward to sinking my teeth into this i'm bloody loving this little tale, Weekly Shonen Jump #26 welcomes One-Punch Man back, huzzah! And Nowhere Men #10 brings ghe series back to it's dizzying hights of quality that I love it so for, whilst Doctor Who 4th #3 cotinues to be an excellent portrail of the early Tom Baker era hammer type serials.

I completely agree with Colin as far as Cinema Purgatorio #2 is concerned, a much improved anthology over the first issue, loving this. Johnny Red #7 and Dreaming Eagles #6 bring both series towards their conclusion and i'll very happily shell out for the trades of both. Ennis cann't half write a good war comic. Cry Havoc #6 is just a solid issue of a ussually very good series but I trust in Spurrier to bring the goods in the next issue!

Right, now onto the meaty stuff! Rufus Dayglo concludes his magnum opus in Last Gang in Town #6, and if rumours ate true we might well be seeing this return as an ongoing, and i'd lap it up like no tomorrow. Rufus is a genius and this is pure, unadulterated, punk comics in the vein of Deadline and Revolver. An absolute joy to read from beggining to end and a must for Squaxx!

Savage Dragon #214 marks 1 year anniversery since I started reading the mighty funny book, and i'm every bit as in love with it now as when I picked up FCBD 2015, Larsen has constructed such a vivid and detailed world that i'm finding magnificently enjoyable and engaging, wonderfully illustrated and smart and continuously suprising. Long may my adulation continue!

With The Spirit #11 we see the penultimate step in Wagners tribute to Eisners masterpiece, it's just perfect comics, utterly enjoyable in all respects and i'll look forward to reading it all again once complete. But with one Wagner story reaching it's end, another begins with The Shadow Death of Margo Lane #1, written and illustrated by Wagner it looks to be an utter joy, and should fill the whole in my heart left by The Spirit quite nicely.

I, Cosh

Well, it's not often I buy a comic which Colin doesn't, so let's start with Archangel #1. It takes some big balls to open your alternate history sci-fi story with a man quite literally going back in time and killing his own grandfather but I think we can assume that William Gibson knows enough about genre tropes to treat this as a deliberate provocation. The basic setup - rival factions from the future attempting to influence the course of history - is reminiscent of his recent novel The Peripheral but the setup is fun and I think I'm in for the whole series.

Also has a decent text piece where Gibson acknowledges his overuse of superhot ninja women characters like Molly but says he doesn't really care because she's just too cool.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 June, 2016, 09:07:23 PM
Quite brilliant. Likewise Cry Havoc 6 finally clicked fully, this has been dallying near cancellation corner for me BUT at last with this issue something, God knows what, fell into place and I hope this continues like this.
I hope this is just a typo and you pair haven't somehow managed to pick up the final issue a month early. I've been enjoying this one from the start and I'm keen to see how it ends. I notice that the trade is optimistically listed as Vol. 1 but no word on any further issues.

Elsewhere in Spurrier corner, there's still no sign of the last issue of The Spire, so I had to make to with Weavers #2.

Will there ever be an end to the hordes of mythical creatures brought kicking and screaming into the modern world? Not if Si can help it. I wasn't too impressed with the first issue of this, partly because the gangland setting seemed pretty unconvincing (yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds) but this was a big step up. Some decent plot twists and a bit more intrigue about what the titular Weavers are goes a long way.

Black Road #2 (or Northlanders 52 if you prefer) also marked a significant improvement on the first issue as we get some characters opening out and a
generous helping of that grim Norse stoicism and brutality which Wood does rather well. It's interesting how much an individual artist's work can vary. Garry Brown's interior art on this series is perfectly serviceable. It tells the story without any obvious errors but also without ever being in any way special. Yet the cover to this issue is absolutely stunning (as was that one Anderson cover he did a while ago.) I appreciate they could be done in different media and the whole purpose of a cover is to grab the attention but you'd expect, at the very least, some of the same compositional sense would be applied.

Think I mentioned in another thread how much I've enjoyed Dan Abnett's short-lived run on Hercules. I didn't know anything about the Marvel character but picked up the first one on a whim (or possibly a sale, it's hard to remember) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Over six issues, Abnett has created a fun supporting cast, including Gilgamesh as Herc's dark side, and set up a clash between these archetypes of the old world and the (excruciatingly neologistically named) new.

All this groundwork then undone by the demands of the summer's big crossover event and Dan's new deal with DC. Bah.
We never really die.

JamesC

I was really pissed off about Hercules. That was a great comic and has so much potential but it seems it's all to be wasted.

Most disappointed I've been since they cancelled IDW Rogue Trooper (I'm still hopeful that Tharg may one day approach that writer).

Hawkmumbler

Another week, another pile of comics to read. Is there a better way to spend one's time? None!

Kicking the week off as ussual is Weekly Shonen Jump #27, and it's somewhat disapointing that Boruto just seems to be going through the same move's as it's mother series, I had hopped for someing...better. Meanwhile Toriko throws several spanners in the works and Bleach jumps the shark.

Next up was Grizzlyshark #3, i'll be sad to see this series go, it was rather delightful but I doub't the silly premise could extend to much more than another issue after this. Grizzlyshark vs. Invincible when?! Headlopper #4 concludes this superb quarterly series, and i'll eagerly await the TPB. Such a brilliant little adventure series in the vein of Aragones, with gorgeous art too boot.

Another new series to his the stands is Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1, now i've never read GA but i've always thought it looked resoundingly cute, and a fucking adore Lumberjanes with all my being so anything set in this universe was going to be a must buy anyway. And it's a damn good first issue, damn damn good. Next was Doctor Who 11th v.2 #10 which continues to be perfect sci-fi comics and perfect Doctor Who. I do hope the rumours of a creative geam shake up for the next story line isn't true because it might force me to drop the book.

Finally was The Maxx #32. Magic, just pure magic. Sam Kieth writes a brilliant tale of redemption and loss like no comic i've ever read, and is brilliant to behold. Long may it continue thus!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 June, 2016, 11:34:09 AM

Finally was The Maxx #32. Magic, just pure magic. Sam Kieth writes a brilliant tale of redemption and loss like no comic i've ever read, and is brilliant to behold. Long may it continue thus!

Alas won't this be finishing soon. Can't remember how long the original series lasted but we'really close to the end now?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 June, 2016, 05:42:56 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 June, 2016, 11:34:09 AM

Alas won't this be finishing soon. Can't remember how long the original series lasted but we'really close to the end now?
35 issues. I shall miss it terribly, but it's a title I shall revisit regularly.