Main Menu

Lone Wolf and Cub

Started by shaolin_monkey, 24 May, 2012, 08:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

It's entirely possible to get the wrong idea about LW&C from single volumes, and criticisms formed will certainly hold up if you never read the full run.  The repetitive early volumes, for instance, are simply the setting being established so that it's possible to show the extent of Ogami's commitment to the spirit of Bushido rather than the earthly demands of a violent and unfair social system, siding as he often does with outsiders like women, Christians, and even a gunsmith whose tools Ogami takes as his own despite this on the surface seeming to fly in the face of stereotyped notions of samurai honor.
The story is essentially old Japan versus new Japan, but the "new" Japanese way of victory at any cost by any means represented by Retsudo's Yagyu ninja is simply the feudal system Japan has practiced for centuries taken to its logical end, while the anachronistic spirit of Bushido of the old Japan practiced by Ogami is the radical idea of justice applied equally to all before him that could only really be embraced by the guy whose day job was to chop the heads of those at the top of the social pecking order.

LW&C is a masterpiece of comics storytelling and well worth seeking out.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Professah Byah on 01 June, 2012, 03:43:13 PM
LW&C is a masterpiece of comics storytelling and well worth seeking out.

I read a volume maybe 15 years ago (can't recall which) after seeing Shogun Assassin, and then the LW&C films. I didn't like it at all (can't remember why).

Last month I decided to give the series another try, starting from the beginning. I'm absolutely hooked. Every page is breathtaking.

Colin YNWA

Knew there was a thread in these parts about Lone Wolf and Cub. Anyway saw this in Dark Horse's March Solicitations and thought it might be of interest. In DH's omnibus series, slighty reduced size but LOADS packed in the first volume of a Lone Wolf and Cub series, very tempted by this.

QuoteLONE WOLF AND CUB OMNIBUS VOLUME 1 TP
Kazuo Koike (W), Goseki Kojima (A), and Frank Miller (Cover)
On sale May 22
b&w, 712 pages
$19.99
TP, 5" x 7"
A samurai epic of staggering proportions, the acclaimed Lone Wolf and Cub begins its second life at Dark Horse Manga with new, larger editions of over 700 pages, value priced. The brilliant storytelling of series creator Kazuo Koike and the groundbreaking cinematic visuals of Goseki Kojima create a graphic-fiction masterpiece of beauty, fury, and thematic power. Collects Lone Wolf and Cub volumes 1-2, and stories from volume 3.
• Covers by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley.
• Eisner and Harvey Award winner.
• Over one million copies sold of the original Dark Horse series!
"Koike and Kojima tell their story masterfully and artfully, portraying a man, a boy, and a country on their journey into Hell." —Frank Miller

The Adventurer

Might it actually be larger then the original manga volumes? If its typical Dark Horse Omnibus sized?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 14 December, 2012, 08:20:38 AM
Might it actually be larger then the original manga volumes? If its typical Dark Horse Omnibus sized?

Oh actually good point, BUT its' 5 by 7 (inches) according to that listing, so would that be the original size?

The Adventurer

The Adventurer

Doing a quick check here using the Dark Horse website (which is nice enough to actually list book dimensions).... Original Lone Wolf and Cub manga volumes were printed at 4" x 6".

So the Omnibus is a bit larger. though not by much apparently.

And typical DH omnibuses are 6" x 9". So its still smaller then the other omnibuses

shaolin_monkey

It's being reprinted eh?  Excellent!  I have the complete set of the originals anyway, but I suggest everyone dives in and takes advantage of the reprint.  It is a truly staggering achievement, and deserves to be on everyone's bookshelves.

sheldipez

I've been going through these volumes (currently at V.22) and it's good for newcomers that they're reprinting these as some volumes are a small fortune (v27, which I need!, goes for anything between £30 and £50).

Worth every penny. Great series.

Tombo

£30 to £50, cripes I'm glad I picked up mine when they were £6.99 or 3 for £15.  The Adventurer is indeed correct the original books are around 4"x6".  5"x7" is a typical sized for normal manga volumes.

HdE

If these are being reprinted, I'd VERY much like to get some info on them - it's a series I've wanted to check out for ages, but the out-of-print-ness and silly prices of volumes has put me off previously.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

sheldipez

Quote from: Tombo on 14 December, 2012, 06:36:04 PM
£30 to £50, cripes I'm glad I picked up mine when they were £6.99 or 3 for £15.  The Adventurer is indeed correct the original books are around 4"x6".  5"x7" is a typical sized for normal manga volumes.

A second hand copy of volume 27 popped up on Amazon (sold by Amazon themselves) for the sum of £25 so finally purchased it at a "half decent" price (next best is £50 on Amazon and £40 on ebay).

It's a bloody good job these are being reprinted for any newcomers to the series as it looks like there's a few other volumes that are edging towards this price too. Volume 1 of the omnibus includes all of Vol 1&2 and "stories" from Vol3 so not a bad price.

Lone Wolf 2100 Omnibus contains all three volumes of that series and is currently £12 on amazon, I know it's not the same quality of material but I couldn't not pre-order it for that price.

Onto Samurai Executioner series next for me I think.  :D

Professor Bear

HOW much?  I think I still have the complete series sitting in a box because I literally could not give the fucking things away at one point.

sheldipez

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 04 February, 2013, 02:03:52 PM
HOW much?  I think I still have the complete series sitting in a box because I literally could not give the fucking things away at one point.

Vols 5, 7, 9, 14, 12, 17 all nearing £20. Volume 13 & 16 at £30 mark. Looks like a good time to sell up if you're after the cash now  ;)

Proudhuff

I'm heading for The Huff-loft even as we speak, well next weekend  ;)

Expect a heads up, will list here in case someones a cheap quickie (and wants to buy LW and C)
DDT did a job on me