Main Menu

Michel Fiffe's COPRA

Started by Hawkmumbler, 24 February, 2016, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well now, are you all ready for a glowing endorsement? You better bloody be, because it's fan-frickin'-tastic stuff, and that stuff would be none other than Michel Fiffe's glorious tribute to 80's Suicide squad and Doom Patrol comics, COPRA.

Fiffe is very his own artist, theirs nothing quite like his style on the market. However he's not afraid to wear his influences on his sleave and the general worldy aesthetic to COPRA is an odd amalgamation of the two previously mentioned DC titles and Masamune Shirow cyber-punk. It's a brilliantly unique look, the two worlds acting as contrast and magnetically attractive at the same time, to form a beautiful collage of vibrante art and grimey textures. It's quite unlike anything else i've ver seen in comics.

I've only devoured the first TPB thus far, collecting #1-6 but will get on to the next two as soon as I possibly can as it's that rarest of things I look for in comics, FUN!

http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/product/copra-round-one

radiator

Bought the first volume last year, lovely book, dig the art, but tried to read it several times and I just couldn't make head nor tail of it. I literally didn't have a clue what was going on in the story, who the characters were or why I should care. It just seemed like lots of 'stuff' happening with no throughline or connective tissue. Never returned to it.

The Adventurer

Glad you've gotten your hands on that one. It's an excellent book.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 24 February, 2016, 06:55:12 PM
Glad you've gotten your hands on that one. It's an excellent book.
Yeah, i'd been recommended it a few times in Travelling Man but your recomendation over on the NCBD thread got me to give it a whirl via Comixology. Loved it so much I nabbed the trades.

Hawkmumbler

Well finally got around to reading Round Two and it's simply masterful stuff. Round Three is right up next on the reading pile and I can't wait to dig into that as well. Honestly, if you like GOOD hand on heart comics that are the pure vision of a single creator (yeah, didn't realise until now that Fiffe's writes, illustrates, hand letters, inks, and colours it all himself) BUY COPRA!!!

The Adventurer

He puts every staple in the spine by hand. Well not really, but I'm sure he wishes he could. He's true believer in comic making craft.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Welp that was Round Three and it was another superb read. The idea to go for a brief anthology based arc, a series of self contained stories, is nothing new but it's how Fiffe handled it that was masterful. Having events occure relatevly congruently as well as tying up loose ends from the AM Rhein arc (Guth and Rax stories) was a great way of keeping the series going. Somewhat beffudinlingly though i'm left windering WHO Copra has left to face. Vitas and DyDy are well and truely dead, Olivers squad either captured or neutralised. The only road block I see is Xenia going power mad and those Kirdyesque interdimensional dudes. Either way, Round Four has become one of my most anticipated releases of 2016 and i'm hungrily waiting for more.

Also, serious props to Bergen Street for the reprint quality. You can always judge a comic press by the quality of the paper they use and it's not nessecarily cost or quality bassed, but how well it carries the art work. The rough pulpy texture used here make's every pen stroke and every pencil line look fresh and vivd on the oages. One of the best quality books i've seen in years.

Hawkmumbler

Well call me a swine and all but I somehow neglected to notice COPRA has returned, bi-monthly, with #26. Added to that the spin-off COPRA VS. #1 is off to the press and Bergen Street will be releasing Round 4 soon. All this lovely COPRA goodness!