Main Menu

Does anyone still read John Constantine comics?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 13 May, 2016, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 May, 2016, 09:45:35 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 May, 2016, 02:34:22 PM
ever since I saw a picture of JC in spandex with a  big doctor-strangesque collar I thought Nah., I'll give that a miss.

Oh dear.  The dialogue would appear to be cliched old trollocks too.  (It's 'This power is tearing me up inside', John.)

Oh for fucks sake!
Someone should be shot for this.

ThryllSeekyr

I just put that up on the FB wall of a girl I know who use to collect those. Mainly ones with the Glenn Fabry covers. When they were good.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 May, 2016, 09:45:35 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 May, 2016, 02:34:22 PM
ever since I saw a picture of JC in spandex with a  big doctor-strangesque collar I thought Nah., I'll give that a miss.

Oh dear.  The dialogue would appear to be cliched old trollocks too.  (It's 'This power is tearing me up inside', John.)

That is genuinely the worst thing i've seen today. DC gotta keep grasping at them straws.

Tjm86

I managed to limp on to the end of the Azarello run.  After that I gave up.  Looking at this I am sooooo glad I have never felt the temptation to return.

DC should really reconsider giving editorial control to their work experience students.

TordelBack

When I first encounterd John (towards the end of American Gothic), he was teleporting to Justice League satellites for spandex-heavy briefings with Alex Luthor and hobnobbing with Sargon and the Phantom Stranger. Later, he was chatting with Batman and Superman at various funerals, so for me he's always been part of the superhero world.  But even I find that image hard to take.

Theblazeuk

Yeah back in Swamp Thing days he was around the superheroic crowd extensively. Even when they broke him away from the DC world, he still mucked around with Zatanna and that period of his life was mentioned (just without any spandex).

But he's never been a superhero.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 May, 2016, 07:03:32 AM
I managed to limp on to the end of the Azarello run.  After that I gave up. 

Really?  I thought the Azarello run was excellent!  Very different in tone from preceding writers' runs - JC, while more or less directing the show, was very often doing so as an enigmatic background presence (a tiny bit like Dredd in the 80s) rather than inner-monologuing his way through every panel.  And I thought he pretty much nailed the scouse / cockney mashup accent - but not being a Brit myself* I'm probably not the best man to judge.

*Well, 50% by blood, but pure Mick by birth and upbringing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Geoff

The Garth Ennis run and the ones in the prison drawn by Richard Corben were just fantastic. 
Some of the Azarello run and some of the short stories and one shots were also pretty damn good.  Heartland was superb. 

It did seem to loose its way a bit and the Bisley run wasn't great, despite some lovely covers.

But I had no idea that they'd completely shafted him with the dross shown above! Why would DC do that..!?

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 May, 2016, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 May, 2016, 07:03:32 AM
I managed to limp on to the end of the Azarello run.  After that I gave up. 

Really?  I thought the Azarello run was excellent! 

I have to be honest, I thought that there was a lot to Azarello's run that was high quality but it seemed to be losing steam.  Afterwards I felt that it completely lost the plot.  There was an American sensibility to his run that Constantine as a character sort of got lost in.  I think I need to go back and look at that work.

To me the classic episode was always the one where Constantine managed to trick the devil to save his friends soul by getting him to drink holy water.  Will Simpson on art duties helped.  To me it was archetypal Constantine: the con artist.