Main Menu

Prog 1941 - Green and pleasant land

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 25 July, 2015, 11:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bogbrush on 29 July, 2015, 11:26:10 PM
I love how Henry Flint draws Hershey, with the pinched face, bitten bottom lip and haunted eyes showing how high the stakes are for her.

This^^^

DDT did a job on me

russledust

The last page of Helium features a fantastic airship- have we seen it before somewhere else in the Edgington Verse? I'm on the lookout for references to Brass Sun, Stickleback and The Red Seas!
Dredd
Nikolai Dante
Savage

My top 3, in order of preference :D

Hawkmumbler

That airship....i've seen it in another Edginton story but can't for the life of me remember which... GAH! Another 5 days of speculation! The torture of the weekly comics!

But this weeks was a fine prog. Outlier is a little...flat. It's an OK story but I doub't the saga as a whole will keave any impact on me.

Both Helium and Jaiger continue to be fantastic, as per, and both will be continuously enjoyed by myself if they maintain the current momentum!

Absalom was a hoot, and what a cover! Rennie once agains show's he can write exposition well while still making it entertaining as all hell! I feel more sorry for those police officers, mind you. Because all Geese have hellfire burning in their heads...

But it's Dredd that takes top spot this week. Mr. Williams and Mr. Flint are crafting something quite special here, and quite horrifying at the same time. Just classic comic making, and might well be one of ghe all time classic Dredd tales.

BPP

I love how Williams fits Dredd into this world... He's very much the Wagnerian 'stoic tough SOB who is invariably right' but is much more distanced and alienated from everyone and everything around him. He's not looking at them as flawed, they're looking at him as flawed. It makes these stories so much more about the cast, the city and the myth of Dredd than the actual grumpy a-hole who has barely a word to say and never a good one. Add to that Henry Flint and you have THE definitive post-DoC Dredd.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mikey

Quote from: russledust on 30 July, 2015, 04:05:37 PM
The last page of Helium features a fantastic airship- have we seen it before somewhere else in the Edgington Verse?

You're thinking of Stickleback I'll wager...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Arsom airships (let's not get into questions of terminology this time!)  are such a common feature of the Edgiverse that the immediate reaction is that we must have seen it before - as Mikey says the current incumbent is perhaps most reminiscent of the Countess Bernoulli's behemoth Mistral from SB: London's Burning, but it's actully quite different.

The thing Helium reminds me most of is Reynold's Terminal World, with its Spearpoint city rising above the energy-state-crippled Outzone, scene of conflict between the ground-dwelling Skullboys and the airborne Swarm. 

Bolt-01

Tords- I'd not thought of that till you said it, but what a great idea. Top book as well.

Goaty

Great prog!

Can't wait to see Dirty Frank again.

Magnetica

Quote from: BPP on 31 July, 2015, 12:36:36 PM
I love how Williams fits Dredd into this world... He's very much the Wagnerian 'stoic tough SOB who is invariably right' but is much more distanced and alienated from everyone and everything around him. He's not looking at them as flawed, they're looking at him as flawed. It makes these stories so much more about the cast, the city and the myth of Dredd than the actual grumpy a-hole who has barely a word to say and never a good one. Add to that Henry Flint and you have THE definitive post-DoC Dredd.

Great post - totally nails it.

Apestrife

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 July, 2015, 07:00:00 PM
Quote from: BPP on 31 July, 2015, 12:36:36 PM

Great post - totally nails it.

I second that :) !

Spikes

A cracking prog - once again.

A while ago, things took a wee downward spiral, and barring a few honourable exceptions, everything became distinctly average , but things have been aces for a reassuring number of progs now.

All the strips are cooking on gas. The older thrills are doing an admiral job. New thrill Helium is simply fantastic. My 2nd fave in the prog from the get go.
And of course we have Williams, and Flint back on Dredd. Superb stuff.
You cant beat Wagner, well not when he's feeling it, but Williams' take on Dredd really hits the spot.

More, and more Dredd from this chap, please.

Link Prime

Just finished the 1-2 punch of Progs 1940 & 1941. I'll echo overall sentiment on Dredd- loving it.

Very interesting design for the entity possessed Nixon, reminiscent of Warlock from Marvel's New Mutants.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our take on Prog 1941

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/07/2000ad-prog-1941.html

Really enjoying both Williams and Flint on Dredd and Edginton and D'Israeli on Helium. Truly fantastic line-up at the moment!

Muon

Interesting that you were similarly enthused by the cover. I think it struck a chord with me because it was kind of narrative-driven rather than image-driven, if you know what I mean. I really regret saying recent covers had been "samey", though. I had a look on my iPad and was reminded that there've been a lot of fantastic covers even just in 2015.

Pop Culture Bandit

Yeah, it's going to be a tough "Top 10 2000AD Covers" article this year...