Main Menu

Prog 1943: Cold Hard Kashan!

Started by Tjm86, 08 August, 2015, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Well the cover by Rowland worked well for me.  Another quality piece for what is the highlight of the prog for me.  Coleby is perfect for the strip and again this is developing nicely, flicking between past and present to develop the lead character. 

Future Shock with art by John Higgins!  Reads a bit old school but works nicely. 

I think I've lost it a bit with this series of Outlier.  Going to need to go back and re-read from the start I think.  Richardson gets to let loose with a quality double spread.  Actually, thinking about it this again harks back to the good old days.

Helium lets loose with a couple of old cliches it seems that had been laid out over the last few issues.  Bit of a wordy filler compared to the action of the last couple of weeks.  Not horrendous, just a change of pace.

Judge Dredd starts channeling Game of Thrones as the White Walkers finally approach the wall.  Comedy timing from Dirty Frank:  "Dirty Frank always wants to go toilet when Judge Dredd is in immediate proximity.  But he feels safe too.  And look he gets a cuddle!"  Plus an interesting use of multiple artists for flashback.  Flint has really excelled himself though.

Echidna

Flint and Williams are kicking all kinds of ass right now. The D'Israeli cameo is a lovely touch (or is it a very accurate imitation?) and the moments of comic relief ("I can no longer feel my balls") are well placed. Maitland's one of my favourite supporting Judges so [spoiler]I'm glad Nixon hasn't killed her... yet[/spoiler].

No big surprises in Helium but it's perfectly executed, as always.

I don't think Outlier's ever going to be anyone's favourite, but it's been getting better with every episode and I'm interested to see how it wraps up.

The Future Shock is... a Future Shock, and I'm saving Jaegir till next week so I can read it in one sitting. Good prog!

IndigoPrime

Same thoughts here re Maitland. Also, it just struck me that there's a decent gender balance in the Prog right now, which is nice to see. (I'm also finding it a really good read, and loved that close to this week's Dredd.)

Buttonman

No Prog in Paisley - is it Meg week too? Didn't get that either! Did get my art prints for renewing my sub - very nice!

Darren Stephens

Superb cover. Only read Dredd so far, as I've not yet completely read last weeks prog. This one strip is probably my fave of recent years. Story is, as you'd expect, famtastic. Flint has seriously hit it out of the park with his art here. Sublime comics!  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Geoff

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 August, 2015, 05:32:52 PM
No Prog in Paisley - is it Meg week too? Didn't get that either! Did get my art prints for renewing my sub - very nice!

No sign of my prog today either  :'(

Fungus

Is Rowland Ronald, 'cos it looks very Alex Ronald ? Best depiction of Atalia yet seen in my opinion. Spoiled for covers, we are.

Colin YNWA

Been on me holidays and so got back yesterday to two progs.When that happens I treat myself to readin gstories back to back, i.e. 2 Dredd's 2 Heliums etc etc. Nice change but makes the Prog review a little tricky. That said everything is on the fine form that its all been on of late. Dredd is just superb, Helium divine, Jaegir but far the best its been and Outlier great fun. The Future Shock was a little loose and over indulged for what was a fairly standard 'twist' - still looked great and did no harm.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Fungus on 09 August, 2015, 12:42:00 AM
Is Rowland Ronald, 'cos it looks very Alex Ronald ? Best depiction of Atalia yet seen in my opinion. Spoiled for covers, we are.

Yes, it's by Alex Ronald. Cover of the year....?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

Cover - Really good - action packed and really well painted. I'm not sure Atalia looks much like she does in the strip but that probably has more to do with Coleby's very distinct style on the strip that anything else.

Dredd - I'm really enjoying this and got a thrill out of the little flashback using a different artist. I hope the threat all kicks off next prog and isn't hand-waved away as sometimes happens.

Helium - Wonderful. This strip gets better as it goes on.

Future Shock - Pure class throughout. The artwork is beautiful and the strip was fun and to the point. The aliens were like an opposite version of what's-his-face out of The Order.

Outlier - I've been skipping this the past few weeks - not because I don't like it but I was a bit confused and needed a recap. I'm intending to read it all in one go. 

Jaegir - Another entertaining episode. I'm getting a little tired of the Strigoi baddies that keep popping up - I'd like some variety in the baddie grunts.

Another great prog all in all.

Jacqusie

Quote from: JamesC on 09 August, 2015, 07:26:36 PM

Future Shock - Pure class throughout. The artwork is beautiful and the strip was fun and to the point. The aliens were like an opposite version of what's-his-face out of The Order.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought the Higgins artwork was back to some of his best. Lovely paints and colours that reminded me of the days he painted those lush purple Dredd tales. Much better than the muddy computer graphics... More please!

Si

Steve Green

I'd love to see John do another Dredd in that style, maybe in the Megazine to give it some room to breathe.

JamesC

I'd like to see him do some Strontium Dog in that style. I don't think he's ever done that strip has he?